Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have standardized our front sights and they are now available in the following configurations.

(All sights are sized for a standard 3/8" dovetails and have blades .070" wide)

(Base Width) (Height)

1/2" .650" (for barrels that are dovetailed)

3/8" .400" - .450" - .500" (For 3/8" wide Ramps)

1/4" .400" - .450" - .500" (For 1/4" wide Ramps)

LOTS of information available at www.skinnersights.com on our TECHNICAL PAGE, FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS page and FRONT SIGHT page.

Please read the information carefully as it should answer almost any front sight question you may have.

Thanks!

ANDY

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Andy

Just put front sights on a cpl rifles tonight. First was a '66 Glenfield Mdl 30 with frt sight dove-tailed into the round (pencil) bbl. Ended up using the 3/8" wide sight. Second was a Henry H001TM 22 Mag with octagon bbl. Put the 1/2" wide frt sight on that one.

Thoughts/feedback. The 3/8" was a tad to narrow and the 1/2" was a tad to wide on the Glenfield Mdl 30 rnd dove-tailed bbl - went with the 3/8" as 1/2" looked out of place/too wide. One the Henry octagon, 1/2" was also tad too wide and 3/8" didn't fill the slot or look right - went with the 1/2" wide on the octagon bbl.

Have you thought about adding a 7/16" wide front blade width option? I know the inventory hassles, etc. But if you do, I will immediately take a pair to fit both of the above rifles! Other than that, love your sights! Now have four sets on 2 Marlins, 1 each Glenfield and Henry, and will probably eventually take the scope off another Marlin and put Skinner peep on it.

·
Vendor
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Oscar,

You are correct. Adding a 4th option (currently 1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2) would be an issue.

There are rifles where the current sizes are slightly wider or narrower than the dovetails. It is a cosmetic issue for some. For those wanting exact width applications we recommend getting the next wider sight and trimming the sides down as needed.

Thanks for the feedback and your business!

Andy

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Hi Andy

Since we're on the subject, there are times when I could use a thinner blade than the .070 for fine target work, especially on smaller rifles. Probably wouldn't be a big seller, but something I could use.

Also, I'm a CZ nut. Would love to see a Skinner peep for the 527 and 550 center fires. These guns are becoming very popular.

Thanks
Joanie

·
Vendor
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Joanie,

CZ sights are on my list. (We make the rim fire version) The Centerfire CZ mounting dovetails are so large anything I come up with is huge. We like slim and trim.... Still working on them.

Thinner front sights are doable, just a bit more fragile to produce. I have a couple customers who have been waiting quite a while for me to make them some. Send me an email and we will work towards it.

Thanks Joanie!

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Hello Oscar,

You are correct. Adding a 4th option (currently 1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2) would be an issue.

There are rifles where the current sizes are slightly wider or narrower than the dovetails. It is a cosmetic issue for some. For those wanting exact width applications we recommend getting the next wider sight and trimming the sides down as needed.

Thanks for the feedback and your business!

Andy
Dang! More gunsmithing for me... Still love the sights!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts