Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a Remington man for 40 years, and a Savage man for a 2 years also. History: My son in law has a Savage 12 that will shoot as well or better than any factory rifle I have ever seen. ( We are dedicated prairie dog hunters. I shoot a M700 Milspec 5r., .223. ) After seeing how his Savage will group on a target and in the field, I decided I needed to let go of my distaste for Savage rifles and form an opinion based on facts.

Since my awakening, I have looked at Marlin XR as a possible receiver donor instead of Savage, because of similar accuracy abilities with the barrel collar system. ( I was I gunsmith until more $$ came along several years ago. Built many custom rifles. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349679 ) But, I have heard very little about the Marlin XR7 until this forum. And, frankly, am a little trepidatiuos about Marlin new products at this point. I have worked on hundreds of thousands Marlins over the years, and found them to be a quality piece, but that has been awhile.

Point: Since I can spend $$ with Savage and not be concerned about quality, my question is simple. Why is a Marlin MR7 worth taking a chance on when the quality control is not in place.

Thanks for your thoughts,

taylorwkrs

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
If you're looking at it only as a receiver donor, get one and don't look back. The only QC issues I know of with the X7 is that some short-action barrels have one or two threads missing. And with a Marlin instead of a Savage/Stevens you get a nice looking rifle in the end. If Savage had any since they'd design a nice bolt shroud for their rifles.

But...I'm biased. ;D

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would recommend the Savage. I don't think anyone is building a more accurate bolt action rifle today and at a great price. They don't just throw them together and hope they will be accurate. They build them to be accurate in every aspect and not just claim they have a great barrel. It takes more than a great barrel to be accurate. But one of the lower end models with the synthetic stock on it and throw away the stock and put a full bedded Hogue overmolder stock on it and you will have one fine gun.

Take a look at this video and make up your own mind. This shows every aspect of the construction of their guns and you will see why they are so accurate. I love Marlins but right now I would stay away from them. They are being built by Remington and the Remington rifle is not what it used to be. The Savage is definitely the gun today for accuracy.

http://www.savagearms.com/accuracy/

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Hold on while I go...never mind. Have I ever mentioned I can't stand ugly rifles? Like Savages? :p ::) :-X

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The XL7 in 30-06 that my daughter bought her husband last fall shoots great for a bolt gun. Enough so to impress me and I don't really care for bolts.

·
Registered
593 Posts
MarlinXL7 said:
Hold on while I go...never mind. Have I ever mentioned I can't stand ugly rifles? Like Savages? :p ::) :-X
I wouldn't go look either because the video of the way the Savage is made is very technical. :)

Oh my bad, I thought he wanted a gun to shoot instead of one to look at. There really is a lot of difference in the way they look, just the way they are made and right now and for the past few years, Remington just is not making a great gun like they once did.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
rhendrix said:
I wouldn't go look either because the video of the way the Savage is made is very technical. :)
'Look' wasn't the word I left out. I wasn't sure if the p-word that means vomit is allowed on this forum.

Oh my bad, I thought he wanted a gun to shoot instead of one to look at. There really is a lot of difference in the way they look, just the way they are made and right now and for the past few years, Remington just is not making a great gun like they once did.
I thought he wanted it for the action... ???

·
Registered
593 Posts
MarlinXL7 said:
'Look' wasn't the word I left out. I wasn't sure if the p-word that means vomit is allowed on this forum.
I thought he wanted it for the action... ???
Okay, if he wants just the action, he would be better off getting a ruger 77. They use the old Mauser action which is still one of the best. I don't think you can buy the barreled action or just the action for a Savage anyways so he would have to get something else.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
rhendrix said:
Okay, if he wants just the action, he would be better off getting a ruger 77. They use the old Mauser action which is still one of the best. I don't think you can buy the barreled action or just the action for a Savage anyways so he would have to get something else.
Actually you can buy just the Savage action. Seems to me like Savage has a much better marketing/sales team than most other companies. However, they're failing in the aesthetic design field. ;D

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
The MR's are way different than the XL series.. if you get a early or pre 09 I wouldn't be afraid of it. but I wouldn't spend the money for either a savage or Marlin for donor reciever..only..

·
Registered
593 Posts
Gunjunkie said:
The MR's are way different than the XL series.. if you get a early or pre 09 I wouldn't be afraid of it. but I wouldn't spend the money for either a savage or Marlin for donor reciever..only..
I agree with that and I don't think you can buy just the receiver or the barreled action for the Savage. I am not sure about the Marlin.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Look over on The Savage Shooter Forum, you can buy any piece your heart desires. There are numerous suppliers not just factory. Quick

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Quickshot said:
Look over on The Savage Shooter Forum, you can buy any piece your heart desires. There are numerous suppliers not just factory. Quick
Heretics, heretics everywhere... :'( :'( :'(

·
Registered
593 Posts
Quickshot said:
Looked over the forum and found barrels but never did see any barreled actions for sell.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
taylorwkrs said:
I have been a Remington man for 40 years, and a Savage man for a 2 years also. History: My son in law has a Savage 12 that will shoot as well or better than any factory rifle I have ever seen. ( We are dedicated prairie dog hunters. I shoot a M700 Milspec 5r., .223. ) After seeing how his Savage will group on a target and in the field, I decided I needed to let go of my distaste for Savage rifles and form an opinion based on facts.

Since my awakening, I have looked at Marlin XR as a possible receiver donor instead of Savage, because of similar accuracy abilities with the barrel collar system. ( I was I gunsmith until more $$ came along several years ago. Built many custom rifles. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349679 ) But, I have heard very little about the Marlin XR7 until this forum. And, frankly, am a little trepidatiuos about Marlin new products at this point. I have worked on hundreds of thousands Marlins over the years, and found them to be a quality piece, but that has been awhile.

Point: Since I can spend $$ with Savage and not be concerned about quality, my question is simple. Why is a Marlin MR7 worth taking a chance on when the quality control is not in place.

Thanks for your thoughts,

taylorwkrs
Right now, I would buy a savage and not look back!

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
rhendrix said:
Looked over the forum and found barrels but never did see any barreled actions for sell.
That's weird--my Savage catalog lists barreled actions as available separately. I haven't gotten my 2011 catalog, so they may have changed.

·
Registered
593 Posts
MarlinXL7 said:
That's weird--my Savage catalog lists barreled actions as available separately. I haven't gotten my 2011 catalog, so they may have changed.
I hope you are correct because that is what I would like to buy and put a Hogue full bed stock on it. I was told that you could not buy just the barreled action. I will get on their site and order a catalog.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts