Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just registered on here to help me settle an internal debate on my next rifle. Found a 1964 model a guy near me is selling and it looks like its in pretty good shape, but soon realized that brand new ones can be had for ~$50-100 more. But I quickly realized the older one is the winner after a bit of reading here. By no means is this my first rifle, and I plan on buying reloading dies for this soon after. Will hopefully be picking it up the end of this week!

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!Thats a sweet lookin rifle!!!

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Hello from the top of Illnoise
The state with the most corrupt politicians in the USA.

·
Banned
20,300 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Welcome, from DFW, Texas

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hello and welcome from North Florida
JW

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Welcome to MarlinOwners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners. I went through the same decision when I was getting my first centerfire rifle. I had shot a lot of rifles over the years, and put in a good bit of research. I settled on the Marlin 336 .30-30 and couldn't have been happier since. I've since acquired and sold over a dozen additional rifles, but the Marlin is here to stay. I even added another (a .45-70) to the collection, and will have a .35 Rem before too long.

Bottom line, they're rugged, versatile, lightweight, handle very well, have fast and intuitive controls, chamber for commonly available, efficient, and very effective rounds, are affordable, and are attractive to look at and fun to shoot. An American classic.

I enjoy other kinds of rifles, too. You really can't go wrong with a good Marlin, though.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
bottlerocket welcome :)
Odds are that one be the best buy for the $$. A 30-30 is not a gun that gets a lot of rounds threw it.I know a few guys will say they shot it a lot but if it's lever is firm, it doesn't s look abused it probably hasn't seen 500 rounds unlike my 22-250 ;D And it don't have that do gooder bar safety.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I am no stranger to rifles or any other firearms in general, but still new to the whole lever action game. I typically hunt with a Savage. 308 long action so this would be something to make it more fun to me IMO. the savage is dialed, shoots .5 MOA with my reloads and im very comfortable taking a moving target at those ranges. I know the 30-30 really isn't meant for that, but most of my hunting is west tx and under 200 yds so perfect for this weapon

Before I go get this thing tomorrow is it possible to mount a sling on this? I do not see a boss for one. Also what would one expect to pay for this provided it is in good condition (no pitting, no rust, action in good working order, not too many nicks on the wood, etc)?

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! John

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
The newer ones come with sling swivel studs from the factory. My 2008 336 did, at least. I'm pretty sure my 2001 .45-70 does as well, but I can't remember for sure right now (I haven't had it too long). You can install some yourself for cheap, or get a sling that doesn't require swivels and all that. Just don't install the stud through the bullseye in the buttstock.

The one you picture looks fairly nice. A little patina, on the lever, bottom of the receiver, and mag tube, I think? I like the look of some nice, honest patina on a rifle. It appears to be a Texan model, since it has the straight grip and not the pistol grip. It really depends on the part of the county. Could be anywhere from $250-400, I'd say. I almost bought a nice 1980 .35 336 a couple weeks ago for under $300.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
bottlerocket we are at your service ;D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Okay, you HAVE to explain your user name! ;D

Welcome from Hoosierland.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts