Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Production 1894 Questions

Hello All,

I am a new member but have been a visitor to MarlinOwner forum for years. I have used information and resources found on this site to trouble shoot and smooth out issues that I had on a "Remlin" 336, which I am happy to say runs great now. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge that I have found on this site.

I recently purchased a Marlin 1894 in .44mag. Even though I had trouble in the past with "Remington" Marlins I decided to purchase a new production rifle anyway knowing that more than likely it would require some work.

The first problem I had was with extracting and ejecting rounds. It seamed that the extractor was not holding onto the rim long enough for the case to make contact with the ejector and the round would fall onto the carrier causing a jam. This would happen with live rounds, snap caps and spent cases. It started initially as an occasional weak ejection and progressed to the point where no rounds would be ejected at all. It made no difference in how fast or slow I worked the action, the round could only be removed by turning the rifle on its side and shaking it out.

I did some research and found a great resource from this site that lead me to:Marlin Extractor Modifications by Widder. I was able to remove the extractor and put a slight bend in it. I'm happy to say that it now extracts and ejects well.

Now, for my question.

In searching for information to help with my extractor issues I happened upon a fix to prevent the "Marlin Jam" Marlin94Fix. Hoping to prevent a future problem I pulled out my lever and compared it to the pics in the above link.

It appears that the lever I have is not the same as the one pictured. This leads me to believe that Marlin has made changes in the design to prevent the cam on the lever from cutting into the carrier. However, I am not certain that this is truly the case. Does anyone know if Marlin has redesigned the Lever on new production 1894's? If so, is this enough to prevent future "Marlin Jam" from occurring?

image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you've joined us! Some of the experts will be along shortly to answer your question! John

·
Registered
567 Posts
Howdy Amaya.

First, I'm glad the Extractor modification has helped you.

Personally, I haven't heard of any changes in the lever for the 1894. I recently fitted a new lever into an 1894 and it was the same type lever that I've always seen in the 1894's.

BUT, with you having a new Remington made Marlin, its possible that Remington has changed the design somewhat.

I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open for information on this.

Hopefully, TOMRAY might see this post and chime in with some good, up to date info.

..........Widder

1 - 5 of 5 Posts