Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 39as last week. It's great. I took it to the range for the second time this afternoon and accidently knocked the rear sight off. I thinking about a new peep sight as a replacement. The Williams 5D model looks good. Any comments or other suggestions. I am keen on ease of installation.

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
183 Posts
Brad....

I have both the Williams 5D and Foolproof sights on a couple of my rifles.

I will not be buying the 5D again. Once you get it set, it's allright, but difficult to adjust with any certainty of the results. Its finicky and real easy to adjust too far. I have the 5D on a Winchester AE trapper in .357. I don't experiment with different reloads on this rifle very much, because I'm well aware of the difficulties in resetting the sights on it....from bad experience!

The Williams Foolproof is the one I have on my 39A. Its got the click adjustments, and is much more user-friendly making small adjustments.

The downside is the foolproof costs more, but I guarantee you that you'll be glad you spent the extra bucks to get one.

As did I, I think you'll realize an increase in accuracy, due to the addition of a receiver sight. You won't be disappointed, for sure.

hogship

·
Registered
59 Posts
Brad: If your 39AS is new, then the receiver is most likely not drilled for a receiver sight. The manual still shows the holes but they're not there. I looked into new sights for mine (2001) and I opted for the Peep Tang sight from Marble's (#9804). The installation of the tang peep only requires one hole to be drilled and tapped and it's in the tang, not into the receiver. The Marble's sight will not deface the SN either. Hides it but not defaced. I love mine and it works great. Midway sells the sights for
$100 +-. Enjoy your fine rifle!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The serial number begins "00131..." Does this mean it was built in 2000? There are three little screw heads on the top of the reciever. Isn't this where the new sight would go?

Thanks again.

Brad

·
Registered
183 Posts
Brad....

Yes, the first two digits "00" indicate your 39AS was manufactured in 2000. My 39A was manufactured in 2001 and it was drilled and tapped for the Williams receiver sight......yours should be, as well. I believe Marlin stopped drilling for the side mounted receiver sight in 2002.

Regardless, Williams is now making receiver sights for the 39A which mount to the holes drilled into the top of the receiver. It doesn't matter which of the two mounting options you get, either will work on your rifle.

Mine is the side mount Williams sight. There are two holes on the left side of the receiver for it.....drilled horizontally. One of the mount screws is visable in the photograph just to the left of the "williams" logo. The other is under the logo.

Another option, as chuckles, pointed out is the Marbles tang sight. This is a good sight, too.....but has one serious drawback. Tang sights are fragile and won't stand up to abuse. If you have the misfortune of dropping your rifle on the tang sight....it's toast! The Williams receiver sights are tough as nails. I have a Lyman tang sight on a 336CB. I like it for its authenticity, but it won't take much of a bump to alter the allignment....to be honest, I spend too much time worring about bumping it out of allignment. I don't have that problem with the Williams.

Either way, results at the target will make you wonder why you waited so long to get the peep sight.....it really will make a better shooter out of you!

hogship

·
Registered
201 Posts
Brad

I think you should also take look at a Lyman # 66 reciever sight. Personally I think it's also a darn good choice.

DG

·
Registered
70 Posts
Brad; I don't know if price is a concern, but if so, Numrich has the Williams 5D for the 39 at the bargain basement price of $6.50. For that price you can give it a shot, and if you don't like it, what have you lost? I have one, and it is a little difficult to adjust, but once you have it sighted in, it's great.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Glen1: Just went looking through my #25 Numrich catalog and couldn't find the Williams 5D for $6.50. :( What page or what part # do they carry it by? In my book they were on page 1158 for $32.10. The Lyman 66 was listed for $74.95. :shock:

Natchez Shooters supply had the Williams "Fool-proof" for $47.26 and the Lyman 66 for $55.20. :wink:

I'm going to wait until I shoot mine (next week sometime) before deciding if I want to go with the receiver sight. :D

My 1897 Texan was manufactured in 2002 and has the receiver drilled and tapped on the left side as well as on the top. :D My 1894 SS , also manufactured in 2002, was only drilled on top of the receiver. :x That one carries a scope, as Williams hadn't come out with the receiver sight that attaches on the top scope mount screws when I got it. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
luisyamaha - Numrich does indeed have the Williams 5D peep sight on sale for $6.50 plus shipping. Go to their web site and try their "order by part number" option and use part # 874010 to find it. Mighty tempting if you wanted to try out a peep sight without investing a lot of money. Good luck

Tom

·
Registered
70 Posts
Luisyamaha; Plinker Tom gave you the info you need. In fact I think I got the info from Tom on the old Marlin Talk. I purchased one, and am more than pleased with it's performance for the small investment. Works great. Glen

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
My 5-D sight arrived today. I'm pretty impressed with what I got for the Numrich price. I have it mounted and bore sighted- all that needs to be done now is get out and shoot it, and get it zeroed. Did find a little control over the adjustment movements by leaving slight friction on the lock screws- will see how well this approach works to zeroing when I do get out to shoot. Thanks to Plinker Tom, and Glen-1 for the heads up...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 12 of 12 Posts