Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wife of almost 4 decades is a champ. For our retirement and Christmas last year she knew I was interested in knife making. She ordered me some Damascus blanks and some fancy wood. I really enjoy making blades from OLD steel, like mowing scythe blades. But in deference to her I decided to use these blanks for practicing handles. I must interject that after 4 decades I do not understand most of her hobbies either. But we have worked together, day in and day out for many years and what little free time we have is our own, precious little. But now with retirement we are in three separate shops, only walls between us, doing our things. Her sewing, my reloading and wood/metal shop. Total area about 1200 sq. ft. above the garage. She donated out over $8000, yes 8 thousand dollars for the Shriners Hospital last year in cash for the quilts she sold with thanks to her friends on her quilt forum. Maybe this year I can contribute a few hundred bucks for the cause. We are not Shriners, but have donated our time and talents for their auction for over twenty years.
Here is a pic of a handle, red cedar, zebra wood and purple heart. A bit of a challenge to a neophyte, but I will get better. If there is any interest I will put it up in the for sale section with ALL proceeds going to the Greenville, SC hospital for crippled children, or the Cincinnati burn hospital. If interested just post "Yes".
The knife is not perfect, neither are the kids that this project will go to, but every nickel helps.

New Knife.jpg

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Just a note about Shriners Hospital, they help a lot of children born with problems lead a normal life, and never even know of the problem. My son was born with a club foot, and I was as well, the Shriners are the best doctors no matter if you have money or not.. as a matter of fact the doctor that treated my son took my insurance, and when I tried to pay cash for the ~30% I was responsible for he walked off leaving me standing alone... he didn't care about money, and treated every child with the same hands no matter if they had money, insurance etc. Shriners have helped a lot of kids

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Jesus told his disciples, "Whatever you do for the least of these thy brethren, you do it as unto me." There are Godly blessings for those that are generous to orphans, widows, and those that are in great need. I pray that our Lord will bless you two in many ways.

TR

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the encouragement. The auction has been started in the "Auction Barn".

Reactions: rclint

·
Registered
20,160 Posts
looks like we need to have a little trade
Me thinks that's what's he has planned...someone's cash, for his knife!:biggrin: Beautiful knife 256 and a great cause! :top:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts