Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new to the site, I jusrt started target shooting about a year ago, haven't realy fired muh since gettingout of the US Army 37 years ago. I own a Ruger SR40, and just bought a Marlin 1895 45-70 about a month ago, I am trying get to the range, but I live in New Hampshire still been to cold for this old man just had snow last night hope to hook up with a friend the weekend after Easter. Any tips on how to keep the kick from breaking my shoulder, and siting the iron sites and new lever action scope would be very helpful.

Bill

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Welcome from NE Indiana. Getting bore sighted will help depending on the skill of the boresiter. If you are just going to shoot paper learn to reload and shoot reduced power loads. I have a buddy that uses a PAST RECOIL PAD for BPCR SILHOUETTES.

Reactions: Bill G.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina! We need a pic of the Marlins by the way! Now, you can also attach a "recoil" butt pad and replace the "brick" that is currently on there. Limb Saver makes one that screws right on, just remove the Marlin butt pad that is on there now and replace it with the appropriate Limb Saver and you can shoot that rilfe in a t-shirt all day long, and as mentioned above, reloading light loads will make that rifle shoot like a 22cal recoil wise. But the butt pad replacement will make a HUGE difference!

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Texas. If you can find some MAGTECH Cowboy Action Loads they will have a little less recoil to hold you over until you get set up for reloading.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Welcome from the Allegheny Mountains of Central PA!

Pull up a chair and make yourself at home, you're going to like it here.

I can fully understand getting started over again with shooting after not shooting for so many years. I didn't fire a rifle in decades either up until last summer. I got the bug now!

Sight in the iron sights first at short range so you acclimate yourself to holding the rifle property, controlling your breathing, and squeezing the trigger! Don't worry about a scope right now.

Mike T.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Welcome from the Ozarks of Arkansas

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome Aboard

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! John

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.