Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Yes, once you get your hands on one and start shooting it your bolt guns will likely sit in the closet a lot more.. One by one their numbers will dwindle as you sell them off to fund your addiction to levers in general and Marlins in particular. If you haven't started yet it is not too late, turn back now, ignorance is bliss! ;D ;D ;D

Welcome!

· Registered
618 Posts
There are so many things different about levers its almost impossible to list. Heres a few.

They can range from totally inaccurate to tack drivers and come off the line one right behind the others. Is is because the forearms and mag tubes attach to the barrells. Problems there are easy to fix though and most will shoot better than the average shooter anyway out of the box.

Once they are worn in, adjusted, or used a while they tend to be ammo eaters, especially the 357s. The only rifle I have that eats more ammon than my 357 CB is my AR15. But I enjoy the 357 more.

They will cycle faster than anythng other than a good pump action or semi auto.

They are compact and the flat sided construction makes them easy to pack.

They look like hammered puppy poop with scopes on them.

· Super Moderator
19,160 Posts
If you don't get another post it's because those two said it all.In the brush or in the rain. and the balance is so comfortable you will carry it all day with out a sling.

· Super Moderator
13,979 Posts
Light, some are short, easy to carry in the woods, very accurate spite what the gun rag experts say, and some are chambered in absolute rompin' stompin' power house rounds. Just can't beat them for a general purpose rifle.

· Registered
1,543 Posts
As the proud owner of a 1984C in .357 I offer these tips.
First, you should really consider some reloading gear if you're not set up for it. My .357 gobbles ammo faster than all get out.
Second, if you do start to reload, pay attention to cartridge length, because too long of a cartridge will not feed in a levergun without modifications.
Lastly, pay attention to bullet profile. Some don't like to feed SWC, some do. The safest bet for a levergun is some kind of a flat point, like a jacketed soft point, HP, RNFP, or something along those lines. A sharply pointed bullet, under recoil, may cause the bullets in the feed tube to detonate. I'm sure you can picture the unhealthiness of that scenario. Cast bullets are a natural in a levergun, that's all I shoot in mine.
I hope you enjoy your purchase,whatever it may be, and welcome to the Lever Club.
GH1 :)

· Registered
6,366 Posts
Another point... If you shoot lefty like me, it don't matter like on a bolt gun.

I can confirm the bit about the ability of a levergun to eat ammo. With two 357s and a 44-40, I had to start back reloading to keep them properly fed. Especially the 44-40 as store bought ammo for it can really flatten a wallet. Which leads me to a 357 being about as cheap to shoot as you'll find in a centerfire.

But a levergun in 357 is about as much fun as you can legally have with your pants on.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GH1 said:
A sharply pointed bullet, under recoil, may cause the bullets in the feed tube to detonate. I'm sure you can picture the unhealthiness of that scenario. Cast bullets are a natural in a levergun, that's all I shoot in mine.
I hope you enjoy your purchase,whatever it may be, and welcome to the Lever Club.
GH1 :)
Thanks, this is important info!!!

· Registered
618 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
Another point... If you shoot lefty like me, it don't matter like on a bolt gun.

I can confirm the bit about the ability of a levergun to eat ammo. With two 357s and a 44-40, I had to start back reloading to keep them properly fed. Especially the 44-40 as store bought ammo for it can really flatten a wallet. Which leads me to a 357 being about as cheap to shoot as you'll find in a centerfire.

But a levergun in 357 is about as much fun as you can legally have with your pants on.
It is funny but It really is a lot more fun plinking with a 357. Even empty cans jump higher, but fill a few plastic water bottles with water and watch them fly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.