Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for new SUV tires for a 2006 Ford Explorer, 245/65R17. There's not a lot of local choices, and I refuse to buy any of Les Schwabs' "house brands". That leaves some Toyo's, or Hankooks. The Toyo's are the Open Country A/T II and the Hankook's are thye Dynapro HT (RH12). The Hankook's are rated at 70,000 mile tread life. Both tires are more-highway, less-off-road type. That's 99.9% of their use is just driving back to work.

I really, really wanted Yokohama GeoLandar A/T's but no one here seems to be able to get those.

Thoughts and opinions? Consumer Reports reviews were useless. On the Hankook's, which are FORD OEM-install, the reviews were either total junk or the best ever made. Makes it hard to make a decision.

·
Premium Member
6,591 Posts
Hankook is the largest tire maker.
I cant remember all the brands that are intertwined.
Michelin makes some of the best tires for SUV's.
They make one now they took three tire lines and combined them into a great all around tire.
TireRack,com is the largest seller of tires they have all brands.
They also own five national installers/sales.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I put a set of Hankook tires on my Mercury Mountaineer and they're great tires, affordable too. Quiet, excellent traction during heavy rainfall, and long life.

TR

·
Super Moderator
40,849 Posts
I had a set of Toyo's on the Honda Odyssey and I always had a shimmy in steering wheel, original installer balanced tires three times and still had same problem. I just had a set of IronMan tires put on and the tires didn't need any weights to balance! No more shimmy in steering and van rides smooth!

Nope! I'm not pushing IronMan tires on anybody. Just adding my two cents on the Toyo's I had on van.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
I'm going to go against the flow here and say that although the last set of Michelin SUV tires I got gave me a fair amount of miles, they were no more puncture resistance than Walmart Viva's. The Walmart tires are road tires, not great for SUV's, but were half the price. My brother did hill climes with a couple of different Porche's back in the sixties and I can say first hand that Michelin back in those days were the greatest tires. They had 2 steel belts and in some cases, outlived the car they were originally put on!

I don't know how Michelin cut costs on their tires but I will never buy another set. I will look into a set of Hankook tires when I need to replace mine. I will also look at Cooper tires, which I understand are still made in America.

Happy off-road motoring.

Mike T.

The only problem with Tire Rack is that you have to pay shipping. I found it less expensive to buy tires from a regional dealer that buys in bulk. Regional dealers factor their shipping in with the tire purchase and end up costing less.

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
A few weeks ago I put Hankook Dynapro ATMs on my daughter's Jeep Liberty. They are surprisingly quiet for an A/T tire and are very responsive in wet or dry conditions. I am exceptionally happy with them.
Andrew

Reactions: Tar_Heel 336

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I do my best to only buy American made products. So that leaves me with Cooper. Only tire left that is made in the good old US of A!

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I really like the Nitto Terra Grapplers. They are like sneakers on the highway and are very good in the mud. I have been through 2 sets on each f-150 2005 and 2010. My next tire set will be the same.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, but too many deal with tires not available to me. Yea, I could have them shipped, or buy thru Amazon, but the shipping to this place eats ya alive unless you own your own 20' container and pack it full. I do think I may switch to the Hankook iPike RW11 simply because if the Dynapro HT RH12's are even half as bad on snow and ice as 50% of the bad reviewers suggest, then I won't be able to use them. We do get a "bit" of snow and ice here. I guess I'd be willing to trade road noise and wear for safety. Even at 50k miles tread wear, they may outlive the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went with the Hankook iPike RW11's, put in the order for them this AM. Much better ice and snow performance, and I'll deal with the slightly more road noise by playing the 'tunes just a bit louder.

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
825 Posts
Here is something to consider when buying tires "Load Range".

Load Range Max Load
LT245/75R16120\116REOWL6.5 - 879.730.357.5244304216.5
LT245/75R16108\104RCOWL6.5 - 7.579.630.517.441220516.5

Here are the specs on two tires. They are the same brand, size and style. The difference is their weight carrying capacity. For 46 years I have always replaced the OEM tires on my trucks with 1-2 load ranges heavier than the factory suppled tire because they run cooler, last longer and perform better in every way.
"Try it, You'll like it"

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Scorpion8;7561764 I really said:
Both set of GeoLanders that I have had did not last worth a darn. They seem to come with half the tread as other tires. My Rav4 came with a set from the factory and they lasted all of 18k miles with my wife driving it. Same with another vehicle that bought with an almost new set. It is a good thing that they are not available in your area IMO.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I've had very good luck with Michelin's on my smaller SUV's(uniframe), Honda CRV, Hyundai Tuscon. On my larger SUV(2 Xterra's)(body on frame) I had great luck with the Continental CrossContact LX20, which by the way got best ratings on CR. The xterra's were primarily paved road, buy I took them when I knew I might have some off road conditions, i.e. dirt roads, logging roads, i.e. clear but not paved. I never let any of my tires go past 50K...my choice, not that I had to.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Both set of GeoLanders that I have had did not last worth a darn.
We ran GeoLandar AT-S's (iirc) on our Ford Expedition on the North Slope of Alaska's oil and gas fields and they were bullet-proof. Literally, since there are no paved roads and it's miles and miles of crushed rock (sharp edges) gravel roads across the fields. I'd swear by those.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
There are many tire distributors on the internet and there's always Amaz. No reason you shouldn't be able to get anything you want, as long as they will ship to your location. Does UPS or any of the other shippers deliver there?

All you need to do is to get them mounted locally.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
In the market for new SUV tires for a 2006 Ford Explorer, 245/65R17. There's not a lot of local choices, and I refuse to buy any of Les Schwabs' "house brands". That leaves some Toyo's, or Hankooks. The Toyo's are the Open Country A/T II and the Hankook's are thye Dynapro HT (RH12). The Hankook's are rated at 70,000 mile tread life. Both tires are more-highway, less-off-road type. That's 99.9% of their use is just driving back to work.

I really, really wanted Yokohama GeoLandar A/T's but no one here seems to be able to get those.

Thoughts and opinions? Consumer Reports reviews were useless. On the Hankook's, which are FORD OEM-install, the reviews were either total junk or the best ever made. Makes it hard to make a decision.
I have always bought Michelin for all my vehicles, SUV, P/U and Sedans. Does Amazon deliver in AK? If so a Prime membership will get free quick delivery.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.