Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a new model 39 .22lr but I have seen some very bad reviews and I am a bit leery to order one. It seems the older ones were OK. Was there just a bad run on them or are they all suspect now that Remington has taken over? I really want one but I don't want to commit unless I know I can get a good product. Good used ones are hard to find.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don't think there's a carved in stone answer to that question, Billy.

The last guns made by Marlin at the old factory seemed to have more than an acceptable amount of problems, but some good ones have been reported.

The new rifles are just beginning to trickle out from the new factory, and there have been mixed reports on the few we've seen. It appears that some rifles have been assembled with the remnants of the old factory, and may show the same problems associated with the last of those rifles.

All we can really do at this point is hope that the proud name of Marlin will be respected and good rifles will be produced.

As far as ordering one at this point in time... There's only one answer and it's a question:

How bad do you want it?

·
Registered
593 Posts
BillyHill said:
I want to buy a new model 39 .22lr but I have seen some very bad reviews and I am a bit leery to order one. It seems the older ones were OK. Was there just a bad run on them or are they all suspect now that Remington has taken over? I really want one but I don't want to commit unless I know I can get a good product. Good used ones are hard to find.
I don't think any of the 39A have come from Remington yet so the problems being seen in the new ones (last 3-4years) can not be blamed on Rem. It was a Marlin problem when they started changing things that didn't need changing like the cross bolt safet, the rebounding hammer, the paper clip they call an ejector, etc. Get an older one, 10 to 40 years old and you will have a fine rifle.

·
Premium Member
14,150 Posts
I second what rhendrix said. I bought a 1964 model and I can shoot dime size groups at 50 yards. As long as it wasn't abused to mush, which mine wasn't.
I can probably get another 60 years out of it with out much problem.

·
Registered
832 Posts
In my opinion, the 39a is getting a bad rap. The rebound hammer and cross bolt safety were added in 1988. The spring extractor came out before 1973. You heard very few problems until around 2004 or 2005. At that, time there was a run of pour quality spring extractors and light hammer springs. I feel for the people that have had problems and the quality control seemed to suffer at the end of production in Conn. I also think there is a silent majority out there that has had no problem with their guns. The internet magnifies any problem as many read about one problem where 30 years ago only your friends heard about your problem.

My point is we have had spring extractors for almost 40 years and the rebound hammer cross bolt hammer for almost 25 years. I love my old 39A’s but I also love my new ones just as much. There have to be several hundred thousand 39A’s out there with these "new" features. I think a lot of the buy old is just repeating what we have read on the internet.

At this time, it seems to be hard to find a new 39A. The production move to Ilion NY is complete but I have seen no reports of new Ilion 39A’s. You can tell an Ilion by a REP proof mark on the right side of the barrel. If there is a JM on the left side, it is a Conn. Marlin.

If you find an Ilion 39A let us know. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Marlin 336/30AS is my favourite rifle ever. I was hoping to see some good reviews of the newer model 39A but ALL the reviews I saw were negative. In addition, the guy I get most of my guns through said there wasn't a new 39A to be found. Older 39's (in Canada) are selling for as much as, or in some cases more than the new ones. I had an Erma .22 which was almost identical to the new Henrys and was amazingly accurate. I ordered a new Henry Frontier with an octagon barrel toady. I want a reliable .22 with no problems and I didn't want to wait 3 months or more to get one.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have two new model 39As. They both look great and function fine. They have no proof mark on the barrel. There is neither a JM or REP. The wood is beautiful and the guns are simply a work of art. They came out of the new plant in January 2011, so they were probably made at the old plant. I am very happy that I managed to get my hands on these guns as they are hard to find, especially up here in Canada. I have also purchased two new model 336C with the JM mark (both 91 serial numbers) and I am quite happy with those as well. The old Marlin plant produced some beautiful riifles right up to last day!!

·
Premium Member
10,963 Posts
Look around for an older 39.....(Pre-Rebounding Hammer)...........You may have to pay "new gun prices", but I think you'll get a better rifle.

IMO,
All the problems in the recent ones arose from trying to get that "rebounder" to work right, and then trying to cut costs, to make the rifle more competitive in the rimfire market.........

Tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
my 39A is a few years old now, bought new. I took it back under warranty, from memory it would soft strike the rims and misfire or was it not feed longs from the mag. cant remember. anyway got it fixed but i was very disapointed at the time as it is a $900 gun here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2000 39AS that I bought about 3 weeks ago. This rifle didn't have a mark on it. I think someone bought it and stuck it in their safe and forgot it.
I had failure to extract problems with Federal bulk ammo at first. It shot everything else ok. I did a through cleaning and filed some burrs from the inside of the receiver. The gun was difficult to reassemble so I had to tighten the take down screw more than I wanted too. After tightening enough to make a flush fit I loosened the screw and re-tightened finger tight. I also followed the suggestion by Jake and tightened the guide spring screw a little bit.
Went back to the range and the gun now shoots and extracts everything. A lot of good information on this site.

·
Registered
26 Posts
BillyHill,

Check out gunbroker. I've got my 2009 39A that functions flawlessley on there (I put 2000 rounds through it last year). Item # 226585526.

I've also got a Skinner rear sight for it that I'd sell.

dstates

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tend to agree with stubbfarmer,seems the S&W revolvers with the IL received some bad reviews,I bought one anyway never had any problems in the three years that I've owned it.Shoot nothing but reloads,near max 158grn sjrn.Now onto a new Marlin 39A.Ihave the opportunity to buy a 39A new design mfg in 2009 that was bought this year by an individual who was disatisfied with it (FTF FTE )he had it sent back to Marlin by his FFL dealer,who in the interim gave him a replacement 39A NC.I am negociation with the said FFL dealer to buy this repaired 39A for $350.00/$375.00 It is stamped New Haven ,and has a M stamped on the left side of bbl.Deal or no Deal?.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
^ If it's repaired and works..........deal. 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts