Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this beauty up. it is a large #12 vintage unmarked Dutch oven. it is larger than it looks in the photos and maybe 20lbs or so. I a member of the CI forum. I have put it on there for information, I am thing it was made by Vollrath or maybe BSR in the 40s-50s if anyone here knows please tell me,
Organism Rock Metal
Product Tea strainer
anyway it is a beauty and when the weather cools of I will be cooking a catfish stew in it around my birth day in sept. ALL of you are invited! Metal Antique

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Old Lodge is good. New Lodge is bad. Rough as a cob inside. I use old cast iron myself almost exclusively.

Does it have a notch in the heat ring? The old Lodge had one notch and 3 notch etc. They changed thru the years for ID. I'm on the CI Collectors forum as well.

·
Premium Member
10,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no I think only the old lodge skillets had the notch's. Black White Black-and-white Monochrome Monochrome photography
Room Log cabin House Wood Interior design
Metal Dutch oven
Circle Metal Wood
here is some of my other CI I use it exclusively to. the Dutch oven with the gate mark on the lid was 1899 or older. I just got through cooking a beef stew for supper in it,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I just picked this beauty up. it is a large #12 vintage unmarked Dutch oven. it is larger than it looks in the photos and maybe 20lbs or so. I a member of the CI forum. I have put it on there for information, I am thing it was made by Vollrath or maybe BSR in the 40s-50s if anyone here knows please tell me, View attachment 722580 View attachment 722582 View attachment 722584 anyway it is a beauty and when the weather cools of I will be cooking a catfish stew in it around my birth day in sept. ALL of you are invited! View attachment 722586
If it wasn't a twelve hour drive it would be nice to be there.

·
Registered
13,656 Posts
Old Lodge is good. New Lodge is bad. Rough as a cob inside. I use old cast iron myself almost exclusively.

Does it have a notch in the heat ring? The old Lodge had one notch and 3 notch etc. They changed thru the years for ID. I'm on the CI Collectors forum as well.
I agree, the old Lodge pans and dutch ovens are best. I found two Lodge CI skillets at a swap n shop last year. . . $3.00 each. I cleaned em up and seasoned em. I don't know how old they are, but the inside isn't rough, like the new Lodge skillets. I use em all the time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.