Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the MKA Knife Show in Missoula Saturday and ran in to Robert Martin there. Robert was showing his amazing damascus steel blades and after looking at all of the different blanks he had I found one that I couldn't leave without. This blade is cut from Robert's beautiful Ice Jam Damascus steel, this piece has over 500 layers in it. These pictures are simply not able to do this piece of art justice but here goes anyhow. I am going to finish this knife with the help of a blade smith that works in the same building with me. I'm looking forward to your suggestions concerning handle material. A fancy grade of dark walnut or maybe a highly figured type of stabilized burl would look right with this piece. I can tell already this knife is going to get scary sharp from running just a few strokes over a ceramic hone.

Jesse

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is another view of this blade. Sorry about the lousy background in the first picture but it was the best shot I've gotten so far....smile.

Jesse

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
That thing is a beauty and I love the size and shape! A good bone or stag handle would look good as well ;).

·
Registered
578 Posts
Very nice Jesse!

My vote goes for a nice piece of exhibition grade Walnut, but as Festus suggested, some nice bone or antler would look good with the Damascus too.

Have fun, and keep us "Posted".
Charlie

Oh,,, and don't forget the mosaic pins. A must with Damascus IMO.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Beautiful piece. Can't wait to see the finished product. Wow, here I am talking about custom knives after being out of that whole business for so many years. I wasn't a maker. I was a hand engraver, but I did many of the shows.

I used to have a Frank Centofante folder that had some kind of a burl handle that reminded me very much of the patterns in Damascus steel. In this case, you could actually feel all the patterns in the wood. It wasn't polished smooth.

That might make for a very interesting combo. OTOH, something smooth might give the piece somewhat of a balance. You know, a contrast between the smooth handle and the textured blade. Just a thought.

I was always a sucker for a nice piece of Cocobolo...as long as I didn't have to work with it that is.

Good luck with the knife.

Andy

·
Registered
578 Posts
AJR said:
I was always a sucker for a nice piece of Cocobolo...as long as I didn't have to work with it that is.

Andy
LOL,,,, Oily huh?

I feel the same way about a set of Maple burl scales I tried my hand at recently.
The more I sanded it down, the more surprises I uncovered.
A beautiful piece of wood, but it ended up with more pockmarks than I had at 16.

I'd love to see a sample of your work if you'd care to share Andy. :)
Thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
79 Posts
MyDogsHunt said:
LOL,,,, Oily huh?
I really have a reaction to that stuff. I slightly sanded the smallest bit of cocobolo once and my throat got all raw, I started to wheeze and cough something fierce. I do have a Ralph Turnbull knife that I engraved and it has cocobolo scales, but it doesn't bother me just to handle it.

I had to quit engraving some years ago after a serious back/neck injury and the resulting back surgery. Here's a job I did on a Jess Horn folder. I have some other shots, but I don't want to hijack Jesse's thread worse than I already have. ;D

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andy for work like that you just go right ahead my friend, show us more please! That is beautiful work! Coco Bolo eh? I looked at some of that on line last night, I need to look around more until I find something nice for this one. Andy thanks for your input, glad to have you aboard.

Jesse

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Great project Jesse. I'm big fan of stag antler and bone. What about colored bone for your knife?, like the ones on Case folding knives: red, blue or green.

Andy, please, more pictures of your terrific work, either here or in a new thread.

Cheers

·
Registered
578 Posts
AJR said:
I really have a reaction to that stuff. I slightly sanded the smallest bit of cocobolo once and my throat got all raw, I started to wheeze and cough something fierce.
Great work Andy!
I know what ya mean about the Cocobolo. Makes me feel like I have COPD when I sand the stuff. Takes a couple days to catch my breath if I don't wear a mask.

Jesse,,,,,,,, Cocobolo is beautiful wood for sure but it can be somewhat of a crap shoot if you're buying it on-line.

Here's a couple fo Green Rivers I recently did for my friend and his son down in Elko.
Both are nice in their own way, but as you can see, there's quite a difference in the two sets of scales. Both sets were bought at the same place at the same time.

Bone's a good idea too. I just got a set from Jantz that are going on another one of those small skinner's. Gonna dye em with some of Fiebing's British Tan leather dye. I've never used bone scales before so this should be an adventure once I get around to it.
Luck
Charlie

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jesse, Kaweskar, Charlie...thanks very much. I'm glad you enjoyed the work. Here's the only other scanned knife photo that I have online for now. I'll dig through my book at some point to see what other photos I have. I haven't looked at that stuff in ages.

At the bottom is a small 4" Ray Beers knife with micarta scales. This was tough because it was stainless steel that became hardened during the soldering process. I had to use a carbide graver that I needed to sharpen several times.

The only 2 guys I remember from the old days that made damascus steel (and knives) were Daryl Meier and Jerry Rados. I didn't know either of them well. I used to see JR at the shows once a month and I met DM at his workshop to discuss something I can't even recall now. LOL!

I see they are still up and running, so you might have a look at their sites to see what different types of handle material look like on damascus.

http://www.meiersteel.com/main.html
http://radosknives.com/rad1/knives.htm

'Very' handsome knives there Charlie! I can't even imagine trying to make one. A tip of the hat to you guys. It's tough work to turn raw wood and steel into such beautiful tools/art.

Nice examples of the differences in cocobolo too. It seems it can be either on the yellowish side or reddish side. The color on the top knife is very familiar. I like both examples though.

Andy

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Charlie from the looks of your work I should be asking you to help me with this project....smile. That is some great fit and finishing you did my friend and the contrast between the two sets of scales is very important for me to learn. Thank you my friend.

Andy your work is beautiful indeed and thank you for the links, I'll get busy looking through their sites this evening.

Thanks everyone for your help and input.

Jesse

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
AJR said:
Guys, if you want to see the most insane engraving and knifemaking skills on the planet, feast your eyes. http://www.lindsayengraving.com/Steve Lindsay.htm
Us mere mortals can only dream. <sigh>
Andy
Fantastic site, thanks for the link.
This picture shows how good these guys can be. Very impressive work of art.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Kaweskar I'd have a hard time shooting that one :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
me said:
Come on, you mean you wouldn't put it in a holster and practice your fast draw with it? ;D

Yeah, that's quite a piece of work. The inlay work is beautiful.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
I plan to have some engraving done on a 1911 1 A but nothing like that :) I'm thinking 1st Texas flag on the back left hand side of slide and something on the opposite.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
me said:
As much as I like to watch these pictures, I'd have a hard time even buying one of those guns. For me, my guns and knives are working tools in the first place, and I use and abuse them as such. ;)

Cheers

1 - 20 of 32 Posts