Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded my first batch of revolver ammo last week and finally got to try them out yesterday. Made 6 each of 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum and 327 Federal Magnum, all with 78 grain Meister lead bullets. All went bang and punched holes in the paper approximately where intended. No apparent problems. Still have all 10 digits and the gun is still useable. Only had HP-38 powder and it sure seemed like a small amount relative to the capacity, even for a minimum load.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Yeah, reloading it not all that difficult. Sure you can make a mistake, like putting black powder in your casings, rather then smokeless powder, and blow your hand off.

Here's two rules in reloading that about covers it all:
Rule #1 in reloading -- don't drink when reloading
Rule #2 in reloading -- don't be a dumbass

:biggrin:

·
Registered
389 Posts
You just have to pay attention to the details. You are correct that there usually seems to be a lot of "left over space" when you load pistol cartridges especially with fast burning powders like Bulls Eye. Just double check that you don't put two powder charges in the case. This is easily accomplished by visually inspecting and comparing the powder levels across cases. There is a tremendous amount of useful information in each of the loading manuals. Take the time to read them. Also, no distractions allowed when reloading. You can't watch the kids or the TV and pay attention to what you are doing at the reloading bench. Sometimes I will listen to the radio but other reloaders won't even do that. Reloading is a great hobby. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
congrats on the first loads, now your confidence will build but make sure you follow PUBLISHED loads and not from your friend and you should be ok. I check and recheck during the reload process so if I am lucky will catch the mistakes. Recently just started using the auto powder dispenser with my lee turret press and actually had one squib load out of about 500 that the powder did not drop. Lucky for me I noticed the light pop and saw the projectile peeking out of the barrel. It certainly cut my range time down as I had to stop for the day and check the weight of all my reloads in that batch. so mistakes can and will happen just if you have any doubt, pull the bullet and start over.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
All the above is very good advise. I might add, develope a routine that works for YOU and stick to it religiously. Check, recheck and check again. Good infor to be found in our reloading section here on MO. Take care, enjoy reloading, John.

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
If ever in doubt " did I put to much powder in, DUMP IT OUT! or oh well imr 4064 , 331, and 7828 it all just numbers same power different bottle" do that and You may FIND OUT if their is life after death.

·
Registered
34 Posts
STOP, you are heading down a path of addiction.... I am here to help you of course,,, so if you stop reloading there will be more powder,primers,bullets,brass, and various sundry items for me..... I can only try to discourage you and if that doesn't work then you need to embrace this addiction. You must admit you are weak and buy several reloading manuals, then a few more. You must pay attention to detail because my friend you ARE playing with explosives....... Seriously BE CAREFUL take your time and have fun !!! Life is short and it is soooooo important to PAY attention to what you are doing... Remember God forgives, but not powder.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for the advice and encouragement. I have the latest Lyman and Lee manuals and have read and studied both multiple times. I got one hands on lesson from a very experienced reloader friend and I can't count the number of youtube videos I have watched before ever starting. Besides that, I have read a lot of knowledge from this forum.

Almost forgot to say, I can definitely feel an addiction coming on. It was really a great feeling knowing I made those myself and shot them.

·
Premium Member
3,280 Posts
Besides being able to enjoy your guns at home, going to the range to test loads after handling one disaster after another at work, and a touch of "ADD" (self diagnosed), my mind totally locks onto the testing. And all the brain "frag" from that day seems to evaporate away.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice and encouragement. I have the latest Lyman and Lee manuals and have read and studied both multiple times. I got one hands on lesson from a very experienced reloader friend and I can't count the number of youtube videos I have watched before ever starting. Besides that, I have read a lot of knowledge from this forum.

Almost forgot to say, I can definitely feel an addiction coming on. It was really a great feeling knowing I made those myself and shot them.
Get a Weatherby and reloading becomes not an addiction but a necessity. Factory ammo is about $5 to $6 a shot vs. reloading can get it down to $1 a shot.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can sure understand the $5-6 per shot. That hurts real quick. Mine are 32 revolver and 35 Remington, neither of which can be found in cheap ammo for plinking. Cheapest 32 I have found is actually the Amer Eagle 327 at about 60 cents. Even buying lead bullets I can get that down to less than 15 cents. If I eventually start casting boolits it may be cheaper than 22lr and certainly more available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.