Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just waiting for my 10 day waiting period to end.....looked and played with a new Remlin I'm buying (I know...sight unseen...internet....yada yada.......

so .......just a brief look yesterday at the LGS......the rear site needed to be drifted big time......the stock was ...well......kind of blah......nothing to show off like a nice walnut......the matte black was a little turn off to me....but I can live with it.......cycled ok without loads.....trigger pull was not bad.......

I figured......for $375.....and they have had long enough to fix their QC..........

will eventually get to pick it up and take to the range to run a bunch of different 30/30 loads (factory) through......

.....thought it was interesting that they are still printing New Haven, Ct on the barrel...........I understand that some of them say Ilion, NY also.......interesting, but probably meaningless fact........

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Good luck, reckon it's a lot like an arranged marriage you know you are going like some of it for sure.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
[HR][/HR]That's a decent price congrats on buying it let us know how it shoots!!!!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Swany and Cajun

look forward to the range in 10 days..........hope she patterns sweetly

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
can't wait to hear how you like it. what kind of factory ammo you gonna shoot first? oh yeah we need pics or it did not happen.

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Congratulations on your new rifle. I am sure you will love it. Please post pictures when you get it home.

A 10 day waiting period? Where do you live Russia? Just kidding about Russia but what state is that and why. Is it so if you are mad at someone you will change your mind? What if you already have another rifle? I know you didn't make the rules but just wow. I bet selling guns can get tricky. I wonder how often people get buyer remorse. I know I have bought a couple that made me shake my head and wonder what I was thinking after I looked closer.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Congratulations on your new rifle. I am sure you will love it. Please post pictures when you get it home.

A 10 day waiting period? Where do you live Russia? Just kidding about Russia but what state is that and why. Is it so if you are mad at someone you will change your mind? What if you already have another rifle? I know you didn't make the rules but just wow. I bet selling guns can get tricky. I wonder how often people get buyer remorse. I know I have bought a couple that made me shake my head and wonder what I was thinking after I looked closer.

Kalifornicate - land of the beautiful, the enchanting, Pelosiville, Boxerburg, Moonbeamcity.:aetsch:

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can't wait to hear how you like it. what kind of factory ammo you gonna shoot first? oh yeah we need pics or it did not happen.
Remington 150 Corelokt, Fed 150 soft point FN, Fed 170 soft point RN, Winchester 150, Hornady Leverevolution 160..............

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My remlin 336Y liked Rem 170gr corelokt the best
Thanks for the suggestion....just ordered 3 boxes from Bass Pro yesterday........everything should be together for my first range attempt next weekend when I get my 336y out of the 10 day wait....CAN'T WAIT!!!

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Just waiting for my 10 day waiting period to end.....looked and played with a new Remlin I'm buying (I know...sight unseen...internet....yada yada.......

so .......just a brief look yesterday at the LGS......the rear site needed to be drifted big time......the stock was ...well......kind of blah......nothing to show off like a nice walnut......the matte black was a little turn off to me....but I can live with it.......cycled ok without loads.....trigger pull was not bad.......

I figured......for $375.....and they have had long enough to fix their QC..........

will eventually get to pick it up and take to the range to run a bunch of different 30/30 loads (factory) through......

.....thought it was interesting that they are still printing New Haven, Ct on the barrel...........I understand that some of them say Ilion, NY also.......interesting, but probably meaningless fact........
Your Report when you bring it home will go a long way toward me getting one. I would like a short barreled Y model that I can restock with an adult Walnut style. Congrats, hope it is everything you are looking for !

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So ...I brought it home ...cleaned and gently lubed ...installed scope base and placed on the target scope for the range ...I will be switching to the 1-4.5 scope once I see what this can do at benchrest at 50,100 & 200.

The famous Marlin trigger wobble is there however breaks clean and light with no creep .

Put some Balistol on the metal and I'm trying boiled linseed on the laminate to see if it will absorb any and add gloss and protection ....kind of doubt it will help as I'm trying sure the laminate is sealed .

I like it so far ...even loaded and extracted 170 rem corelokt to test feed and extract.

A few photos ..

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/escondido12/20140529_182036_zps8dd31e6a.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/escondido12/20140529_185731_zps3b552c27.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/escondido12/20140529_192852_zps19176a0e.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/escondido12/20140529_192902_zps8ccfffc6.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/escondido12/20140529_191758_zpse6c20dbf.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Picked one up yesterday at academy $379+tax 10 minute wait to complete paperwork -will clean up this weekend and shoot next week - grandson will hunt with 223 this year - will let him use 30-30 in a few years

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picked one up yesterday at academy $379+tax 10 minute wait to complete paperwork -will clean up this weekend and shoot next week - grandson will hunt with 223 this year - will let him use 30-30 in a few years
10 minute wait in Texas vs 10 day wait in Kalifornicate - I guess our grudges against others expire in 10 days and Texans are lots more forgiving and last 10 minutes......wish I was back in Texas!!!!!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey quiet22, you got your picatinny rail mounted backwards buddy. The overhang should be over the front of the receiver. No biggie, just FYI, and easy on the locktite Brother! :biggrin:
Hi Troy,

Yes, I knew I would hear about it.......but I just didn't like the looks the other way......I guess when I install my short hunting scope....the real determiner will be eye relief and cheek weld.

This is pretty exciting to have my first 30-30.........I pray that it performs well and the Remlin will grow into a Marlin one day!!!

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice one. I have the same one. It looks like yours has a gap where the stock meets the receiver just like mine does.... Otherwise a great compact gun!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Nice one. I have the same one. It looks like yours has a gap where the stock meets the receiver just like mine does.... Otherwise a great compact gun!
I am pleased with this rifle so far.....do miss a true figured walnut stock ....

I took her to the range today ....she shoots and extracts well ...seemed to prefer the 150 offering over the 170. She despised the 160 hornady plastic tipped....wide groups.

I shot about 120 different rounds....barrel could get pretty hot after a few shots.. ....and it seemed as I shot more the early winners and losers blurred with similar groups except for the Hornaday.

Took her home and cleaned the barrel with some borebright....wasn't exceptionally dirty....but it is the first set of rounds through the barrel....so I thought I would do this once.

Now reordering this evening some more ammo ....one realizes how cheap plinking used to be with 22's.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts