Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm Marekz and this is my first post. I grew up in new haven ct. My father worked for marlins and my uncle worked at mossbergs. I grew up around rifles, however, at the age if 12, that all ended- secondary to unfortunate circumstances. A couple of years ago I was given a marlin 30/30 and was told my father meant to give it to me. Wow- long time past. Obviously someone handled it prior or atleast tried to clean some rusty spots off the barrel. At the end of the barrel it looks like someone tried to use some sand paper. I learned how to clean the innards but I don't know how to remedy the sandpaper scratch. I looked into gun blueing but I don't think it will help with the scratch. After the age of 12 , my rifle experience ended. I'm 45 now and I want to start back up. I checked around the net/forum but couldn't get a clear answer- thank you- Mark

·
Super Moderator
13,983 Posts
Hi and welcome from Micanopy Florida. There will be some that will stop by and give you some ideas. If you post some pictures showing the scratches that will help speed up the answer you are looking for.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Welcome to MO!

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome and plenty of great info on here. Pretty good people too.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,844 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you're here! I'll bet with all the expertise here, we'll get it up and going fine! Glad you got that great old Marlin to get back "in the groove" with! John

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Welcome to the greatest Marlin site on the web. Greetings from Indiana!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
photos

Hello all, thanks for the hospitality,. i took some photos,although they kinda suck. I cant wait to shoot this rifle. i think the stock is walnut burl. i had to photo shop the sandpaper looking scratch to make it more visible- thanks-Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Man that is some purdy walnut. Yeah, it looks like it's gonna take a little blueing to get that back right. The good thing is it won't effect the way it shoots so it's just more of a cosmetic thing. Good lookin rifle!

Good Huntin'
Mop

·
Registered
990 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners Forum! As others said, try some light weight oil, gun oil or sewing machine oil and lightly buff it with steel wool, don't put too much pressure on it when you are doing this. Wipe clean and inspect for progress regularly. This might get most of it off and improve the looks. Several places, Brownells, Midway USA (both online stores) or your local gun store will have several brands of the "cold blue' in a small bottle. Follow the directions on the bottle, it is very easy. that cold blue is not very expensive.
I am unable to really see the extent of the damage, so this may or may not get you the overall appearance you want. It will still shoot well and the minor cosmetic blemishes are nothing major. Shoot and enjoy.
PS - give it a good cleaning and inspection to make sure everything looks OK.

Reactions: defcon9

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Wow! That's a beauty. Like already stated, try some cold bluing after you clean up that spot. Many cold blues can be ordered, but Birchwood-Casey Super Blue is generally available on the shelf at most major sporting goods stores. Follow the directions on the label.

A little trick I use is to heat the metal with a hair dryer first. I will dry very quickly on warm metal. After each application, lightly buff with steel wool to get an even tone of color. Repeat until satisfied. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.