Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
brand new member, with a brand new (to me) marlin 336xlr. very curious about this gun. it is mint, has never been fired, and has a serial starting with "92". according to the internet mavens, that means it was made in '08. i contacted marlin/remington, and they said it was made in '09. it has the "jm" barrel stamp, and the roll stamp indicates it was made in connecticut. i do not want to fire this thing until i know whether or not it has any collector's value. what say ye, o wise and knowledgable ones?

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
There is some collector value in all pre-Remington rifles, but not the same as a rare custom ordered deluxe 1893 in pristine condition. You have a fine rifle meant to be cared for and used. It is not of limited production, special features, or exceptional performance other than being a well made rifle designed for a bit more performance than a standard configuration model.

Enjoy it by experiencing it's feel, accuracy, and prowess on the target field and in the hunting fields.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
As far as I know firing it and caring for it shouldn't hurt it's value. It's a new enough gun that you'd have to keep it unfired for decades to really gain any significant value over one that was used and well cared for. I'd enjoy it myself.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello Crankenstein, and welcome to MO from the high plains of Colorado. Good advice from marlinman93, Unless a rifle is a special run or documented as a collectible like the last one made
at the old Marlin plant go ahead and shoot it.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Shoot'em!

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Keep us posted on how she shoots. Pictures would be nice too! :biggrin: And welcome to MarlinOwners!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts