Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Stainless Marlin "encounter"!

In a shop yesterday, I looked at a short stainless Marlin .45-70 configuration I had not seen. I don't recall the letters suffix now; it was something like SRT or something, but it was pretty interesting. I don't recall even seeing it at the NRA Convention, but I might have missed it.

It was so short; the barrel looked about 14", but is at least 16", of course. Laminated Stock with full-length mag tube. Very nice sight and no big sight rail or anything. The only negative is that it's not a straight stock - has the pistol grip. Very cool, though. I especially like the full-length mag tube and barely legal barrel. MIght have to have one of those.

By the way, I don't see this particular model at Marlin's website. I might just be overlooking it.

Hickok45

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Re: New Stainless Marlin "encounter"!

Sounds like an stp. A special run for davidsons I think, If I'm wrong someone will be around to correct me. Looks to be a fun little gun. I expect you to pick it up and have some video of it shortly ;D

·
Registered
549 Posts

Like this one?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes, you sorry varmint!!! You jumped in there and bought it, right! :)

How do you like yours? That barrel must be about one hair over 16". I love it. Holds six in the tube, correct?

Thanks,

Hickok45

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts

jnicol6600 said:
Sounds like an stp. A special run for davidsons I think, If I'm wrong someone will be around to correct me. Looks to be a fun little gun. I expect you to pick it up and have some video of it shortly ;D
Yes, it is a Davidson gun.......

Tom

·
Registered
549 Posts

Hickok45 said:
Yes, you sorry varmint!!! You jumped in there and bought it, right! :)

How do you like yours? That barrel must be about one hair over 16". I love it. Holds six in the tube, correct?

Thanks,

Hickok45
Naw, I'm at my limit of three STP's already. Love 'em, but then again I have a real weakness for 16" barreled Trappers. After seeing what a couple other members did to their STP's, I couldn't resist and made myself a Micro SBL too. I'm just about ready to send in an 18" STBL as a host for a custom 16" full octagon barrel conversion. I'm still trying to locate a midnight laminate pistol grip set of furniture to begin with. I may go with a vintage style set for that one though. The 16" full length mag tubes hold 5+1.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Hickock45: Go ahead, I'll bet the marketing guys would love to give you one to "test fire" and they might have a couple laying around. I think it would be cool to see those big boolits dropping in on THE GONG.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well, somehow I missed these when they came out. I had not seen one, and I did not realize they are also around without the pistol grip stock. I prefer the straight stock, so I need to decide whether it makes that much difference to me.

Hickok45

·
Registered
62 Posts

Hickok45, Would be a swell reason to run a "Heavy Lead Part II" on Youtube.
Any interest in the long barrel XLR? Its something to see a lever action rifle reach out 300 yards...

·
Registered
300 Posts

Hickok45 said:
Well, somehow I missed these when they came out. I had not seen one, and I did not realize they are also around without the pistol grip stock. I prefer the straight stock, so I need to decide whether it makes that much difference to me.

Hickok45
By the time you make up your mind it will probably be sold and the chances of seeing one again outside of forums like this are quite slim. There's only 500 of them out there and most people who own them are holding on to them as tight as I do.

·
Registered
21 Posts

He who hesitates is lost...

It likely is gone. Mine was on order for months. It took me forever to acquire one. Good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yes, I've probably hesitated too long; it's just that I don't think I've ever even fired, much less owned, a lever gun with the pistol grip. Always preferred the straight stock. I might actually like it - never know. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Hey Hickok45 what are you sooting for you standard 45/70 load. I think I saw one of your videos you had silver cast bullets but what kind of powder and how many grains are pushing them. I'm just starting to reload and just looking for some suggestions.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts

Hickok45 said:
Yes, I've probably hesitated too long; it's just that I don't think I've ever even fired, much less owned, a lever gun with the pistol grip. Always preferred the straight stock. I might actually like it - never know. :)
You just might :D

I always liked the pistol grip on larger calibers...the straight grip is great on the pistol calibers though (fits in the saddle scabbard better too)

·
Premium Member
454 Posts

I just saw that the marlin bug has bit ole hickock again. Check out his vlog 24 ;D.
BTW Thanks for makin those videos keep em comin'

·
Registered
171 Posts

Nice lookin STP, makes me want to drag mine out and put some rounds thru it.
Who am I kidding, I always want to drag it out and put some rounds thru it.
Looking forward to a feature video on it.

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts