Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first post to any list so please be kind. I recently purhased a mod. 336, 35 cal. The prefix on the serial # tills me it is
a 1954. The gun is in overall good shape, wood is really good, metal/
blueing is good but has some very minor surface rust. The gun has
redfield peep sights, the front sight is a post/blade with a square bead.
The rear sight has no insert, is big like a "ghost" sight. The action is slick like butter and is nice and tight. I have two questions but would appreciate any information from this very knowledgable group.

1. What is the best way to get rid of the minor surface rust.
2. Is this barrel microgroove or ballard rifleing , nothing on barrel to say
what it is.
Sorry for the long winded post, this gun belonged to a dear friend of mine
who is gone now, but taught me most of what I know in the woods so is
very special to me.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If your 336 was made in '54, and does not say "Microgroove" on the barrel, there is a good chance it is the deeper Ballard type rifling. Mine was made in '58, and the "Microgroove" is in plain sight on the side of the barrel near the rear sight blank.

Depending on how light the surface rust is, you may be able to take some 4x steel wool and light lubrication to "buff off" the rust with no ill effects on the surrouding finish.

Check the inside of the "ghost" ring. If there are treads, it may be that you can get some inserts from Williams or a gun show, to tighten up the apperture for target shooting.

Congrats on the .35 - is it an RC or SC designation?

You are really going to love shooting it!

Good luck!

·
Registered
688 Posts
First, I have to congratulate you on having a friend like that and then on having his rifle and realizing its importance.

Second, I agree on using 0000 steel wool with a lubricant (some prefer gun oil others prefer WD-40) to buff away the rust. Use an old rag to wipe it down and don't do it near your wife's good clothes! (don't ask!!) :wink:

You can get an aperture from just about any dealer and if the hole is too small, you can drill it out a bit at a time until it suits you.

Every Microgroove barrel I've seen has advertised the fact. Look inside, many shallow grooves (12 I think) then Microgroove, otherwise it is just plain rifling (now referred to as "Ballard" with reference to Marlins). Shouldn't really matter when it comes to actual performance.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Use an old rag to wipe it down and don't do it near your wife's good clothes! (don't ask!!)
Hobie, is that like anything like cleaning fish in the living room so ya wont miss the game?.....Hell, I vacuumed after :roll:

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Like the guys said, 0000 steelwool and gun oil or wd-40. I had a friend that left his red label in a case and it got some surface rust. I brought it home and worked it over with the steelwool and it looked real good afterwards. He couldnt believe it.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Micro-Groove barrels didn't start in the centerfire Marlins until 1956. Your's should be a Ballard rifled gun.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
SB,

Congratulations on having such a good friend. My "friend" was my grandfather. He left me no guns but taught me everything I needed to know about stillhunting.

And welcome to the 35 Rem. fraternity.

I have aperture inserts for my peep sights but never use them hunting. In fact I usually don't use them at the range. But the guys are right, you can get them from Williams Gun Sight Co., gun shows, and maybe out of shoebox of misc. parts from your local gun repair guy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
new old mod.336 35

Genlemen, thanks all for the information. The gun is a 336rc. It does
have the ballard rifleing. Does anyone have any load preferences they
could share ? I reload for everything but have not tried hardcast lead
at rifle velocities or any 35 rem other than remington factory, 200 gr
soft point. I own two other lever actions, a marlin 94, 44cal cowboy and
the 45/70 cowboy. Also shoot a 38/55 highwall , breach seated target
rifle. Again, thanks for any load information / bullet performance on game.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Congrads on your rifle. While I regret the event of your friend's death you have one of the greatest mementos a person could have. Keep it, cherrish it and have fun with it. Let us know how it shoots.

I just love those old RCs, but it didn't occur to me that the RC model was made with Ballard rifling though it is a reasonable assumption. The RC was manufactured between 1948 and 1967 and Ballard rifling was the order of the day from 1950 to 1954, depending on the model... so that means that I don't have a RC Ballard model and I need one.

Steve, is your RC drilled and tapped for a scope? Is it a striaght or pistol grip?

SS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts