Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Picked up a new revolver a few weeks ago. A Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal. I wanted a revolver that would fill in the gap in my "levels" for handguns for hunting, home defense, personal protection/concealed carry. I like it. I just may get another .327 in the Charter arms flavor... I am finding it harder and harder to keep coming up with excuses to "fill in the gaps" and "new levels" and "what if's" and so on. But so far I have been successfull in selling my points of view to the kepper of the purse strings.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hope the picture posts OK. :-[

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
The picture posted great. I love revolvers and have been wating for my SP 101 in 357/38 for almost five months now. Can't wait to have it here.
I stopped trying to make a case for getting another gun on my fourth or fifth. After that (the SP 101 will be the 12th), I just make a case of not taking more than 3 or four out of the safe at the same time ;D.

Cheers

·
Banned
20,300 Posts
Nice little revolver you got there toad! I've stopped coming up with "excuses" years ago and now it's "I want it", "I can afford it", or "just because"!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Toad

Nice photo. And a good gun to add to that line up. I believe you will like that SP101. I have one and it is a good gun- but mines a 22.

I am wondering about the 327 tho. In a good way. TK Custom guns makes that SP101 in 327 with the cut out cylinder so it loads from moon clips. I really wanted that gun when it came on gunbroker.... but let it go as the bid went over $700. No I read that I could buy the gun and send it to them to convert and it would only be like $100 for that.... so I'm thinking about that all over again.

I don't have a 32 caliber so I have a notch to fill.

Thanks for sharing.

M

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Congrats on your new gun.

Nice pictures and guns! Thank you for sharing.

My husband has a nice Ruger SP 101 in a .357Magnum and he really, really likes it a lot.

Catherine

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a think'in that my next handgun "needs" to be a Ruger semi auto .22lr. :eek: :eek: Yep, the little voices in my head are hard at work... ;D "Come on, can a man really be a man without one?" Ok, maybe that line won't work..... "All my friends have one" ...... Better... Will have work on it.... :D - Toad

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
My Dad has a Ruger SP101 in .357. Its the 2.25 inch version. Its a darn good shooter. When I first gave it a whirl I figured that it would have had more recoil than it did. It was really surprising in the regard. :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
A friend of mine came over the other night with his new ruger blackhawk in 327 federal.It's a fun gun to shoot with an 8 shot cylinder.After burning up the 327 loads we shot 32 s&w or h&r not sure which,destroying some zombie targets.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
We have two of them...on in .327 Federal and the other in the rare .22LR.

The .327 is plenty accurate, as is the .22, but I STILL can't find .327 brass.

Jon

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
It's interesting to see how perceptions change.

From the 1880's to the beginning of WWII, the 32 caliber handgun cartridges were extremely popular. Beginning with the 1878 introduction of the .32 S&W, then a bit later, the .32 S&W Long and the identical .32 Colt New Police (.32 Long Colt) they enjoyed great popularity in the small and mid-framed revolvers of the time. Rather anemic by today's standards, they were all loaded with 95 to 98 gr bullets at +/- 700 fps and yet they were considered more than adequate by both civilians and law enforcment alike.

Winchester brought out the .32-20 as a levergun cartridge in 1882 and Colt and S&W quickly followed with revolvers chambered for it. The .32-20 out of a handgun could reach over 1100 fps with it's 100 gr bullet and was highly regarded as a handgun round by outdoorsmen, both on it's own merit and as a combination with the Winchester leverguns.

After the end of WWII, few manufacturers even chambered revolvers for these cartridges and it wasn't until 1984 that H&R and Federal teamed up to introduce a modern .32 with improved performance. The .32 H&R Magnum would get 1200 fps with a 100gr bullet (handloads in modern .32-20 cases could easily outpace the .32 H&R), and although it garnered a small and dedicated following, it never generated much interest among the general shooting public.

The latest incarnation, the .327 Federal will reach 1400 fps with the traditional 100 gr bullet or 1300 fps with a 115 slug. Designed primarily to give near .357 Magnum performance in a small-framed revolver while retaining six shot capacity, it reaches these goals quite admirably. In the 3 years since it's introduction, nearly all the major handgun manufacturers have brought forth revolvers so chambered.

With the increasing number of folks today with concealed carry licenses and the renewed popularity of small revolvers like the S&W J-frames and the Ruger SP101 for that role, it has a ready made market and distinct possibilities. Will this award winning cartridge be the .32 that brings that bore diameter back into the mainstream? Only time will tell.

Roe

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have an old S&W 32 long OTG revolver that used to be my Grandfather's. Anybody know what the OTG stands for? Don't know how old it is but I know he had the revolver when I was a kid, almost 50 years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts