Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this super comanche back in December while looking around Buds one morning.
I believe it was around $170 or $180.
It was just something for a fun project and small game hunting.
I first removed the gray satin finish, down to bare metal.
Then removed the plastic/rubber forearm and grips, used them as patterns for a wood replacement.
i used osage for the forearm, and birch for the grips.
made this flap holster from 8 oz veg, tan leather, stained with dark brown stain, then carved the turkey on the flap.
had some leather left over to make a cartridge carrier, it holds five rds of 410 or 45 LC.
also picked up a 410/22LR adapter from shortlane.
Shotgun Adapter, 410 to 22 LR
now i can fire 410,45LC,22 short,22 long and 22 LR.
it has a rifled barrel and comes with two chokes, one for 45 and one for 410.
the 410 choke has straight rifling to stop the spin of the shot leaving the barrel.
it shoots real tight groups, so you dont start getting much of a spread until you hit 25 or 30 yds.
3" shells are a hoot to shoot.
not shot 45 out of it, dont really plan to, but the option is there.
It is basically just a cheap, single shot,break action, woods running,camping,survival, heavy duty pistol.
something you can throw down the hillside,drop in the mud, wear in the rain and snow,etc, and not have to worry about it.
I plan on using it for rabbits, squirrels, maybe turkey, if im up close.
comanche010_zps1e3fd3a1.jpg
comanche011_zps62998b2a.jpg
comanche012_zpse544bf51.jpg
comanche013_zpsb310c3ef.jpg
comanche014_zps94b46132.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I like the woodwork and leather for it. Have you shot it with the 22 adapter? Just curious if it groups well at hunting range.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Nice to see another Super Comanche owner. I use mine on my tractor for rats and such. I leave the 45 LC choke in and it throws a great tractor seat to ground critter pattern. I really like the grips and metal work you did on yours. Great work on the holster also.

How well does the 22 adapter work? I may need one for mine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the woodwork and leather for it. Have you shot it with the 22 adapter? Just curious if it groups well at hunting range.
Thank you Lonnie.
Ive not shot the 22 adapter yet.
it is smoothbore so im not expecting much, maybe 10 or 15 yds if im lucky.
i need to get it out and test it.
I will let you know.
one reviewer on short lane said it is reasonably on target, key holing at 15 yds.
i figured it would be good on small game out to 15 yds,
wish they made a rifled version, lot of guys are asking for a rifled version on the site in their reviews.
i bought a few of these adapters for my pardner, they have a rifled 22, 8" insert, i can take the head off a squirrel at 50 yds easy.
got the 410 also.
planned on matching the pistol up with my pardner.
HampR12006_zpsa1134310.jpg
HampR12009_zps3a69b7cb.jpg
HampR12056_zps92cad2c1.jpg
HampR12074_zpsdab1bd86.jpg
that way i can feed both firearms with the same ammo, 410 and 22 that is.
i can take this pair out and cover all hunting needs, everything from 12 gauge slugs to 22 shorts.
HampR12077_zpsa4771bcd.jpg

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice to see another Super Comanche owner. I use mine on my tractor for rats and such. I leave the 45 LC choke in and it throws a great tractor seat to ground critter pattern. I really like the grips and metal work you did on yours. Great work on the holster also.

How well does the 22 adapter work? I may need one for mine.
Thank you Bearcat for the kind words.
i put the pistol on the wire brush wheel, took it down to bare metal, some type of paint or something similar.
came off easy, then steel wooled the metal.
i will shoot the adapter soon, not tried it yet,
great woods gun, i can carry it with shot and my pardner with 12 gauge slugs, in case the bear decide to run me off my farm for trespassing on their territory.

·
Super Moderator
12,042 Posts
Thank you njcioffi.
I picked up some magtech brass shells,1000 large pistol primers and a 40 cal wad punch.
and a 410 hand reloader from Lanes Reloading
View attachment 106211
I dont like the price of 410 shells, so i will reload my own, maybe use some goex 2f or 3f.
Exactky what I would do. No idea why the dang 410 shells command a premium price...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Bubba.
I just ordered a 22 wmr 8" rifled adapter for the pardner,
if it works as good as the 22 lr adapter, i will be happy.
dont no why 410 so expensive, but i like the idea of being able to carry more ammo when compared to 12 gauge.
if living out of my pack, i can save the 12 gauge for defense, and use 410 for hunting, more efficient, will take small game same as 12 gauge, but with less powder and shot.
ive got some goex, but been trying to get a hold of some trail boss, few lbs would last me a long time.
I can throw those brass shells in my pack, with a case of primers, lb of trail boss,i can carry some shot, enough for a few reloads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts