Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visited the local gunshop this afternoon and had my first encounter with examples (3) of the new Remlin Model 336. All were 30/30's and each was marked "336C"; so my impression is that this model will replace the old 336CS (could be wrong?). If so, then the company won't be counting me as a new customer. These 336C models featured checkered walnut stained hardwood stocks (no walnut like the old 336CS, had swivel studs with fixed bands (no more QD studs), all barrels were stamped North Haven, CT (did not see a NY address on these guns); and all serial numbers began with the prefix "MR". In appearance, this 336C closely resembles the newer version of the Marlin 336A except that the 336C has a forearm band and not a forearm cap. The 336C also has a gold-plated trigger (or something resembling gold perhaps?); and that was the only feature that gave these 336C models any "flash" at all, although it did little to give this model any class. Wood to metal fit around the frame and tangs was horrible; and worst of all, each gun cycled like crap and emitted the sounds of course sand paper on wood as the levers were operated. I MIGHT pay $100 and use one of these things as trade bait; but I would NOT purchase a single one of these hideous things for my own personal use. These were my first impressions and personal evaluations of the Remlin 336C, and someone else may have an entirely different view; but if I ever purchase another 336, it will definitely be an older model (and fortunately for us, there are a few million scattered across this nation!).

·
Registered
361 Posts
They had it mismarked, those are 336w's. I have one works great. They have made the 336c for a while and it has walnut stocks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love mine, the wood to metal fit is pretty great considering I am a stickler on that cause i grew up doing finish carpentry with my dad (so of course I redid the finish and some sanding just to make it have some of my blood sweat and tears in it). The cycling though i could agree with you on, but once cleaned and properly lubed up mine cycles pretty darn good now and is only get better as it wears.
That is terrible that all three were in poor condition like that, out of the five I had in my hands while shopping only one I did not think would be worth any money or trouble. Hopefully those get taken off the shelves and replaced with some better examples because they all aren't bad, its just right now it sounds like there are enough lemons for some lemonaid, but you usually dont hear people saying that things work as they are supposed to its the bad things you hear.
Safe shooting and keep an eye out for some new ones to come back in, they might change your mind.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think the missed point was that he was looking at 336 w's not 336 C's which have been in production for a while and that still have walnut stocks.

·
Banned
430 Posts
I remember when I visited Ben & Jerry's up in Vermont, they have a graveyard of retired flavors. From what I've handled, its time for a Marlin headstone. Thank God there are so many unused used ones out there.

Trust me, you Winchester lovers can relate

·
Banned
430 Posts
John, perfectionist aside. The thirty to forty new Marlins I've handled don't function properly.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Insert Quote
I think the missed point was that he was looking at 336 w's not 336 C's which have been in production for a while and that still have walnut stocks."

NO, I was not looking at a 336A; all three barrels were CLEARLY roll-stamped "336C". At first I thought they were 336A's; however, 336A models have a fore end cap whereas all three of these "336C" models have barrel bands. These model "336C's" looked exactly like what they were; cheap, low-end 336CS models with hardwood stocks. Did Remlin cobble these guns together from left over 336A and 336C parts? I haven't seen a new catalog; maybe the 336C is a new model, if not maybe it is some sort of limited run "rarity"? But I ask all you grizzled old-timers, how many years has it been since a 336 shipped standard with fixed sling loops? 1962 perhaps? And those out-dated things were certainly not a feature of what is known as the 336A. I've been a Marlin lever guy since I first started deer hunting in 1972 (?); so I'm certainly not deliberately denigrating Marlin levers, heck I'll give them the benefit of the doubt every time! And since that first Marlin in 1972 I've owned dozens, and handled hundreds of Marlin levers; but I've never seen three lever guns that were so rough and stiff to cycle straight out of the box. But folks can believe whatever they choose; maybe these 3 examples will not be indicative of the whole product line. Whether they are or not, however; these examples create a really bad image and will cost the company sales.

·
Registered
361 Posts
As of the newest catalog, the 336c is the flagship of the levers. It has been in production for several years and I believe it is the 336rc. I believe they dropped the r and are just doing 336c. The 336a is now called the 336W I bought a 2009 version.

I am not trying to be argumentative or say you are wrong at all and if it came that way I apologize.

If it was stamped 336c it was either a barrel on the wrong gun, the gun shop was desiring some walnut (joke) and switched the stocks, or it was walnut. The 336w as from the catalog for the past 3 years has said that it is a birch stock with walnut stain as a less expensive "hunter" version of the 336C.

http://d27vj430nutdmd.cloudfront.net/9629/56797/56797.1.pdf

i refer you to page 10

Please know that I am not trying to upset the apple cart I am just trying to give what little information I have to this site.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
NO, I was not looking at a 336A; all three barrels were CLEARLY roll-stamped "336C". At first I thought they were 336A's; however, 336A models have a fore end cap whereas all three of these "336C" models have barrel bands. These model "336C's" looked exactly like what they were; cheap, low-end 336CS models with hardwood stocks.
A 336C may be on the barrel, but if its a stained birch stock with a forearm band and not a cap, its a 336W. That's just all there is to it.

:)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple of years ago, I had a Marlin 30AW; this new 336C model was identical to that gun with the exception of the sling loops and hooded front sight. And having done lots of furniture building, I know walnut from birch wood; but checked the catalog link to see what was going on. These three guns do appear identical to what is noted in the catalog as a 336W; had the barrels been marked 336W, I would have given these guns only a cursory inspection. But all were roll-stamped 336C; and knowing the C model was the top of the line with walnut stocks, I wondered what the heck was going on. But if the boxes, which I did not see, are labeled 336W; and the barrels are roll-stamped 336C, then maybe the fact that C model barrels were put on W model guns is just more evidence as to the lack of attention to detail and carelessness in construction that has been evidenced in Marlin rifles since the transition to Remington manufacture commenced.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Could simply be a case of them useing barrels on hand. A 336C IS a 336CS and IS a 336RC, theyre all 336 carbines & today theyre all top of the STANDARD line of 336's, wasn't always that way but it is now. The 336 RC was once really the bottom of the line, its a carbine, the 336A was the top of the line, its a rifle. The 336 birch stocked models some came with bands & some came with forend caps etc, letters have changed thru the years too etc, 336W 336A 336AW 30 something or other etc. etc. etc.
Anyway the useing of mismarked barrels on ocasion goes back many decades. Marlin has always used up what they had if possible. Though they never sent out guns with extra dovetails that I know of. Theres 336's with model 36 barrels, model 36 levers etc, 336A's with 336ADL barrels & visa versa (real 336A's, not the more recent birch ones) so that in & of itself wouldnt bother me. Even the stock fitment issues arent really new or limited to Remlins. Those I blame more on mass production & I'v seen & handled some pretty bad ones made loooong before Remington came into the picture. The barrel droop that everyone is going on about isn't new either. I have a 336A from 1951 that is out left to right instead of up & down. The gun is very well used & I imagine in this case ignorance was bliss.

JMHO if you see one you dont like dont buy it, but we cant go blaming everything we see on Remington, especially if its things that have been going on for decades. :)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'm going to give them the benefit of a doubt and not worry about it so much. ;D

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Leverdude said:
Could simply be a case of them useing barrels on hand. A 336C IS a 336CS and IS a 336RC, theyre all 336 carbines & today theyre all top of the STANDARD line of 336's, wasn't always that way but it is now. The 336 RC was once really the bottom of the line, its a carbine, the 336A was the top of the line, its a rifle. The 336 birch stocked models some came with bands & some came with forend caps etc, letters have changed thru the years too etc, 336W 336A 336AW 30 something or other etc. etc. etc.
Anyway the useing of mismarked barrels on ocasion goes back many decades. Marlin has always used up what they had if possible. Though they never sent out guns with extra dovetails that I know of. Theres 336's with model 36 barrels, model 36 levers etc, 336A's with 336ADL barrels & visa versa (real 336A's, not the more recent birch ones) so that in & of itself wouldnt bother me. Even the stock fitment issues arent really new or limited to Remlins. Those I blame more on mass production & I'v seen & handled some pretty bad ones made loooong before Remington came into the picture. The barrel droop that everyone is going on about isn't new either. I have a 336A from 1951 that is out left to right instead of up & down. The gun is very well used & I imagine in this case ignorance was bliss.

JMHO if you see one you dont like dont buy it, but we cant go blaming everything we see on Remington, especially if its things that have been going on for decades. :)
Ken,

I agree in large part but, I've seen a number of the new Remington 336W's and they look like they whittled a bit on a 4x4 and stuffed it on the receiver. The width of the wrist is HUGE. Remington is not making their stocks in Ilion and I believe Tom said they outsourced the lever stocks (I may be wrong). But, there's no doubt that at least on the seven or eight that I have seen, they have definitely changed. I haven't seen any other pure Ilion models yet so I can't speak to them.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The Stocks are being made by Remington in Lexington,MO. .
I'm sending them the last of the spare parts from Marlin's Wood Room.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Eli Chaps said:
Ken,

I agree in large part but, I've seen a number of the new Remington 336W's and they look like they whittled a bit on a 4x4 and stuffed it on the receiver. The width of the wrist is HUGE. Remington is not making their stocks in Ilion and I believe Tom said they outsourced the lever stocks (I may be wrong). But, there's no doubt that at least on the seven or eight that I have seen, they have definitely changed. I haven't seen any other pure Ilion models yet so I can't speak to them.
I dont doubt it Erik. I used this thread to comment on, but my comments were compelled by a bunch of different threads & different issues people are bringing up, dont know why I chose this one, but I did. ;) I dont have much doubt that Remington isn't capable of doing things the way Marlin did,,, but I think it only fair to point out the fact that at least SOME of the things people have been mentioning have been going on for a long time. If theyre outsourcing the stocks that cant be a good thing. We saw some poor fitting issues when they were made in the same building as the guns were made. I cant imagine them being remotely well fitted if made elsewhere. I'd imagine they just make them oversized enough to stat any gun will accept them, meaning most will be pretty sloppy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Stock fit would not be worse just because the stocks are made out of house. The receiver and stock are made on a machine to a specification. Sure fit will be bad if either are not made to spec, but bad quality can be produced both in house and out of house, as has been shown by some Marlins I have seen over the last few years and they were made in house then. Its not like some craftsman is whittling a peice of wood and stops when the fit is just right. If it was impossible to make a good fitting stock out of house then an aftermarket stock would never fit a gun right.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Thank you Bullseye.. ;)

You all act like Remington is the bad guy here. They are not.

You whinners are the bad guy. You will whine until The holding corp. that owns Rem and Mar. and H&R, I think Cyrebus, will say this isn't working and will pull the plug on Marlin altogether.

Your incestant whinning will drive new buyers away from Marlin and that will be it. Then the price of used Marlins will go from $250 used to $750 used and then you will have something to whine about.

You are killing yourselves here over a "production made" gun that is a very good product.
Are you guys stupid????? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry Dave and Gunjunkie if this is out of line but it needs to be said. Delete it if you deem necessary.

John

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'll reserve my well informed comments on the machinery I've worked on and the
craftsmen/women I've worked with at Marlin in North Haven,CT. once my Paperwork is completed, and all my Final Checks have cleared from what used to be The Marlin Firearms Company.
jpickar your dedication and passion about Marlin Rifles is commendable, and I don't see any reason why your post should be pulled.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts