Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning to you all. I have just been given a very nice rifle and wanted to tell the story. The Marlin is a 1953 336 SC 30-30 K. My Dad bought the rifle new in Cuba while in the Navy. He brought it home and then placed in our gun chest. As a boy, I loved that rifle. It seemed that every Western film had a lever action rifle just like ours. Anyway, the rifle moved from the chest to a closet and sat rather peacefully for many years. Last year, I decided to take my old Springfield Trapdoor home from Dad's to see if I could restore the gun and there sat the Marlin 336. I had completely forgotten about the rifle and so had Dad, so I brought that home as well. I cleaned it up to seemingly brand new condition and fired off about 8 shots down range. The rifle is remarkably accurate and incredibly clean. In fact Dad brought to the range on our next visit the original box of ammo he bought in Cuba, it turns out that the rifle had only been fired 6 times prior to my having cleaned it up. Go figure!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Sounds like you have a great rifle for sure..

G

·
Congrats, I have SC's in alll three calibers that were made from 50-52 . They all are fun to shoot . I was shooting my 35 with a peep sight and cast bullets at 500 meters a couple years ago . And actually hit a few of the steel rams .

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
SellScottSell,

Great little story! Of course you know your 336 is Ballard rifled and even though it's a matter of opinion a lot of people feel they are better. I sure can concur with you and 6ptsika on how well they shoot. Surprised the heck out of me that's for sure. Now I want one in .35 Remington also with Ballard rifling, keeping my eye out.

Enjoy you rifle and memories and time with your dad!

Geoff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts