Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to this thread thing. I recently purchased a 1895GBL, and I am having a rough time getting it to sight in at 100yrds. Took it to an outdoor range (which I don't do to often since its a little far away) to sight it in. Using the standard iron sights with the dove tail rear sight. Had a target out at the 100yd mark. The 1st shot was about a foot low, center of target. Readjusted, got it on paper. Kept shooting/readjusting till the dove tail was maxed out, and at that point I was shooting about 6" below the bulls-eye. I was using HSM 405 grain, 1300fps factory load. I will probably continue to use this type of ammo till I get it sighted in, and have some fun with it before moving into more expensive ammo/hand-loads for hunting. My question is, there is an indoor range that allows 45-70. It has 75ft/25yd lanes. I know the bullet shoots like a rainbow. What would I be looking at if I wanted to sight it in at 25yds for it to "zero" at 100yds? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
Welcome Sachmo,

Your probably going to need a shorter front sight. The options are:

1) Call marlin customer service and tell them your problem. They will send you a shorter front sight.

2) Adjust your rear sight to the mid point position and determine how low it shoots at that point. Then go to Skinner sights web page, they have a formula to determine what the front sight height should be, and order that sight.

3) file your front sight down until it shoots to point of aim.

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Welcome and good luck with your rifle. Just a suggestion, you might try another ammo and see how it shoots.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
They have installed the wrong front sight on your gun. This is not uncommon for them. Call Marlin and have them send you the shorter front sight. You would be just wasting your ammo till you get the front sight replaced. And welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

·
Banned
345 Posts
Just as I did with my front Skinner sights before filing them down.........I used tape or some other type of mark, to hold the sight where I wanted it, elevation wise. That way, it's easy to know whether you want to replace it, or file down Skinner blade sights, etc.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I strongly recommend you get Skinner or XS Ghost ring or maybe NECG peep sights. I've not used Skinner, but lots of guys here have. They're supposed to be sturdier than XS, but I've had good luck with my XS and NECG peep sights.

First thing is they all mount on top of the receiver, giving you a longer sight radius.

Second, with a little practice, you'll find it easier to shoot accurately with a peep/aperture sight than with a standard dovetail like what comes on Marlin.

You can expect this sort of accuracy with peep sights (assuming you can shoot straight, of course). These are 425 gr Beartooth Bullets out of my 1895 GBL, 50 yards

These are Hornady FTX 325 gr at 100 yards, also out of my 1895 GBL

Don't let anybody tell you that you can't shoot accurately with a lever gun in 45-70. I can't get the precision that I get out of my 308 or my 6.5, but 1.5 MOA with a really heavy bullet is quite good enough.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The other thing I meant to mention with the peep sights that I'm not sure is available from Marlin with respect to the screws that hold the rear sight together.

On NECG, XS, and Skinner, they all publish travel distance for a single, full turn of their sight alignment screws. With a known sight radius, and known travel distance of the adjustment screws, you can dial your peep sights right in to where you want them. Sight radius and screw travel align exactly with what you understand about MOA precision, just at distances measured in small fractions of an inch.

With one of these peep sights mounted on the rear scope mount of your rifle, sight radius is something like 23" (can't remember now, it's been a couple months since I measured, and my shooting books are at my buddy's house).

So if you're low by 3", for example, at 100 yards, it's pretty easy to calculate how much you need to raise your rear sight to get that 3"

There are 3600" in 100 yards, so your math would look like this
3"/3600" = x"/23" (your sight radius)
69 = 3600X
x = 0.0191" of upward elevation adjustment to get your point of impact aligned with your point of aim.

This formula works whether your adjusting for windage or elevation, but you have to know sight radius (carpenter's tape measure will get you close enough) and you have to know the screw's travel distance of one complete, 360º turn of the adjustment screw(s)

Having a peep sight with known screw turn distances takes ALL of the guesswork out of sighting in your rifle.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I wanted to use the HSM 405 grain load in my new Marlin too but it shot a foot low. Too low to get sighted in so I got the Remington green box 405 grain and that I was able to sight in so I hunted with that. After hunting season I installed a lower front sight and that fixed things.

Reactions: oh-behi

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Just guessing but I would say 1"-1.5" or so high at 25 with open sights to be on at 100yds but that's just a guess.
@Satchmo, this one's pretty close.

I made a couple of assumptions on that ammo, but sighting in for 2" high at 25 yards will put your bullet in a deer's vitals out to about 135 yards without having to adjust for holdover. This is called "Maximum Point Blank Range" or MPBR. It's a REALLY useful thing to know for rifles with iron sights. Heck, it's a good thing to know with scopes, too.

ShootersCalculator.com | Point Blank Range Calculator

·
Banned
619 Posts
Hello all,

I am new to this thread thing. I recently purchased a 1895GBL, and I am having a rough time getting it to sight in at 100yrds. Took it to an outdoor range (which I don't do to often since its a little far away) to sight it in. Using the standard iron sights with the dove tail rear sight. Had a target out at the 100yd mark. The 1st shot was about a foot low, center of target. Readjusted, got it on paper. [Were you more than 6" low at this point?] Kept shooting/readjusting till the dove tail was maxed out, and at that point I was shooting about 6" below the bulls-eye. I was using HSM 405 grain, 1300fps factory load. I will probably continue to use this type of ammo till I get it sighted in, and have some fun with it before moving into more expensive ammo/hand-loads for hunting. My question is, there is an indoor range that allows 45-70. It has 75ft/25yd lanes. I know the bullet shoots like a rainbow. What would I be looking at if I wanted to sight it in at 25yds for it to "zero" at 100yds? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
My first suspicion is shooter fatigue. I would suggest that when you're fresh try a few more shots with the same sight setting and ammo where you left off at, but it sounds like you're range in not an easy distance for you. I do not find my 1895 easy to shoot well due to the recoil, but your loads are milder than mine. I wouldn't buy new stuff until you can get a repeatable result from your current sights/ammo. From your post this doesn't seem to be happening yet.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Satchmo, Welcome to the forum!!

I try to compete each and every month for the "silly comment of the month" so please don't be offended at this if it is silly question. Are you carrying your front blade even with the top of your rear sight? If you are carrying a lower point of reference, (middle or bottom) you will run out of elevation adjustment pretty quickly.

If you are carrying at the top please disregard and look to some of the sight fixes (lower front sight) and corrections pointed out here. Good luck in getting it right on!!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
The most common problem with the GBL shooting low is that the factory put the wrong front sight blade on. In this photo the correct one is on the right. It will measure .279" tall and the Pn. is F406331

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you everyone for the input. I appreciate all the feed back and constructive criticism. I think Oh-Behi pointed out the problem with his attached picture. The "taller" sight is on my gun, its about 11/32" (shy of 3/8ths of an inch) overall. Looks like 0.279" is about 1/4 of an inch. I'll get a hold of Marlin soon and hopefully they can help me out. Is the customer service any helpful, or should I just order one offline and skip the headache?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Welcome to THE Forum! Oh...what they said... You’ll get good advice and input here!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.