Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New stock on the way for my XL7 from Richards Microfit. Wanted something a little different and I think this fits the bill! Will let you guys know how the fit and finish is on this stock when it gets here unfortunately expected delivery is 8-10 weeks, Ouch! This is going to be torture waiting on this thing. I hope it's worth it...

Frontier sportster style in grade A claro walnut.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, thats beautiful! I would be afraid to take that out of the safe! Good Luck, I hope you get a beautiful piece. Plastic stocks fill some needs I'm sure but, there's nothing like a nice blued rifle sitting on a finely crafted piece of walnut...nothing!

Ed

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts exactly! This will be for the range and if I were to go on a hunt where I know it won't be in harms way. However when it comes time for trekking through the woods in less than perfect conditions back into the synthetic stock she goes!

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
I've been drooling over those for ages but have been afraid of screwing it up finishing it myself. :-* Pics necessary whenever you get it. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a little nervous about the 96% finished thing myself. I am a machinist and have access to a machine shop but have never attempted fitting an action to a stock before and am really hoping all that's left to do is a little test n tune with minimal material removal to get a nice fit. Guess I'll have to wait and see. Really hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew but it will definitely be worth it if I can pull it off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think the one who typed 96% on the website suffers from dyslexia. Mine was more like
69% inletted. :mad: Was able to make it work only after a lot of filing, Dremel tooling,
sanding, etc. Although they don't have a stock quite like that, Boyd's has it together
200% better on the inletting end of things.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a boyd's on my model 60. They did an excellent job it was a perfect fit. I read more than a few negative things about the Richards stock but wanted to give them a chance. If it's too messed up I'll send it back. I just really wanted something different and this was really my only option. As long as it is a nice piece of wood and isn't too sloppy where the inletting has been done I should be ok with it. I'm pretty handy in the shop so I will just treat it like a job and make sure it's done right the first time (well I guess it would be the second time). Thanks for the info DannoBoone now I know what I'm up against...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ordered a Boyds prairie hunter in nutmeg lam last friday. Should have a pic by end of the week. Decided to get the Boyd's in the meantime because A. I'm impatient, B. Now I have a wood stock as a template for inletting the Richards Microfit, and C. A good excuse to add perhaps a 25-06 to the family! No sense in having a perfectly good empty stock laying around. Am I right?! Lol

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Who taught you logic? Your mom or dad? Methinks it was your dad. ;D Yeah, you really need a .25-06 now... ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Papa knows best, well when it comes to guns anyway! Plus that 25-06 sounds mighty tempting! Wish I could find just a barrel and action. Hint hint! ;D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Booyah! Wow, this feels like a completely different animal now. A little heavier but that weight feels so good! This gun really has the feel of a much more expensive rifle now. Can't wait to get to the range! Another great job by Boyds!

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you're good at sanding and finishing wood stocks, That new one from Richard's will be a beauty. There will be some work involved to make it so. I have one of there Wildcat Sporters in Walnut on a Marlin 925 that I really like. Just rmember when you first look at it (after it finally gets to you)that the is a beauty under all that extra wood.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've done a lot of sanding and finishing just not on stocks. Did a unfinished Boyds for my 60 though and it came out sweet, however it was pretty much just a final sand and then stain and finish. I'm prepared for the Richards to require much more work than that to get a finised product. Just feel like as long as I take my time and they haven't mangled it too bad I should be Ok with whatever woodworking and finishing is left to do. Patience is a virtue that I can posses as long as I remind myself of what happens if I don't! Lol. Anyway I'm really looking forward to that project and I am excited for it's arrival. Can't wait to see how good the piece of wood I get looks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just received my Richard's stock today so I figured I'd add to this...First, I wouldn't get to excited about their estimated completion time because I ordered mine the first week of April and it is now, July 19th.... That being said, the Grade AA Claro Walnut is very nice. The inletted action accepted the rifle without a problem except the barrel area which needs a decent amount of filing/sanding before it will seat properly. (I prefer this to the opposite.) I am impressed with this stock but you will have to put in the time to get an excellent product. I did about 2 hours of sanding today and have almost finished my initial 100 grit work. The work is not difficult but it is time consuming because the tool marks are relatively deep. My goal is to finish the sanding portion this week and start the 22 lpi checkering by next week. I'd post pictures but I don't want to steal any more focus off your thread (and this stock is for an accu-trigger anyways, shhh) Hope your stock arrives quicker than mine did and fits with equal ease.

LFTP

·
Registered
30 Posts
I must admit I purchased a factory second before spending the big money to get a tier 1 stock from them. (I had read enough negative press that I was a little nervous; however, after starting this project I may "need" an exhibition grade maple in the future) There is a moderate sized knot on the back of the stock but I did not include it in the picture. (You can see it below the cheek piece on the front in a much smaller form) There are still some other small blems you can see but personally I think they add a little character. This stock is going to be used on a Savage 11F in 7mm-08 (with open sights) with a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x scope.

Remembering this is the Marlin form I should add: I love my XL7 (25-06) and the Boyds nutmeg stock. Wish I hadn't bought a thumbhole for a long action rifle though... This is my first Savage and for the $365 price (discontinued model) I didn't think it was an unreasonable addition. I can't find anything about the accu-trigger that would make me spend the $500+ they typically ask when I can get a stainless X gun for $380 OTD.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice piece! Can't wait to get mine to get started on. I read many negative reviews also but they were mostly from a few years ago nothing recent really. Figured if I wanted something unique it was worth taking a chance. Plus I'm not in a hurry now that I got my nutmeg prairie hunter stock on from boyds on it. Should help me be a little more patient with them. Pics will be up as soon as it's on my door step!

·
Registered
30 Posts
In regards to the negative press: I have no doubt Richards has released some less than drop-in grade stocks, I personally think the bigger issue is people aren't prepared to put in the energy to finish the stock. I think 5+ hours of hand sanding, 2-4 hours of checker, and 6-8 coats of hand rubbed oil makes me appreciate the product that much more but I realize that is what I signed up to do. On the other hand, Boyds makes an excellent drop-in stock that anyone can install and enjoy but these products are not comparable in my opinion. After I finish this build, a XS7 in .308 with a shortened SS barrel with a Boyds Praire Hunter will make a great all-weather mountain rifle. I just think each company is catering to different types of customers and I have use for both stocks on different guns.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had an idea what I was in for and am definitely looking forward to it. I enjoy working with my hands and you really do get a great deal of satisfaction working and doing things yourself. If I had the tools at my house I would try my hand at building a stock myself. Maybe one day!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts