Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4519A971-99A9-42B4-90BE-22DAB4CA8F08.jpeg Got a 94 Legacy for pistol caliber silhouette in 45 Colt. Never loaded pistol caliber before so need advice on a mould and powder type to use. Got my 38-55 tuned up for rifle caliber but need help with 45 Colt.TIA

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Reactions: Goshawk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! I have been on the lookout for one of those for a while.
Me too, I was really surprised to see it advertised here in Canada. As soon as I saw the pictures and found out it was “new in box” I ordered it. I’ll probably never see another for sale up here. Just proves, sometimes a blind pig finds a mushroom. LOL

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
View attachment 759837 Got a 94 Legacy for pistol caliber silhouette in 45 Colt. Never loaded pistol caliber before so need advice on a mould and powder type to use. Got my 38-55 tuned up for rifle caliber but need help with 45 Colt.TIA
Nice rifle. I was about to post looking for almost the same information, My reloading experience is only with jacketed bullets and I have my first cowboy silhouette match coming up next month and need to work up some loads. I think I am just going to buy bullets for a while though.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Mark, does the Universal more or less fill the case or is it possible to double charge with this powder?
If you are worried about double charges, use Trail Boss. It was designed for Cowboy shooters. It works well IME.

I would go with the RNFP bullet mould. These were also designed for the Cowboy shooter lever rifles. Levers can be fussy about what they will feed. Get a small quantity of the bullet you like and test them.

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Mark, does the Universal more or less fill the case or is it possible to double charge with this powder?
Hey Gos,

If you were to double charge a 45LC with 7.0 to 7.5gr of Universal Clays (or Unique), the case would be CHOCK FULL of powder (as 13.7gr UNIVERSAL CLAYS is what I use in the 45/70, which is about 1/3 full) LOL

Try it and see. Use your measure (or dipper) and put two charges in an empty case, whilst in the loading block. LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
The classic 45 colt mould is the Lyman 454190.
Cast it soft (30:1) and load with Unique and/or Universal (which is not the same as "Clays")
Hey M,

Hodgon makes a line of shotgun/pistol powders.

Clays (about like Red Dot), International Clays (a bit slower than Green Dot) and Universal Clays (about like Unique).

This is the CLAYS "LINE" of Powders... and introduced in the early/mid '90's.

Take a look at a burn rate chart..

Later, Mark

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I tried the Universal powder in my 45Colt. Shot fine but heated the barrel really fast and the empty’s were very hot also. Is this normal?

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
I have a 25-5 with 83/8" barrel. When I got it all I had on hand were Lyman 454-190s the traditional bullet for 45Colt. I loaded them up with 9.0gr Unique at 875fps and it shoots like a target pistol. I came into 16lb of Win 630 dirt cheap and been using it 14.5gr at approx same velocity and it works well. I cast the bullet straight 50/50 lead& WWs. The Lyman 454-190 seems to shoot well out of Rugers and Colt clones too. Only 45Colt load I have that isn't a WC.

·
Registered
922 Posts
WOW, beautiful rifle! It screams for a tang sight or some sort.

Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts