Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at a few scopes.. found a bushnell trophy xlt 1-4x24 and a leupold 1-4x20..vx1.. vx2... the bushnell is almost 200$ less than the leupold.. should i get the bushnell???? the gun it will go on is a marlin 336 35 rem the WORM

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bushnell makes a good scope for the money, Leupold makes some of the best and it will give you a life time of service. I have bushnell scopes on my guns( 3-9x40 on my 22-250 and long eye relief one my shotgun) and I am very happy with them. My boss has leupolds on most of his and they are nicer. You can tell the craftsmanship behind them, but my guns kill critters just as dead. It's all personal preference. I would rather have the $200 for reloading supplies.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Bushnell Trophy. It will do the job for you. Have used Bushnells for years on a 30-30 and larger. The Leupold, though, has arguably the best customer service and warranty in the scope world and it is about as durable as a scope gets. You only have to buy once with a Leupold.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Which Leupold are you looking at? I bought a Leupold Rifleman 2 x 7 x 33 for $189. free shipping from Cabela's. I wouldn't buy a Bushnell scope with your money. My only buy scope for years was "Weaver Japanese made" I have two of Weaver 2 x 7 x 32 [about $149.] a real nice scope for a lever action rifle. Try Natchez they most of the times have a good deal going on and you might even pickup a Weaver 3 x 9 x 38 at $110.

Oh sorry I glanced at your post. Well if that's what you want yeah those are more $$ but again Weaver makes a 1 x 3 x20mm around $149. too. I pickup one for my Win. 94AE. 356W. because midwayusa was selling them around $120. I think it was to cheap to pass up. But its not a Leupold 1 x 4 x 20mm and will work just as good.
T:biggrin: NY
PS.
http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm...man 2-7x33mm Riflescope Wide Duplex Reticle 1

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I'm pretty much a believer in getting the best scope you can afford at a given time. I'm a big fan of Leupold scopes, owning some for several decades without a single issue of any kind... ever. Sometimes it's not in the cards money-wise though, and you can only do what you can within a budget, but if you do get one I'm sure you won't be disappointed, and will own it for life.
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Which Leupold are you looking at? I bought a Leupold Rifleman 2 x 7 x 33 for $189. free shipping from Cabela's. I wouldn't buy a Bushnell scope with your money. My only buy scope for years was "Weaver Japanese made" I have two of Weaver 2 x 7 x 32 [about $149.] a real nice scope for a lever action rifle. Try Natchez they most of the times have a good deal going on and you might even pickup a Weaver 3 x 9 x 38 at $110.

Oh sorry I glanced at your post. Well if that's what you want yeah those are more $$ but again Weaver makes a 1 x 3 x20mm around $149. too. I pickup one for my Win. 94AE. 356W. because midwayusa was selling them around $120. I think it was to cheap to pass up. But its not a Leupold 1 x 4 x 20mm and will work just as good.
T:biggrin: NY
PS.
http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=LU&prodID=LU56150&prodTitle=Leupold%20Rifleman%202-7x33mm%20Riflescope%20Wide%20Duplex%20Reticle%201
I also have the Rifleman 2x7 on my .35 rem but I thought they were discontinued. The Leupold owned Redfields have taken the place of the Rifleman line.

Are the close range shotgun scopes parallax corrected too close for a lever action? I couldn't tell from the spec sheets.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the weaver 1-3x20mm is it better than a bushnell ?? got a few busnell hand gun scopes my dad like weaver scopes like to get a leupold 1-4x20 dont have that much to spend..thanks WORM

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
I also have the Rifleman 2x7 on my .35 rem but I thought they were discontinued. The Leupold owned Redfields have taken the place of the Rifleman line.

Are the close range shotgun scopes parallax corrected too close for a lever action? I couldn't tell from the spec sheets.
No more Rifleman scopes? They're better scopes than the Redfield I own both Revolution and Rifleman and I'll take Rifleman over Revolution any day. I believe the Revolution is a lesser quality scope than the Rifle man is. Oh well I'll still go Leupold over the new Redfield scope Or IMHP the Weaver [Japanese made] is a better scope than a Revolution is.
Please guys this is just my opinion. Yes I have one of those too:bootyshake:
T:captain:NY

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Get what you can afford. The Bushnell is a serviceable scope but Leupold is superior by far. The Redfield is comparable to Leupold but a bit less. Most of the time you get what you pay for with optics. If you can swing it get the Leupold. I have several Leupold scopes and they work very well for me. I also have a couple of Bushnell scopes and a couple of Redfields. If I had to choose one over the others I'd pick the Leupold every time.

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
If the Bushnell is Japanese it's got good optics, if it's made in China, might be okay for a BB gun.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Leupold believes that the Redfield Revolution is a better scope than the Rifleman. Because the Revolution has been so successful for them, they have dropped the Rifleman. One advantage not mentioned is that, like all Leupold built optics, the scope is warranted forever.

Reactions: NodnarB

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I don't think you will go wrong with either scope they are both good ones!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
the weaver 1-3x20mm is it better than a bushnell ?? got a few busnell hand gun scopes my dad like weaver scopes like to get a leupold 1-4x20 dont have that much to spend..thanks WORM
I don't know if the Weaver 1 x 3 x 20 mm is better than the bushnell you are talking about but I had bought a bushnell 1 x 4 x 20 mm back in 1984 for my BLR 358W. I was at the range about a year later [1985] and I have work up a load the year before [1984]"can't remember powder or primer" but bullet was the Sierra 225 gr. GameKing and I was happy with it. I decided to go to the range for the up coming deer season to check thing out. At the range the first session went well about 3 to 4 shots. I change the target during cease fire when the firing line was hot I fired, on the second shot the scope went milky white. I mailed the scope back to bushnell with a note, when I received it back it came with a note stating I should buy a better scope for a 358w. and a bill for $25. Well I don't remember in the scope's boxed manual stating the scope's limitations it just stated Rifle scope.

Well I guess I don't have to tell you I wouldn't buy a bushnell scope with your money "do I" so I won't.:flute:
T:hmmmm: NY
PS. I bought a 1 x 3 x20 mm Weaver about a few months later [1986] I put on the BLR for awhile but now it wears a 1970 something Redfield 2 x 7 x 32 mm "high rings" and the 1-3-20 weaver was use on my 444s, 1100 12 ga., Win. 94AE. 356 Win. and still works like new, hence why I bought another when I spotted it was on a special buy sale.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My boss has leupolds on most of his and they are nicer. You can tell the craftsmanship behind them, but my guns kill critters just as dead. It's all personal preference. I would rather have the $200 for reloading supplies.
It is personal preference, indeed, but I would rather have the Leupold.

I have a 2-7X Vari-XIIc on my Ruger M-77 Ultralight in .250 Savage. I bought the scope and rifle when I was a 20 year old college student in 1985. In fact, I bought two of each, giving one rifle and scope to my dad for Christmas and keeping one set-up for myself. It's close to 30 years old and still looks and functions like new. It has been exposed to all manner of foul weather, vibration, cold and altitude in un-pressurized airline baggage compartments.... In spite of all of that, it's literally good as new. So is the other one of these that I've got on my Ruger Number One Tropical in .375 Holland and Holland.

Dittos for the 3-9X Vari-XII on my .30-'06 Ruger Number One.

Dittos for the newer VX-2 3-9X that I used on my Remington 721 that I no longer have, and a few other rifles that I no longer have.

The thing about Leupolds is I only had to buy them once. And they were worth scrimping and saving for. And they never were any cheaper new than when I bought them.

Another thing about Leupolds is that for most of us who dig 'em, there is no "coulda woulda shoulda" involved in their ownership. I know what my Leupolds have been through. It would take a lot of convincing to get me to believe that there's anything substantively better or more satisfying or more reliable out there. I'd say I'd keep buying them, but I haven't worn out the ones I have yet and I don't have any use for more of them. I expect that they will out-live me.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I own all manner of Leupolds and Bushnells. I started using Bushnells first, 41 years ago after getting out of the Navy when the wife and I didn't have a pot to pee into or a window to throw it out of. Extra money for us was almost impossible to come by, so Bushnell it was. As we became more affluent I started buying Leupolds also. With my bad eye sight I can't much tell the difference between em, they are both clear scopes to me. What is important to me is the quick eye focus on most of the Bushnells. Why you ask? Well I have diabetes and my eye sight changes (gets worse) when my sugar numbers are up and to instantly refocus my Bushnell scopes is a big plus for me. Heck my sugar numbers can change within the hour depending on my physical activity.

By the way, that first Bushnell 4X Banner I bought 41 years ago is still working great and is mounted on one of my 30-30 Marlins after being on several other rifles, i.e. 308's, 35's etc. I have a Bushnell 2x7x32 on my 700 Classic in .35 Whelen from 1988 and it's been shot a LOT and it is still going strong. Scopes are like cars and women, it's a personal preference based on what you like and can afford. I think today in 2014, it's hard to find a bad scope based on the advances in technology related to rifle scope manufacturing. I will add this however, my oh crap box is full of Redfield and Weaver scopes but there isn't one Bushnell or Leupold in it.

358 Win

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
I guess the bottom line is personal experience with different scopes. We seem to buy the products we have good experiences with. I on the other hand had and have good luck with Weaver, Nikon and Leupold. As stated in this thread today's scope are of better quality than years ago. Hey if you can see well and shoot straight with a $50. scope buy it. $50. scopes are a lot easier to replace if something should happy to it.
T:hmmmm: NY

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.