Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I got lucky, bought this back mid Spring from a favorite LGS. It passed the visual test, good furniture fit, barrel looked straight and it cycled well, for a new rifle. After cleaning, went to my Smith and they broke her down, smoothed the insides up, cleaned and worked the action just a little. No problems cracks etc. Very happy with this rifle so far. So much so, may pull the trigger on an 1895 GS locally. It too has passed the visual test. Hopefully things are starting to get better with Big Green.

Regards,

Randy

Team 35Rem #523
1895 SBL 45-70
336 1979 35Rem
336 1969 35Rem
444 1974 444M

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Good luck with the new rifle! I have the same rifle and it is functioning great, it's a real shooter. As long as you handle/inspect a Remlin before purchase you should have a REASONABLE chance of getting a good one. Just don't be afraid to hand it back to the clerk if it is too rough.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Love to hear about the quality coming through. Can you tell me if this was the only one you looked at or did you pick through a few? I am mostly curious. I purchased a new one right at the cutover a few years back and the LGS had three in stock so I picked the best one they had (visually) and never looked back. I did put a happy trigger in from WWG as mine was real heavy and inconsistent. That is the only minor complaint I have with it. Cheers, and happy hunting with your new toy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice looking rifle OP. I also picked up a SBL last week, but I guess I got real lucky. Bought it sight unseen online. I have only seen one locally over the past year, and it had a bunch of scratches on the receiver I was not willing to accept. I really wanted one of these for black bear hunting this fall, the area I hunt is overly thick with scrub oak and it's the perfect weapon for the area.

The one I received last week was a keeper. Wood to metal fit is OK. Not great, but acceptable. Finish was good, barrel straight, cycles smooth. The only real weakness is the checkering.

I ran some Barnes 300 grain TSX through it this weekend, it was about 2" low at 50 yards and grouped just fine for offhand shooting. No jams or malfunctions. I'll probably do the trigger happy job, and see if my smith can smooth the action out a little. Love the gun, and pleased as heck with how it shoots.

Mark

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The LGS had 2 of them when I bought mine. The other one looked pretty good overall, liked the trigger on mine better, so everything else seemed pretty equal. So both were pretty nice rifles. I can find 45-70 ammo in stores these days, so far it likes the Hornaday gummi tips. Big Green both the 300 gr and 405 gr bullets and the Federal Blue Box 300 gr bullets. Going to start learning to reload soon, getting pieces and parts together now. Then this thing will really shine. The Ballard rifling really does shoot the Hornaday gummis very well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good for You. I looked at the same rifle new on the rack, a few weeks ago and the one I saw was a stunner. wood to metal was great. the action was like butter. if I didn't have two 45-70's I would have brought it home. things are getting better.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Y'all were fortunate to visit an LGS who allows cycling. Too many leave the zip ties on the action and won't let you do anything but touch.

Your good fortune, due to your diligence practicing the basics for buying any firearm, is welcome news. If you get a chance, check your rifles' date of manufacture on this link and let us know their vintage. It may help others develop a pattern of what to look for when seeking a better quality Remington made Marlin.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-years-manufacture/9065-remington-dates-mfg.html I hope this is the right link.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I bought a SBL last week that was very good. In one week of shooting some and cycling a lot it's gotten much better. A few sharp edges that I will address once I get up enough courage to tear it down. Since Ohio now allows these we are seeing very recent production guns showing up in shops as they rush to jump on the wagon. Until this it was rare to see a new marlin/Remington so I can't comment on the problems that were seen previously. I travel all over the state for work and stop by most every gun shop in my territory and so far I've only seen one standard 1895 that I wouldn't buy. Granted I'm more concerned with a good shooter for hunting as opposed to one to collect.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
rlm1
Glad your rifle is good quality, it really tickles me that a lot of folks are now saying their "new Marlins" are well fitted & working well.
Keep us informed as to a range report please.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I'd rather purchase a well used JM than a brand new Remlin any day of the week. Just my opinion on this matter as I have owned both, JM = Quality; Remington = Lemonton!!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've had my SBL for a while now and it works great even without the JM stamp on it.
Accurate and cycles nice, no need for an action job on mine.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
That's great your SBL is looking good. The real test comes with function. Remlins have a habit of cycling unfired rounds just fine but when you shoot 'em, they can exhibit a grand mal seizure. I'm all for yours functioning as good as it looks.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've put through about 100+ rounds through mine and 80 of those were
full house Bear Loads. The other 40 or so were Cowboy Action loads.
Everything working great. Very accurate with the scout scope.
No FTF's or FTE's.
Some of the newer guns are actually working. yahoo.gif

Reactions: Frank V

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I've put through about 100+ rounds through mine and 80 of those were
full house Bear Loads. The other 40 or so were Cowboy Action loads.
Everything working great. Very accurate with the scout scope.
No FTF's or FTE's.
Some of the newer guns are actually working. View attachment 110065

:congrats::congrats::congrats:
That's great news. I'm REALLY glad Remington is getting it sorted out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts