Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my new mold from Accurate Molds foe my 45/70 1895,spent yesterday melting down a bunch of old bullets and started casting,it is supposed to cast 440,but cast 431.5 with gas check,which is fine as they are 23 hardness and cast at .461,loaded them un sized.Had 5 loadings that started out with 44.0to 46.0 in half grain increments with H4198,Winchester Brass and Fed.215 mag. primers.44.o went through the crony at a 3 shot average of 1846fps,3" groups,44.5 went 1860fps,21/2" groups,45.0 went1868fps,with 21/2" groups 45.5 went 1878fps with 13/4" groups and 46.0 went 1920 with 1" group all at 100 yds with open sights and shooting glasses with a small circle of black tape with a pin hole stuck on the glasses as I cold see the target nice and crisp with my 67 year old eyes,RECOIL well I had 2 recoil mag shields on and was very manageable,no pain and no bruses,there was no leading and I was very pleased with the results.Pete P1010716.JPG

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
I'm curious, and admittedly ignorant, of the finer details of lubing bullets. To date I had understood lubing was done in a sizing die or tumbling with alox, or perhaps dipping, Rach Dog has a page on dipping, how do you go about it?

I have stepped over to cast bullets in most of my handguns and lever guns, and to date purchase from several different manufacturers, not yet comfortable with taking the step of casting my own. I like the looks of the bullet you are using, it appears to be a bone crusher deluxe, and with that meplat, I would imagine it produces an impressive wound channel.

Thanks for the article, it adds more to the meager store of knowledge between my ears.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is from Tom at Accurate molds,he does a great jobmakes it the way you want,was 110.00 for mold and shipping about 3 weeks in all to get.I use beese wax and lee's liqid alox,1bottle of alox to 2#'s wax,melt on the stove and add alox,then rub into groves and push through a round stencil ,puts just enough on and wipes extra off,stays soft. I have found recovered cast bullets with hard lube still in groves proving it did not do it's job,Pete

·
Premium Member
17,013 Posts
Hey Pete,

Think you have that bullet "dialed" in.

Congratulations!

Later, Mark

Reactions: hard head

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Those are some good looking rounds . Keep up the good work and let us know how they shoot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts