Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started in with ernest today to get all of my sizing done for the 1st batches of test rounds for my Marlins. Sized up 180 of the 35 cal cases with only minor problems with some very old cases from the relatives. Who remembers head stamps like "Super Speed" or "W-W Super" & FC. The SS & ww Super were stuck case with each try. The FC had an occasional stuck but most went. Got to the 444 cases and really had some problems. I bought 100 cases off a RP head stamp and I had 20 RP's and 40 of the Hornady that were fired from my gun. All of the fire formed sized with no problem, NONE of the RP cases purchased would run up the die more than 3/4 without major problems (stuck case) I got curious and pulled out the 444 and ran each problem case thru the chamber. Each chambered and ejected with no problem. I then did mock load by neck expand, bullet seat and factory crimp and ran these thru the gun, again no hang ups of friction detected. I then took some of the purchased cases and had to lightly neck size to keep the bullet from falling into the case. I then seated the bullet and did the factory crimp. Ran these thru the gun without a problem. I dont want to trash these cases so my thoughts are to load at the low end and fire from my gun and see if they can be reworked. What are your thoughts on this. OH, Also I used Lyman case lube on all the resize and ran them thru the dishwasher in a small mesh bag (Lingerie bag at Wal-Mart) with a zip top. I put about a 1/4 cup of Dawn in the wash and did a double rinse. The cases were clean and bright and about 90% dry. My fingers hurt so will sign off now. Any help would once again be appreciated. As you can probably tell, I am relatively new to the reload scene and could use all the help I can get before blowing my nose off. Have a good one and......................Bottoms Up!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't know how old some of your brass might be but if it was older brass and fire formed it could possibly be work hardened and brittle. You might try taking 4 or 5 and annealing them in the upper half and see if that cures the problem. If you are just starting I think I would start with new or once fired brass, especially to work up new loads, it takes one variable out of the equation. If this older brass was scrounged off the range or wherever it can give you crazy and erratic pressures as well. I know we all like to save money but sometimes unknown brass just isn't the place to try and do it. Just my 2 cents. 8)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem 444 brass was once fired and looked new upon arrival (untumbled, nice shine and no marks from wear etc) The Lyman lube is a spray and I applied by laying it flat on a news paper and spraying the top real good and then a shot down the throat. I then rolled it around and hit it again. The same as the easily sized cases. As for the older 35 brass it is in the trash, once I saw the pattern of stuck cases I went thru and sorted out all the trouble headstamps and canned em. The sized 35 cases went into the dishwasher after they were, sized, primer pockets cleaned, flash holes cleared, throat deburred in and out. The 444 cases I was able to size (60 pcs) went into the tumbler after the sizing to see if the corn cob would remove all the lube and it did not after 3 hours of tumble. They will go in the dishwasher today.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One other ? I picked up some Speer Hot-Cor 180 grain .358 Flat Nose bullets. After opening the flat is much smaller than I had imagined. THey will sit flat to the primer in a tube fed and cover 90% of the primer surface. What is the opinion on these bullets used in a tube fed marlin?

·
Registered
121 Posts
That speer bullet is fine. Stop using the dishwasher. don't spray the lube into the case mouths. I put cases in a styrofoam tray(the ones prepacked meat comes in), spray (lightly) the cases over the top, then swirl around like a gold miner pans for gold. that is plenty of lube.
Did you clean the foctory rust preventitive fron the inside of the dies?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts