Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all know that one firearm leads to another. A couple of years ago My Wife's cousin gave us a NIB S&W 30-1 32 long revolver. It was fun to shoot but ammo was scarce and expensive. Fast forward to about 6 months ago when I finally bought the stuff to reload for it and realized since I cast my own, it was really cheap to shoot. Now Cheap&Fun is my middle name.
So as it happens, I start wishing for a little more power, a little more barrel, Always more!
Well yesterday I found it.
S&W 16-4 32 mag target LNIB, it could pass for NIB but The owner has fired it. He also thought I might as well have the 32 stuff he had accumulated. I am happier than a pig in slop.
Photo1159.jpg Photo1160.jpg Photo1161.jpg Photo1163.jpg Photo1164.jpg

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Thatis a beautiful gun. Have fun!

Reactions: galaxieman

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
congrats, that is one sharp lookin' revolver

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I can find it was only made for 2 years 89 and 90. I originally intended to send the cylinder to Bowen and have it reamed deeper for 327 Federal Mag. But since it is fairly rare I think I will look for an additional cyl to have modified and keep the original stock. I can also just load the 32 mag brass hotter and get near the same performance, but then there would be some 32 mag rounds hanging around that would not be safe for a lesser pistol.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Wow two great S&W's and in fun calibers. The 2010 Gun Digest has an article about shooting and loading 32 H& R and 32 Longs. What is the bullet that you are casting. I load 32 long for a 1909 Colt and a newer 2" S&W. For a light plinking short range load, try a 00 buck pellet and a very light charge of bullseye. Thanks for sharing.

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
Congrats on the awesome looking piece!It favors my little honey!Except she's a 357. image.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow two great S&W's and in fun calibers. The 2010 Gun Digest has an article about shooting and loading 32 H& R and 32 Longs. What is the bullet that you are casting. I load 32 long for a 1909 Colt and a newer 2" S&W. For a light plinking short range load, try a 00 buck pellet and a very light charge of bullseye. Thanks for sharing.
Travlin, I case the lee 90 grain SWC and also just got a Lyman 115 grain flat nose mold and when I bought this I received the Lee 100 grain round nose mold with it. I may try the round ball plinker someday. but since I can cast the SWC so cheap I may never need it.
In one of the pictures you can see about 500 rounds of loaded ammo and 500 additional 32 caliber empty brass all in assorted 32 short, long and mag. Getting ready to head for the range with the 32's and have some fun.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
G-man, nice shooters you got there! Enjoy for all of us, take care, John.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yep I know what you mean galaxyman. I picked up a nice 10-6 the other week. Now Im looking into molds and dies. Whats cool about the 38 is the dies and molds can do both 357 and the 38, which Im know you know. But being new to reloading myself. Its a cool new world. Oh by the way some nice pistols you got there . Happy shooting.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Dang thats nice! I'd ask ya to let us know how it shoots...but I think I already know.:congrats:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got back from the range and shot about 400 rounds through this and the old 32-1 and both are more fun than should be legal.I need to work up some stout 32 mag loads for it to get its full potential.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I just got back from the range and shot about 400 rounds through this and the old 32-1 and both are more fun than should be legal.I need to work up some stout 32 mag loads for it to get its full potential.
now that's a great way to blow away an afternoon!! Pun intended...

Nice pistola!!

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Beautiful Smith, Galaxieman. The 16-4 was made from 1989 until the end of 1992 in the 6" barrel length. Both 4" and an 8-3/8" were available but both were discontinued one year earlier. Total production for all barrel lengths was approximately 8800 units...so, yes...this is a rather rare and desirable S&W. Very nice find. Keep it original and enjoy.

Roe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts