Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. New here. I'm really excited to have a Marlin 336C but since it's the first gun i've owned, and I'm completely new to Marlin, I was hoping I could get some help.

I did use the search tool and because of the wealth of information you guys have here, I did find lots of relevant content (Thank you! I read it all!) However, i'm having trouble welding the various pieces of information together to form a cohesive understanding. Please excuse my ignorance - I guess we all start out the same way, not knowing anything.

Serial Numbers: From what I gather "MR" in front of the serial number denotes a Remington made Marlin 336. Since mine is brand new as of I assume it is a Remington Made gun (It has an "MR" and ends in an "A". ).

Question: Can anyone tell me a little more about the origins of my rifle (S/N MR124xxA)? Are there common defects or areas of shoty workmanship I should look out for since I have a "Marlington"? Also my serial number is on the side of the receiver - does this mean anything?

Sights/Rails/Scope: The top of my receiver has screws in which to mount a scope/rail. On the barrel itself is the rear iron sight. I've seen pictures of Marlins on this forum that show a scope mounted, what looks like to be on the barrel and not as far back as being mounted on the top of the receiver.

QuestionDoes removing the stock rear sight require the gun to go to a gunsmith? I don't see any screws but I really like the idea of doing a scout set-up and having the scope more forward on the gun then ontop of the receiver. Also,The current iron sights are a very very stiff and almost impossible to adjust by hand. Any tips on the stock irons that I might be missing? I'm really struggling with it.

Lever Action is Rough: The action on my rifle is rough. I'm comparing it to a new Winchester 94 lever action rifle (I guess the Winchester version of the exact same gun). The Winchester's lever action was super light and didnt have any spots where they lever "clicked". My Marlin has a few spots where it takes a tad extra effort such as when first opening the action and at full close. Both spots require extra effort to "click" the lever into place. The winchester didnt seem to have too much emphasis on these areas. Also in the middle of the action, there are a few spots that take more effort. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it just wasnt as consistent of an action as the winchester's.

Question Is there something I can do, while not at the shooting range to fix this? Is it simply a break in issue? My gun is brand new - Do I need to clean it or does it come clean?

Thanks again ahead of time. Really appreciate the wealth of knowledge this forum seems to have.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi, Congrats and welcome to MO from Westminster, CO!

I can answer a couple of those questions but not all (only been here a few months).

You have a Remington produced Marlin, and as far as workmanship goes, check the fit of the wood to the action, look for gaps and inconsistencies.

The scope issue is mixed for me. I believe the rear sight will fold down and get out of the way enough for most setups, but as far as removing, I do not have the slightest. :p

The rough action could just need to be broken in (my 336w was a little rough and the more i worked it the better it got, and its pretty good now) and as far as any fixes for that other than going out and shooting it till your heart is content I will have to defer to my brethren (and sisterhood?).

Again, welcome to the site and be careful, because there is no known cure for marlinitis.

Steven

·
Registered
846 Posts
Ya it's a Remington and the fact that the action is stiff, so are and some aren't they will break in and when You get more comfortable with the gun a good cleaning is advised, the workings of the Marlin are really pretty simple but I would search this site thoroughly and especially the gunsmithing site and start slow and get comfortable whit the workings of the gun, that's what I did. there are a lot of real good information and smart people here that will help You here and point You in the right direction. Welcome aboard. Dennis

·
Registered
361 Posts
Forgot to say that, yes clean the rifle first off, it has various deposits from being built and test fired.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
First off, welcome to MO's......

The rear sight is in a dovetail on the barrel. Always tap the sight out to the right for removal and back in towards the left for installation.
(Right side = as you look down your line of sights) The reason for this is the right side of the dovetail is a tad wider at the opening. Also place a business card under the sight itself so it doesn't scratch the barrel and use a wood drift or dowel when tapping it out......go easy!

If you are going to go with a scout scope the XS scout mount uses the dovetail and front 2 scope mount screws on top of the reciever for mounting.

Keep jacking the action over and over to break it in. Do it while sitting in front of the TV or whenever you have free time......

Good luck with your new rifle and be sure to let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
994 Posts
There is a plunger located in the top of the lever that controls how hard the lever is to open that snaps over a pin in front of the trigger.With the action facing you open the lever and you will see the plunger on top of the lever and the pin in front of the trigger.The more straight up and down the plunger is in relation to the top of the lever where locks over the pin the harder it is to open.File the plunger to a flatter angle where it goes over the pin.Take a few strokes and check its function until it opens easy.Remember a little at a time as you cant put metal back.Hope this helps I did mine in a few minutes and world of difference.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Welcome to MO and congrats on your rifle.

It is a Remington made rifle and should have REP stamped in the right side of the barrel near the receiver. Don't get hung up on quality issues. Just treat your gun like an individual and if all goes well then it is nothing to concern yourself with. :)

Search the sight for peep sight and scout scope, you will discover a ton of information relevant to your questions. Lots and lots of folks go with traditional mounted scopes as well and there is surely nothing wrong with that if it works for you. I prefer peep sights and put them on all my rifles. The one scoped gun I currently have wears a scout scope configuration like you mentioned. It is a controversial setup and you one you either like or don't like. I like it for the purposes I use it.

Clean the gun! They seem to be coming out of the factory dirtier than I've ever seen before. In the Gunsmithing section you will find a sticky thread on disassembly of the 1895 rifle. It is an excellent thread and for the most part, your gun will be the same. You won't have the "bump" in the magazine tube to worry about and you will need to deal with forearm bands rather than an end cap but the guts are the same. That said, it is perfectly understandable if you'd rather not tackle a full tear down right away and doing a good thorough cleaning with just the lever, bolt, and ejector out will help a whole lot. Oh and I always strongly encourage the use of hollow ground screwdrivers rather than standard mechanics drivers. Grace Gun Tools are excellent and if you email them about a Marlin specific set they will tell you how to order them. It is money very well spent!

I wouldn't do much more than clean, lightly lube and repeatedly cycle the action for a while. As said, get to know the gun and give it a chance to break in before you go rooting around in there with sandpaper. ;)

And since this is your first gun, you may find these threads of interest:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,37044.0.html

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,60482.0.html

And never hesitate to ask questions. MO folks are always glad to help. Abusing the search function as you have found will also reveal and treasure chest of information on just about any topic you can imagine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts