Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So glad to be shooting matches again. We made a big road trip this weekend and shot a highpower Sporting rifle match on Saturday. Beautiful range, great people, fantastic competition, well run. Then we drove about 60miles east and fished the rest of the day, dry camped (glad it was dry, had hail earlier).Next morning we got up and fished again until 11,then went to another fantastic range and shot lever action rifle cartridge silhouette match. I shot my sweet 38/55 rebore for the second match (second match with this rifle). My friend, spotter,adventure seeker,and I started with pigs, and the stars seemed somewhat in line. 7 pigs, not great, but the ones hit were well centered. Sorry this is so long, just realized it may be too long to read. went to turkeys and got 7 well centered and well spotted hits and three well spotted misses. Then to rams 7 more great feeling clanged. Big 255 gr lead going slow knocks them flat. Great, 21 with only chickens left to shoot. Hit the first five chickens for the only five in a row, missed #6 chicken, and finished with 4 hits. My high water mark, 30 hits. My friend shot well too,and ended with 24,great road trip. We drove the close to 4 hour trip home safely, happy, and tired.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
It feels so good to come home from a match having done better than you ever have. Makes little difference where you placed, you still can't wipe the smile from your face......

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Good job! A 30 is a fine score around here. Probably not win every match with it, but will be in the top 2-3 usually & will win some!

·
Read Only
1,038 Posts
strugl4xsc,

Great shooting. I also started with the traditional 250gr bullet in the 38-55. I worked up to 30 range over a few years. However, it was not until a fellow International Class shooter at our range made a suggesting that got me to the next level.

He suggested stepping up the load. I tried with the 250 gr and found in the later stages, the recoil was causing me to drop a few. That is when I switched to a lighter bullet.

If you cast, the 210gr bullet below is one I had Tom at Accurate Bullet Molds design and it is outstanding. A good starting load should be 21 gr of H or IMR 4198 and move to find the best groups. The lower recoil and getting the bullet up to around 1,600 fps really helped.

38-210E-D.png

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
strugl4xsc,

Great shooting. I also started with the traditional 250gr bullet in the 38-55. I worked up to 30 range over a few years. However, it was not until a fellow International Class shooter at our range made a suggesting the got me to the next level.

He suggested stepping up the load. I tried with the 250 gr and found in the later stages, the recoil was causing me to drop a few. That is when I switched to a lighter bullet.

If you cast, the 210gr bullet below is one I had Tom at Accurate Bullet Molds design and it is outstanding. A good starting load should be 21 gr of H or IMR 4198 and move to find the best groups. The lower recoil and getting the bullet up to around 1,600 fps really helped.

View attachment 811945
I will consider it, but I am not moving the sights excessively, and it is very comfortable to shoot. Where does the speed help?

·
Read Only
1,038 Posts
I will consider it, but I am not moving the sights excessively, and it is very comfortable to shoot. Where does the speed help?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

All of us are different. I had a stroke 5 years ago and my balance is not what it once was as well as my eyes. The faster lock time to bullet leaving the barrel helped me. The barrel has less time to move. I really saw the difference one match to the next when I went from a subsonic 270 gr load load to the 210 gr 1,600 fps load.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Higher velocity= flatter trajectory, less time for the bullet in the barrel(faster lock time) better wind bucking ability. Maybe even more energy down range( more steels knocked down).

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everyone was just trying to help, the post has gotten a little off track. I was just excited about how the match went for me. I am a AAA shooter or lower in the other disciplines too,so that may be where my ability tops out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Congratulations on the match. Often improvements in this game require a lot of time and effort, but regardless of the circumstances it's more fun when the little animals fall over

1 - 16 of 16 Posts