Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud new owner of a '82 model 336.
It already has a good scope but I wanted to replace the original open sights.
Can anyone suggest a good after market open sight and where to get one?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought a Lyman peep sight for my old Marlin 35 Rem. If you have the screw holes on the left rear side near the top of the receiver, you can use a side mount sight. If you want you can use any number of top mount sights like the Williams, etc. Try to get a sight that includes two or more sizes of peeps for target, close in sighting, and distance. You may have to change your front sight as well, after you have installed the rear sight.

you will know after you have shot it and discovered where the bullets are striking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The receiver, or "peep", sight is the best choice by a long shot (pun intended!). More accurate, works better in low light and faster target aquisition to name a few advantages over traditonal open sights. I have a williams 5D economy on mine and it works great. You likely will have to replace the front bead as well. Need to shoot it and see. Tough job, but someone has to do it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I actually want to replace the original sights with something a bit more modern but utilizing the same screw holes. Two screws (front and back on the front blade and the steel tension dove-tail rear sight with sliding block elevation adjustment. Is that an option? Or, where is the best place to just get replacement sights just like the originals?

I need these to be low profile because I will continue to have a scope mount over them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My '73 336A has a folding, open 'buck horn' style rear sight. This will fold down to allow a scope mount.

My '69 336 has a really cheap open sight, not like any I have seen on a Marlin. It does not fold like the others.

Check the gun shows. We have a gentleman that deals in old gun parts at our local shows in Florida. You may find someone like him in your area.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Most shop Brownells.. you also can call marlin for replacements.. on there web site,, use the contact button to get phone number ..

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Atlanta Randy said:
I am the proud new owner of a '82 model 336.
It already has a good scope but I wanted to replace the original open sights.
Can anyone suggest a good after market open sight and where to get one?
Check this one out. Its Williams fiberoptic sights. Looks like they are a direct replacment of the rear and the fron sights.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=354276

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
First, welcome to the asylum...oops, I mean forum.

Second, for what you seem to want to do, I like the Marlin factory sights. Where possible I have kept them on my scoped and my peep sighted Marlins. The rear blade folds down out of the way. It is out of your line of sight with peeps and gives more clearance for the objective bell of a scope.

I sight in for 100 yards with the factory sights and standard factory ammo. Then I fold them out of the way and re-place the scope or peep sight. If I ever need to (never have yet) I can take off a broken scope or peep sight, flip up the factory rear sight and still be good to go out to 100 yds. :)

My two cents: order replacement sights from Marlin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts