Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just discovered this forum and thought this would be the place to get some info on my Marlin 39A. I was given this gun years ago by a close friend who has since passed away and I have had it and loved it for quite a few years now.It is in really fine condition and is a K156xx serial number. It is getting to the point though that I would really like a scope on it and would like a 1” scope and I have no idea how to mount one. This rifle is around mid fifties and has four holes drilled in the barrel ( two of them are a little higher) for a side mount with the 3/4” scope I think that were sold by Sears at the time. Is there an easy way to mount a really nice scope on this using the side mount holes or does it have to be drilled. I have seen a few mounts on eBay that look right, but of course they were for the old school scopes that were 3 /4”. I would love to find a mount to fit those holes, take rings for a 1” scope and be centered. Thanks for any info you can give me.

·
Super Moderator
17,805 Posts
Welcome from Alabama... K = 1953... I don't remember what the top of the receiver on that rifle looks like... But, I have seen scopes mounted on the top of the receiver on that period rifle... Someone with more knowledge of that year will be along...

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A question... Is it a straight stock or pistol grip stock?
I would say it’s the pistol grip stock as it curves down and the lever is slightly curved. Almost directly below the rear sight on the left side of the barrel ar four screws and I have seen others with side mounted scopes there. On the receiver top is simply one hole which I know is nothing to do with mounting a scope.

·
Super Moderator
17,805 Posts
Is there a corresponding screw hole on the top of the barrel between the rear sight and the receiver? Where these scope ring mounts are mounted?

Click on the pic to enlarge...

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Shotgun

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I wish I could figure out how to post pics since photobucket went down. There is one screw hole on top about 4 inches behind the rear sight.
I have a '53 39a, K prefix, serial K63XX with the hole you describe. I don't think that was for mounting a scope, it serves another purpose, but I can't remember what right now....LOL Must of made alot of 39a's that year.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The single screw on top holds the cartridge guide in the receiver. The holes on OP's rifle barrel look to be out of line by the picture. The picture is not real clear on my computer. If you are keeping the rifle and need it scoped either find a nice condition 3/4" scope that is clear and put the side mount and scope on with the holes that are there or get it drilled on top for a Weaver base that uses 1" rings and get a quality 1" scope and enjoy your rifle and don't worry about hurting the value. If it was a '53 Mountie then that would maybe change my mind on drilling it. 1953 was the first year for the 24" barrel straight grip Mountie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. Sorry about the not so great pics, iPads don’t take great pics without a lot of light it seems. I am not selling, so having it drilled is probably the way to go. As far as the 4 holes on the side go, I feel they are original as I have heard Sears sold these with a mounted scope and I have seen pics of others with this same pattern. A guy had an original mount for sale a while back on EBay that had that same pattern also.
Are there any recommendations for a mount and scope? I was looking at a Leupold VX-1 and a Nikon Prostaff for a couple, but then have no idea what mounts would fit. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Don’t know about the mount. But that leupold would be a perfect match on that rifle. The Nikon would be a bit too big. I have one on my marlin because my eyes aren’t what they use to be. Keep searching something or someone will come along and help out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. Actually it was given to me about 12 or 14 years ago by a very close friend of mine who was a neighbor at the time. I am attached to it for a lot of reasons including great memories with my dad, so it is with me for the long haul. It is in very nice shape, really not haven been shot much in its life. I really want that Leupold VX-1 scope on it and I just need to find a mount that puts it in the right place. I will have it drilled if I have to though I have been hoping not to alter it. My right eye is weaker and I am finding shot placement more difficult these days with it, and I feel like I will get a lot more enjoyment with a scope. Incredible action on these guns.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.