Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I picked my new 1895 sbl today that has been on order since february. I inspected it at the store and was satisfied enough to complete the sale and she came home with me. The action felt a little clunky at first but after cycling it a dozen or so times it started to smooth out. I think with a good cleaning and some more cycling she will be really smooth. the fit and finish isn't perfect but it looks like they are getting better than some of the earlier ones we have seen here on MO. I noticed they droped the tactical second dovetail probably is cheaper to make them with only one. ;D The stock fits pretty nice you can barely fit a dollar bill between the stock and the wood on one side and it won't all fit on the other. I know most people would say this is unacceptable but this is the world we live in now. With a little work I can make it fit perfect. the barrel is straight which is a good option and the xs sight rail and front site look to be straight and inline. I did notice that a couple of the screws were a little buggered but not so bad. you really have to look to see them. the finish looks really nice and the stainless looks really good. I did notice two spots on the barrell when I first looked at it but a wipe with a lead removing cloth and they were gone. All in all I think I'll be happy with this although I haven't shot it yet. I plan to go this weekend and try to shoot it. I get back to everyone with a range report.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Looking good!

I noticed the bolt is grooved, perhaps they'll all get that bolt now that Rem. owns 'em.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Nice SBL,
I hope she is a good shooter for you. Always liked the look of stainless.
Maybe Remington is picking up their act, by jingos they have been droppin' the ball lately. If they have improved it may be because of all the ho har people have been making. Let's hope so.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Let us know how it shoots!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stock actually fits pretty damn good I had to move the bill back and forth until it slid between the stock and receiver it didn't just fall right in so thats a good thing. I'll be going either later today or tomorrow to shoot her so wish me luck hopefully it doesn't blow up in my hands. If you don't here from me by tomorrow night it means things went bad for me at the range. ;D

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Snapping Twig said:
Looking good!

I noticed the bolt is grooved, perhaps they'll all get that bolt now that Rem. owns 'em.

The SBL I bought for my son is the same way and it's a JM stamped.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Not so sure I like that grooved bolt but maybe change my mind when I see one up close and personal. Have never been a fan of large loops, IN MY OPINION it makes the gun look pregnant - but like I said that is my opinion. Overall that has to be one of the best REMLINS I have seen in your very good closeup pictures.

As has already been posted, let's hope it shoots like a Marlin . . . . . . . .

GB45

·
Super Moderator
12,190 Posts
I like the photo showing how you can put the bills in between the wood and metal. They sure don't make 'em like they used to but yours is better than the XLR I saw the other day, it had at least a 1/16" gap which is thick enough for $10 or so worth of singles..

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After a little more looking the barrel might be a little off. not quite indexed correctly. Not as bad as the 336 BL I got recently but i think it might bee off a little. the xs rail is not centered on the receiver. You can see a little more of the top surface of the receiver on the right than you can the left. And the front sight looks like it might be just a little bit crooked. its kinda hard to tell at first glance and it took me a little while to actually notice it.
You might not be able to see it in the picture but its definately not centered. and the rail seems to go up the barrel a little cock eyed.The screws on the rail are a little buggered probably because of the misalignment. It does shoot pretty well and it will feed the hornady leverevolution ammo so thats a good thing. I forgot my spotting scope so I was all over the paper. I really couldn't adjust for anything because I couldn't see the bullet holes on the paper till I went down to get the target. :-\z I took 3 shots inside on the 25 yard range in a standing position. not to bad for my shots ever with a 45/70.
The next 17 rounds were from a seated position off hand at 100 yards. No scope just the xs sights it came with. With some practice and a spotting scope to tell what I'm hitting I think I could shoot it pretty good.
I am still going to send it back to remington to index it correctly because it should have been to begin with. It really isn't too bad but I want it perfect for the $760 bucks I spent on it. I also noticed the the muzzle tip the finish is rough it almost at first glance looks like the finish is chipping even though its not. So that will have to be fixed too.
The other thing I noticed and although it very minor is th screw that holds the loop lever in comes loose after only a few cycles so I'll have them look at that too I'd hate to lose the screw in the woods during a hunt.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry guys but the big target for some reason is turned counter clockwise the left side is actually the bottom. Most of my shots were to the left and I think the poor indexing/sight alignment might have some thing to do with it. (yeah blame it on the gun for the bad shooting, works for me) ;D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well I talked to Remington today just so I could get my repair order number and was told that for whatever reason my SBL was put on the high priority list. Don't know why but I'm not complaining. It just got checked in on Thursday the 26th so we'll see how long it takes. The 336BL I sent in on the same day is not on the high priority list so I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I just took delivery of the SBL and it had just left the factory recently. I don't know but we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Man, I sure hope they make it good for you, I have been there done that when I bought my "Marlin" model. :-[ I can see clearly how off-center that rail is. ::) Looks like whoever is proof stamping them needs some practice as well. ::) Good luck!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
from what I've heard the guns coming back from being repaired have been good. Thats the main reason I actually bought it. I figured if it came in bad I would just send it back and hope it comes back the way it should have been new. I can wait deer and bear season are still a ways away so I have time. I also found a nice gbl stock and forearm for sale so hopefully I can get that and have it by the time the SBL get back.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
update

I called remington today for an update and they said it has made it to the bench and once the smith addresses the issues it will be sent over to be inspected and tested. Should probably be sent back to me next week sometime. Shouldn't it have been inspected and tested before it was sent out the first time. Looks like the business plan is to mass produce these rifles without regard for quality control and then if the rifles come back take the time to fix and look them over really good. I bet if every rifle got sent back that things would change. Sad part is probably only 3 out of ten rifles actually get sent back if that. Most people probably just live with it or fix it themselves. sad but thats the world we live in now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. I want one of these sooooo bad. Saving money now ;)

kenken

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
skmarsh77 said:
update

Shouldn't it have been inspected and tested before it was sent out the first time. Looks like the business plan is to mass produce these rifles without regard for quality control and then if the rifles come back take the time to fix and look them over really good.

That is the results of "Lean Manufacturing"........lots of companies are doing this now.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts