Marlin Firearms Forum banner

What name do you want for our new .32 Special Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will contact the mods about the team name in a week or so. If anyone has a good team motto, lets hear it!

The unofficial official sign up list is here, please go there if you want on it. There will be a postal match with some prizes for the winner this next fall. The only thing you will need to do to participate will be to have your name on the list and shoot (any) 32 Special (Marlins will be given 10 additional points ;D) AND send your target to an unbiased measurer at the end. But before we count our chickens, lets figure out a name. We will give our tentative name to the mods who will give the final say so.

Any pointers or advice would be appreciated. If there is something I have missed or is lacking please post that, thanks!

The main point about this team as per Plumbers request is to get the word out about 32 Specials. If any 336 Marlin round ever needed publicity this is probably the one that needs us the most. Lets get this going for the .32 Special!!

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,90515.30.html

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
[size=10pt]TEAM .32 Special
Keeping the old girls alive
[/size]​

Over 100 years, and still alive​

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.32 Special a Woods Tradition Since 1901

Reactions: cobirdhunter

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, 19 voted but only 14 are on the team roster so far, what gives? ::)

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
RIF said:
.32 Special a Woods Tradition Since 1901
My Speer reloading manual number ten has it at 1895.
Terry

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
lever30 said:
Can I still be a member if I have the brand-X model .32
Winchester is not a brand-X. It's almost as good as Marlin. ;D

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Alright, Im signing up then!
I have more Marls than brand -Xs that should apease some of the die hard's.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
My Speer reloading manual number ten has it at 1895.
Terry
Terry,
Winchester's Jan 1902 catalog was the first one to show the .32 W.S. I have seen the 1895 date referenced before but that is incorrect. In checking Robert C. Renneberg's book, The Winchester '94 The First 100 Years, he indicates that the 1st .32 W.S. was made on March 4, 1902, serial #27,158.

I checked Brophy's book, Marlin Firearms, but I couldn't find an introductory date. I'm thinking later that same year (1902) as they did the .30 W.C.F. calling it, at first the .30 Marlin, then the .30-30 (September, 1895).

w30wcf

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
When the hats come out, make mine

Swany
Marlin Owners
Team .32 Special

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
30wcf said:
Terry,
Winchester's Jan 1902 catalog was the first one to show the .32 W.S. I have seen the 1895 date referenced before but that is incorrect. In checking Robert C. Renneberg's book, The Winchester '94 The First 100 Years, he indicates that the 1st .32 W.S. was made on March 4, 1902, serial #27,158.

I checked Brophy's book, Marlin Firearms, but I couldn't find an introductory date. I'm thinking later that same year (1902) as they did the .30 W.C.F. calling it, at first the .30 Marlin, then the .30-30 (September, 1895).

w30wcf
Thanks 30wcf, That's some good information. I wonder how the reloading books got it wrong?
Guess it's like that old myth about the 32 special being developed for black powder reloading.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Terry,
Actually......here's what the Jan 1902 Winchester catalog had to say.......

“The .32 Winchester Special Cartridge, which we have just perfected, is offered to meet the demand of many sportsmen, for a smokeless powder cartridge of larger caliber than the .30 Winchester (.30-30) and not yet so powerful as the .30 U.S. Army (.30-40), which could be reloaded with black powder and give satisfactory results.

The .32 Winchester Special Cartridge meets all of these requirements. Loaded with Smokeless powder and a 165 gr. bullet, it has a muzzle velocity of 2,057 foot seconds. With a charge of 40 grs. of black powder, the .32 Winchester Special develops a velocity of 1,385 foot seconds, which makes it a powerful black powder cartridge .”

Interestingly, I wonder if Winchester ever tested b.p. in the .32 W.S. since the ballistics quoted were exactly the same as the .32-40 ........... and.... the case will hold more than 40 grs. of b.p........

w30wcf

Reactions: joel lee

·
Registered
649 Posts
I voted for 32 Special, but I was surprised yesterday to see how unknown this cartridge is by that name.

I went to a nearby sporting goods store, not a big box, and asked for 32 special ammo. the guy walked down to the handgun ammo, and said, no, looks like we don't have any. He asked the other guy, "is 32 special the same as 32 Auto?" the other guy said, "No, it's a little longer. I guess we need to order some".

I didn't even bother to try to tell them what I was looking for, and ended up getting some at a big box store later in the day. I looked in the reloading manual, and I don't see any 32 caliber handgun ammo, longer than a 32 ACP, and called "32 special". I think that guy was just making it up on the spot.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you can buy 32 Special ammo locally, you're sittin prettier than I am! I am in the land of Weatherby and Winchester magnums and have never seen a 32 Special on the shelf nor in the woods in all my time.

Reactions: joel lee

·
Registered
649 Posts
The semi-big box store that I stopped at in Portland actually had about 20 boxes of 170 grain Federal and a few boxes of Hornady LE, too. I was kind of surprised, since that same store had not had 35 Whelen or 6.5 Swede the last time I had stopped in. I need to build up a supply of cases so I can reload for this one.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
RIF - Ain't it the truth man, ain't it the truth. A large percentage of the hunters today have no idea the number of older calibers there are available that have been quietly working effectively for a century or more. Shenandoah

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shenandoah said:
RIF - Ain't it the truth man, ain't it the truth. A large percentage of the hunters today have no idea the number of older calibers there are available that have been quietly working effectively for a century or more. Shenandoah
If you own a 32 Special, please join our team!! You are singing our song for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Sorry RIF, I have two of the other 32's, a 32-20 and a 32-40. While I think they are "special" to me I don't think they qualify. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts
. My earliest 32 WS was shipped from the warehouse in April of 1902. I'm too lazy to dig out the factory letter so I don't remember the exact date. It's a Winchester rifle with 26 inch barrel.

32 WS is not hyphenated so I call it my 32-30...

JB

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.