Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really new to hunting,but i just thought this would be a good place to learn and listen.I have reaped the info from this sight and learned a lot,you see i hunted when i was in my teens...rabbit, ducks most of the time using 410 s 20 gauge shotguns.....well my brother introduced me to deer hunting ,i am now in my mid 50ftys,and started about three years ago with a borrowed 270 .now i have 2 30-30 guns.
one a winchester 1894-94 ranger and my newly aquired 740 westernfield (336) 30-30.If you want a light recoil cheap on ammo and easy carrying gun you cant beat a 30-30.it was 2 years before i even seen a dear,so patience is needed when hunting.last year in dec. i went with my cousin on his lease,walked to the stand,got in layed my bag down,opened it up to get my snacks...sat down looked to my left and lo and behold,two dear standing about 75 yards.i thought it was a doe and a fawn .it was pre sunrise and i aimed and hit the (doe) square in the shoulder and it dropped it shook the ground.well i text my cousin that i shot a doe and he drove his 4 wheeler about 40 min later ,i seen him stop where the doe was.i came down from my stand and walked toward him and hes saying wheres the doe you shot. i was puzzled i said you just saw it .he said no thats not a doe its a 10pt buck.i thought he was joking but a came around the corner and i went into shock...my first (doe) maybe i need new glasses...lol heres a pic

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Congratulations on a nice doe buck.

Hunting a better buck than this will be a pleasant challenge for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry ,about the spelling was at work,still half awake...lol.Thanks DWB..If i don't shoot another big one it's the first one i'll remember....weighed 180 lbs by the way not bad for a louisana deer....thanks again

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Can I borrow your old glasses??? i'd love to put that mistake on the wall of my den ;D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yall can borrow my old glasses anytime... there was a tree line behind the deer,the sun was just coming up.double checked made sure it was deer,yes they did have each four legs ,with the heavy brush behind them it was easy not to see the rack.but i was waiting for the fawn (actually it was a big doe) to clear before i shot.i'm a very cautious ,and safe ..don't point till your double sure kinda guy.but somehow i din't pay attention to the rack,more of the size...compared to what i've seen before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Darn the luck... :p

·
Registered
409 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from Eastern Ontario, Cda. (Ottawa)

Good shot.
I had the "other" problem. After two or three days in the woods, I saw racks on almost everything including stumps!! I use scopes now...

Sincerely,

JDP

Team 35 # 88
Team 30-30 # 82
Team 39 # 31

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Congratulations on a really fine buck. Looks like you went ahead and got all that trophy nonsense behind you so you can concentrate young tenders does from now on. ;) Welcome aboard and chime in often.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks' fellas,I appreciate the pos.comments and would like to add when i was at home( pre -hunting season)..I'd practice aiming at a pic of a large deer from a mag i had hanging on the wall,it had a rack that was huge,well i would just practice aiming at the shoulder,and i guess that helped..The day before there were around 10 wood ducks about 30 yards swiming in a pond and a group of racoons feeding on the corn ....it was kinda peaceful..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts