Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Marlin 336 in 30-30 from Cabela's in Dundee for $200. When I went to pay for it, the clerk was irritated, indicating that somebody had mismarked the rifle's price. The fellow appeared to me to be in charge of the rare (or at least high-priced) gun room and therefore I presumed he must know a little bit. I asked him what was wrong with the price but he would not tell me. Nevertheless, he sold me the 336 at the tagged price. Can any of you experienced fellows tell me anything about my new rifle?

From the serial number, 69 77362, it appears to have been made in 1969, having the circleJM stamp on the barrel, a quarter-size brass medallion* inset on the right hand side of the butt stock, "Microgroove barrel" with New Haven manufacture on the barrel stamp and a gold trigger. Can anyone here tell me anything about this rifle and perhaps illuminate the Cabela's manager's issue with the marked price of $200? From what I have been able to read here, I am guessing that whoever marked the price mistook my rifle for a much newer "Remlin."

I am not intending to sell my new Marlin, but it would be nice to have a clue as to its true value and/or pedigree. For example, I note that many model designations referenced here have the 336 numerals followed by one or two letters. The barrel stamp on mine has no letters following 336; however, I have no idea what the letters mean when they are present.

*The medallion depicts a mounted cowboy with the date 1870.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...Is the butt stock straight or pistol grip? Either way 2 bills for an old Marlin is a great price...

·
Registered
8,306 Posts

So it's not a Texan but still a good deal.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Centennial Edition:questionmark:
Super good deal ya got!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
1970 was the 100th anniversery of Marlin, every 336 rifle produced that year had that medallion in the stock. The receiver may have been produced in 69, but not completed and stocked til 70. It doesn't really add much, if any to value, cuz so many were made. However, a lot of sellers price rifles as if it adds a lot of value. I suspect this Cabela's guy intended to play that angle. A very good to excellent rifle, depending on local market, are priced somewhere between 300 to 450 dollars, maybe more. Likely, somebody did miss price it, buts that's why we shop carefully. Good job, on a nice rifle.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! You probably bought that rifle (if in good shape) for about half what it would sell for around here! Now so we can grant you all the benefits of FULL forum membership, you need to post a picture of that great Marlin:biggrin: John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems to be in pretty good shape, but I need to figure out how to post photos here, so I will give that a try since you ask politely, Pilgrim.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Picture or it didn't happen! Sorry, had to do it! You definitely got a great deal!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Been looking at Marlins for a while now(MARLINITIS). It's almost as if the medallion detracts from the value(price wise), although I don't see why it should. But you DID get a steal at 2 bills. As folks have said, they are being bought and sold every day for twice that and more.

Congrats on your new Marlin, and as we use to say once someone got a fish on they're line, "Bring him on in here and lets get a look at that hog".

Good Huntin'
Mop

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Pictures look good. Mighty fine!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I have learned that it is not a "Texan," whatever that might be. It also appears to be a centennial model as signified by the butt stock medallion. Does anybody know about letters in model designation? Would a "Texan" be designated 336T?

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,014 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts