Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sprung for the 1894C at Big 5 for $320.

I've already removed the lever/bolt/extractor etc and cleaned and re-oiled them. The action appears a bit tight, but as I've read here, i assume it will smooth out with use. If I'm not happy after a few hundred rounds, I'll look into tuning it then.

On that note, are there any break in procedures I should follow for this rifle? It's my first new rifle and I don't want to mess it up. I've been reading on barrel break in and opinions seem to vary from "don't worry about it" to a religios cycle of shooting one shot then cleaning. What are the opinions of people here?

Also, I picked up a box of Remington 125 gr JSP to test the action. Do you guys have any opinions on whether to use jacketed or lead bullets for general plinking? I reload for my .40 Glocks and have typically used plated bullets. I don't mind the extra cost of plated or jacketed bullets.

I'm also getting the press ready for loading these rounds. It appears that many like Lil Gun powder for rifles in this caliber and that will probably be my first choice. Feel free to give me any tips.

Thanks.

John

G

·
Clinic,

Wish I could get one that cheap around here. The gun shops want about $400 for one this year. Could have got one for $350 last year. WalMart want $360 but you have to order it.

Just be sure you clean any gunk out of the barrel and I would recomend breaking in the barrel with jkt bullets. It took my '94 in 44 awhile to smooth out before it would shoot my fast hard cast loads without leading up some. And slow lead bullet loads won't smooth out the barrel much but it would smooth out the action though. My 2 cents

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Cinic said:
On that note, are there any break in procedures I should follow for this rifle? It's my first new rifle and I don't want to mess it up. I've been reading on barrel break in and opinions seem to vary from "don't worry about it" to a religios cycle of shooting one shot then cleaning. What are the opinions of people here?Thanks.

John
Cinic -
As to whether to break a bbl in or not - I'm gonna say don't bother...

In theory, breaking a bbl in smoothes out roughness caused by boring and rifling the bbl. See the link below for some good info on barrel break-in theories......

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn.asp

Shum8

·
Registered
101 Posts
I took somebody else's suggestion and bought myself some Silikroil and used that to lubricate the action of my 1894 SS. I'm really pleased with the stuff, plus it freed up a valve cap on my old euphonium that had been stuck for at least 10 years! :D

KanoLabs is also running a two for one sale on most of their products at the moment. At around $8.50 for two cans, it's a steal!
http://www.kanolabs.com/

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I'm from the clean it, load it, shoot it camp. No one has convinced me that elaborate break in proceedures do a bit of good.

Congrats on the new rifle. You're going to find it's one of your favorites.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you've already gotten any traces of factory/storage crud out of it, just go ahead and shoot it. I usually shoot a couple boxes of jacketed bullets through a rifle before I start shooting plain lead ones, and have done so for years.

Here's hoping you end up liking your 1894C as much as I enjoy the one I've got.

·
Registered
200 Posts
New, an 1894C is $410.00 here in North Texas where I shop, but I had recently sold a set of Case Knives for $425.00 so I felt okay with trading my knives for a rifle. Bought a box of 158 grain JSPs to try out in it. Have not shot it yet, but I will have by Wednesday this week.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Lately, I've only seen the Wrenchchesters on sale......I hope the Marlins are there cheap when I'm ready.........I've got a good reason for a .44 now.. (my new ported 629) ttt

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I'll spend some time on breaking in a new barrel on a match gun, but all my Marlins have been cleaned, oiled, and then shot, 100 rounds or so the first time out. As stated by deafrn, jacketed stuff seems to speed up smoothing out the barrel, lead takes a lot longer. Once I have 400-500 rounds thru the gun, I don't worry about cleaning the gun unless it starts getting gummy or acts up. But I do like to leave powder solvent (my honey calls it Chanel #9 :wink: ) in the barrel overnight, to give it a chance to loosen all the crud it can. It's amazing how much crud comes off gun parts when I let them marinate overnight! Try it on revolver cylinders, it even breaks down burn rings. Beats the heck outta scrubbing!

Papajohn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts