Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first Marlin, a 35 Rem from 1955 or there abouts.

You can see where the owner carried it, just ahead of the lever, even his thumb has worn the bluing a bit. I like it the way it looks. Intend to install a good adjustable rear peep sight and light collector front sight. It's been a long time coming but the time is right.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Congratulations! I have a couple of the early A's in .35 and love them! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Henry J. McCann said:
Congratulations! I have a couple of the early A's in .35 and love them! :D
thanks plan to shoot it tomorrow. Along with my first handloads, 110g. Sierra 3006 varminters. Its gonna be a big day!

I was wondering what an early "A" is? And how is the new lever-bolt-action working out? lol.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Welcome to the club, and the forum. The forum can be just as addictive as amassing Marlins! Well, no, not really. But they're both a lot of fun!

Papajohn

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Congratulations! I own several early 336s and, to my mind, a better rifle has never been made.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pisgah is right-these are some great rifles. I hope you use it successfully long enough to wear your own pattern into it.

Mine's a .35 from 1961.

Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dogngun said:
Pisgah is right-these are some great rifles. I hope you use it successfully long enough to wear your own pattern into it.

Mine's a .35 from 1961.

Mark
Mark you got a pic of your best '61? Love to see it. and did you go with a peep sight? I am trying to find info as to best choices for peeps on a hunting 35.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a Williams peep sight around somewhere, but I like the folding semi'buckhorn rear sight from the newer 336's - I bought one from gunparts corp and that's what is on my old 336 SC. They pick up very fast in a field situation, and I can see them easier than the old flat metal rear sights.

I'm very slowly working up to pictures. On some things, I'm still stuck in the 20th or even the 19th century.

Mark

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dogngun said:
I have a Williams peep sight around somewhere, but I like the folding semi'buckhorn rear sight from the newer 336's - I bought one from gunparts corp and that's what is on my old 336 SC. They pick up very fast in a field situation, and I can see them easier than the old flat metal rear sights.
Mark
Shot my 1955 35 Rem for the first time yesterday. Put a big grin on my face.Was wearing a set of foam ear plugs from work (32 decibel reduction) under my 24 decibel earmuffs. Found that the sound is quite different from my 30-06. Makes a big Kafooum sound instead of a crack.

Using 200g. Winchester ammo from the store, it kicked up the dust pretty good. I like the holes as they are a bigger. Easy to see the diff from the Ruger.

It will take a bit of practise to hit anything with it. (I am used to shooting an old 303 Mk. IV.) Maybe when the new peep is solid on the receiver and a new Firesight sight hunkers down on the front of the barrel it might get a bit easier. Tough for me to place rounds in the center of the target when it is completely covered by the front sight..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Father's Son,

At the range, use a 6 o'clock hold. If this distance is where you want to zero, then all your shots should be hitting at the top of the bead or your aiming point (which will be the bottom of the bulls eye.)

The fire sights have a rounded curve at the top of the bead. This makes elevation adjustments less precise If precision is important to you you need to go to a post which is a better index of eleveation. You can get quick acquisition with a post by going to a wider one. .100 to .125 thickness is about right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
scoutman said:
Father's Son,

At the range, use a 6 o'clock hold. If this distance is where you want to zero, then all your shots should be hitting at the top of the bead or your aiming point (which will be the bottom of the bulls eye.)

The fire sights have a rounded curve at the top of the bead. This makes elevation adjustments less precise If precision is important to you you need to go to a post which is a better index of eleveation. You can get quick acquisition with a post by going to a wider one. .100 to .125 thickness is about right.
Got to think this through. Do I want the target to be above the sight, or actually behind the post? Above makes sense to me. And I should look for a flat topped post to make it easier to see clearly above the post. Ok.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I like open sites at 100.. for the bullet to hit where the front bead is at.. but thats me.. some like to have it just above and some like a 6 o:clock hold and hit two inches above.. everyone is different... Scopes I like dead on so I do the irons just about the same ..

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I started out shooting the Marlin open sights with the bead obsuring the target and then read (probably here) that it was better to go with the 6 o'clock hold. My groups improved imediately.

My eyes are at the end of their open sights days but I still like em for hunting and the aesthetic is pleasing, but I did scout up my 336 with a Williams & a Leupold and I must admit, it looks pretty good too.

The peep sight required a taller front sight than the one pictured.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I like my iron-sighted guns to hit dead on the top of the bead at 100 yards. This allows the target to remain largely unobstructed, and still allows for a dead-on hold out to 150 or so.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wet Dog said:
I started out shooting the Marlin open sights with the bead obsuring the target and then read (probably here) that it was better to go with the 6 o'clock hold. My groups improved imediately.

My eyes are at the end of their open sights days but I still like em for hunting and the aesthetic is pleasing, but I did scout up my 336 with a Williams & a Leupold and I must admit, it looks pretty good too.

The peep sight required a taller front sight than the one pictured.
Sounds like a matter of taste as to whether to stoot at/ or below your target. I think I will try shooting below for a while, and see if my groups improve. Do you find your eyes can see better through a peep sight or open sights?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Using a Williams 5D and FireSight on my 35 Rem. I am working on a sight setting and load that will allow the following:

POI is at the top of the bead at 100 yds.

From there I will shoot targets at greater ranges to see when the POI is at the bottom of the bead. That will be my self-imposed point-blank-range.

In other words, I want to be able to slap the red bead on the heart/lung area of a deer and let fly up to the point where the bullet has dropped to the bottom of the bead.

We'll see if that works or not.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Father'sSon said:
Do you find your eyes can see better through a peep sight or open sights?
The peep sights are much easier for me to produce good groups with. I find that now my eyes tire more quickly using the open sights. I must rest them between shots to be consistent. With the Peep sight I can shoot a group without taking the sights off the target.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts