Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's the title of the John Haviland article in the latest (June) issue of Handloader magazine.
Just got it, haven't read it yet. Just wanted to let everybody know.

Reactions: mrguvna and oleroy

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! :driver: Now I have to go the bookstore. I wonder, are there really new powders that are available, or, since the tried and true powders are so hard to find, are they substitutions we can use? Actually, either would be welcomed.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Accurate LT-32, Alliant Power Pro 1200-R, Hodgdon CFE 223, IMR 8208 XBR, LE & Ramshot TAC.

Got a can of TAC floating around here somewhere.
Been hearing some good things about that CFE 223 powder, may have to look into it more.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I've been playing with the LE for years, but only recently began using it for cast. Its only worthwhile with extreme loads. Using it downloaded has not worked to its potential. I have gotten a load with a copy of RCBS's 180gr. (NOE 200gr. actually) bullet going 2350fps in an XLR. Using cast, it really shines as long as the bullet is big enough.

I've got some CFE 223 powder, but haven't opened it. So many loads, and so little time!

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I had found some Power Pro 1200, it worked swell in a 308. I am going to try it in my next 30-30 load workup. It seemed like a very stable, easy to light ball-type powder as well. I had no problems using BR2 primers under it. I also have some Big Game I may try in it. Nice to have choices.

OOPs! I meant Power Pro 2000MR! Sorry about that!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I wonder, are there really new powders that are available, or, since the tried and true powders are so hard to find, are they substitutions we can use?
45nut, Accurate has several powders in the medium fast range that are neck and neck with traditional favorites like 4895 or W748. Take a peek at the Accurate load data, and if you spot a stray lb, grab it. AA2520, 2460, 2495 and 2230 are powders I've played with the last couple years. They work great in the .30-30, and several other cartridges. They have generally been more available, but I'm guessing lots of others have also figured it out. It's been harder to find of late.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Its 30WCF or 30-30 Marlin

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
The problem is that powder is SO expensive, if you can find it. Sure, on-line dealers have powder for short periods until its sold out, but you get nailed with shipping charges and have to wait.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
45nut, Accurate has several powders in the medium fast range that are neck and neck with traditional favorites like 4895 or W748. Take a peek at the Accurate load data, and if you spot a stray lb, grab it. AA2520, 2460, 2495 and 2230 are powders I've played with the last couple years. They work great in the .30-30, and several other cartridges. They have generally been more available, but I'm guessing lots of others have also figured it out. It's been harder to find of late.
Your experiences mirror my own, I've been using AA Powders for a dozen years or more, and have several favorites. You're right about 2520, 2460 and 2230, they are extremely useful in cartridges we used to load with all the standard IMR powders. I used to have quite a stash of the AA stuff, but since the shortages have continued this long I've had to use up a fair amount of them. They are getting harder to find in the stores, where they used to be all you could find in some places. They meter like they should, and ballistic uniformity is excellent. If I had to settle on one brand of powder it would likely be Accurate Arms.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
When you can't find your favorite 30-30 powder just go to your burn rate chart and go up and down 3 notches with BLC#2 in the middle. Any one of them will work well.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Its 30WCF or 30-30 Marlin
I always ask why do they call it .30-30 Winchester, when Marlin called it .30-30?

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
First we would have to know who "they" are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts