Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just got a new 336w for Christmas from my fiancee, havn't been able to get out to shoot it yet though :-(. Here's what I'm trying to find out, have you found a certain ammo working for you better than the others? I got a box of winchester super x 170g's and a box of Hornady levolution rounds with it. I have read some seriously concerning horror stories with these new remlins and am somewhat worried! I have run the action repeatedly to help smooth out the gun with and without ammo in it and it seems to be a hell of alot smoother now and it loads flawlessly and is not (to me) hard to load ammo in. The trigger is a little heavy but is crisp and the iron sights look straight (but cheap ramp) and the laminate stock is a pretty good fit with some very minor gap difference on one side not enough to put my fingernail in but enough that I can see a difference. I just ordered a rail mount to put my leupold mark 3 tac with low mount quick release leupold rings.

What kind of accuracy are you getting, what ammo has worked well for you? I don't expect a tack driver out of this at 50-100yrds but if it looks like a shotgun blast I am gonna be mad. I am hoping that maybe these late model 336w's (walmart) are being made a bit better than what I've read from the 2-3yr old posters rifles.

Issues I've wondered about from other posts before the remlin bash went into high gear? :dontknow:
1. horrible accuracy? due to ammo variance, heavy trigger pull?
2. bad barrels?
3. off hand or stabilized shooting position?
4. exaggeration of bad quality? I did see one picture and the barrel was so canted you could see the front sight blade cockeyed!
5. break in period?

By the way, this forum has got to have the nicest people I've yet to see on any forum period! Thanks so much to all the great people I've talked to so far! :congrats::tee:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
135 Posts
The only thing wrong with mine is a gap in the butt stock to receiver fit. It didn't bother me when I bought it but now that everyone is mentioning these things it's starting to

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing wrong with mine is a gap in the butt stock to receiver fit. It didn't bother me when I bought it but now that everyone is mentioning these things it's starting to
I know right! LOL :shot: When did you pick yours up?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and for what its worth I've had the stock and foregrip off along with the mag tube and everything looks good. Didnt take it down any further as it looked good and I've never taken one apart before.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here are the pics of the gaps. They look worst in the close up pics. Anyways the stock does fit nicely where it engages the receiver on the inside of the receiver and in the tang areas also. You can see in the pic where the base plate and receiver sides don't mate up 100%...i suspect that is the issue with getting a stock to fit. As far as I can tell this is the only issue with this one. Other than this stock fit issue the gun is an OK one. There was a guy who posted <1 inch groups at 100 yards with a 336y like this one here.
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man mine is almost identical. I feel better now lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Opps , like the pics you posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Read my lips "NO NEW TAXES"
You can keep your old plan, if you want. You can keep your doctor, if you want. PERIOD.
Remington has improved it's Quality Control and you can be assured that you you'll get a good Marlin.

·
Registered
691 Posts
My deer hunting days spanned a period from the mid 60s through the 70s. A bunch of us would gather at property my in-laws at the time owned in the Ozarks. I remember one guy had a 94 Win. the rest of us had a Marlin of some description either a Glenfield or Western Auto one had a waffle top .35. and 336s.
Conversations around the wood stove in the evening would be story telling and joking, seldom about guns. Never did I hear anyone say "Tell me something good about my rifle" Good was understood.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Despite what the myriad naysayers will tell you, "Remlins" can be very good rifles. I did some work on mine- I just couldn't stand that trigger flop, but she shot just fine- the rifle/action/barrel was good out of the box. Since then, I have swapped the trigger for the WWG Happy Trigger (thanks, Marlin Owners, for the tip!) and done some smoothing on the action. She now has a crisp 3 lb trigger pull and cycles like oil on glass. I've added all sorts of accessories (sling, peep sights, a scout rail) and my little Marlin 336 is surprisingly popular among my friends who shoot everything from tricked-out ARs to expensive hunting rifles. I do have a similar gap between the butt stock and the side of the receiver, but the fit between the tang and the stock is 100% fine with zero shifting. I got a good, reliable, consistent rifle for $400. Can't complain.

All that being said, the proof is in the pudding with these rifles. Some months ago, I handled a new Marlin 336 on the rack at a local gunstore and was shocked at how awful the action felt. It almost felt bound up when I cycled it, and I immediately put it back. The shop owner grumbled something about the new Marlins not being any good (sound familiar?) so I mentioned how good mine was in comparison. Bottom line (I can't say this enough), inspect thoroughly, and take it out and shoot it. Don't take our word for it.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
carl weis 2000 and Tommytman I'm wondering if the two rifles were made on the same day because in the picture that Tommytman posted it looks like the butt stock is ok but the receiver or the trigger plate don't match up.
T:hmmmm: NY

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
60 Posts
I love my 336W :)
I feel very fortunate...So far the craftsmanship has been acceptable and she's a beauty.
Accuracy has been awesome with all tradition ammo I've tried; Remington, Winchester, Federal, and both 150 & 170 grain shoots well.
Hornady Leverevolution is the only brand that didn't group well in my rifle.
Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
carl weis 2000 and Tommytman I'm wondering if the two rifles were made on the same day because in the picture that Tommytman posted it looks like the butt stock is ok but the receiver or the trigger plate don't match up.
T:hmmmm: NY
Yes the trigger plate and receiver don't mate up perfectly so fittin the stock in that area would be tough. The gap is less than the thickness of a dime. Like I said the stock fits nicely inside the receiver and in the tang area. I'm sure there are others out there

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'd have to look more closely but to fix it I'd need to file the plate to match the receiver and then fit a new stock. Probably not worth it but I suppose I can call remlin and see if they will send a bit stock to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My deer hunting days spanned a period from the mid 60s through the 70s. A bunch of us would gather at property my in-laws at the time owned in the Ozarks. I remember one guy had a 94 Win. the rest of us had a Marlin of some description either a Glenfield or Western Auto one had a waffle top .35. and 336s.
Conversations around the wood stove in the evening would be story telling and joking, seldom about guns. Never did I hear anyone say "Tell me something good about my rifle" Good was understood.
Hey DDDWho, sounds like a good time yall had! Unfortunatly my family lives 1300miles from me and 95% of my friends are from time in the infantry and are scattered around the country, and no one I know owns a marlin or has owned one. I've never been in ownership of a firearm that had so many QC issues written about it so I have been somewhat concerned. Didn't want to sound like I was looking for a emotional stroking about a mass produced lever action. I've heard the Ozarks are absolutely beautiful, is it all I've heard about?! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Despite what the myriad naysayers will tell you, "Remlins" can be very good rifles. I did some work on mine- I just couldn't stand that trigger flop, but she shot just fine- the rifle/action/barrel was good out of the box. Since then, I have swapped the trigger for the WWG Happy Trigger (thanks, Marlin Owners, for the tip!) and done some smoothing on the action. She now has a crisp 3 lb trigger pull and cycles like oil on glass. I've added all sorts of accessories (sling, peep sights, a scout rail) and my little Marlin 336 is surprisingly popular among my friends who shoot everything from tricked-out ARs to expensive hunting rifles. I do have a similar gap between the butt stock and the side of the receiver, but the fit between the tang and the stock is 100% fine with zero shifting. I got a good, reliable, consistent rifle for $400. Can't complain.

All that being said, the proof is in the pudding with these rifles. Some months ago, I handled a new Marlin 336 on the rack at a local gunstore and was shocked at how awful the action felt. It almost felt bound up when I cycled it, and I immediately put it back. The shop owner grumbled something about the new Marlins not being any good (sound familiar?) so I mentioned how good mine was in comparison. Bottom line (I can't say this enough), inspect thoroughly, and take it out and shoot it. Don't take our word for it.
Sevenhelmet, I hear you on the trigger, I noticed that right away and read nothing but great things about a that happy trigger! I'm trying to find 30-30 ammo in my area so I can burn about 100rnds when I go to the range. The only lever action I ever got to play with was my dads old 1892 winchester 38-40 he used as a pig gun down in florida when he was a kid. That thing cycles slick, but I never got to shoot it :-(. I knew not to expect that in the new marlin. After the army I just have a hard time getting into AR's lol, theres just somthing really cool about lever guns that catch my attention. I think its the mechanics of it and the looks! winchester 1..jpg

1 - 20 of 48 Posts