Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, Justin here.

Found this forum while doing research for my next purchase. Sold off my collection of "fun" firearms to rebuild my collection for hunting. Usually end up borrowing one of my fathers rifles/shotguns whenever we go out, and I decided it was time to get a few firearms that would actually be used in the field rather than the range.

Favorite rifle growing up (and still to this day) is a Remington Model 600 chambered for .308 Winchester. It was my Grandfather's rifle and was passed down. I thought it was a great looking gun (I know critics tend to disagree ha ha), and despite being designed to be a guide rifle, its accuracy was outstanding. Extremely quick to bring to bear, easy to bring though deep/heavy brush, smooth fast action. It has the original plastic trigger guard and barrel vents in perfect condition. The stock is a little worse for wear, with the clear coat peeling, but because of the history in the family we leave it as is, maybe it'll get a new laminated stock someday.

Not sure if it was because of that rifle, but my favorite round is the .308 Winchester. I believe it has a great balance at any range and perfect for the hunting I do. Can't say for certain what made me start looking at lever action rifles, but I of course starting looking for one chambered in .308. This led me to the .308 Marlin Express and .338 Marlin Express.

I liked the data I initially read, and I would be able to easy reload the new round/s on my current reloading setup. This will be my first lever action firearm, and although I have shot quite a few, I have never used one for hunting.

I am looking to find (from what I have read so far) a pre-2008 Marlin chambered in either the .308 or .338 Marlin Express (the 30-06 is a close second favorite of mine). My preferred color combo would be a black receiver/barrel with the pepper colored laminated stock. From what I have seen, I can't get both stock, so either I will have to find a stock, or get the silver receiver coated with Cerakote (also need to see if this would be the best route). It will have a scope, not sure if I want to mount it normally or in a scout configuration yet.

I really like doing my research, and that is the exactly why I am here. To build up more knowledge and learn all the tricks, quirks, and tips you all have to offer. From what I have seen, the lever action community is amazing with the Marlin community standing out in particular. I look forward to learning and once I find my perfect rifle, sharing my experiences and tips as well!

So to what is to come:beerglass:! Thank you all for your time!

Justin

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee!
There is, as you say, the .308 ME, but I don't think Marlin ever made a lever gun in 308 Winchester.
Browning, of course, makes one, and Savage (99), but Henry just came out with one they call the Long Ranger.
But what the heck do I know.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from The Republic of Texas...

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Super Moderator
17,411 Posts
Welcome from Alabama... I have a 2008 308MX and I, and a few of the bolt action guys at the range can attest to the distance and accuracy of the MX. I was at the range Sunday and they were ribbing me about shooting a levergun on the 300 yd range... I went through a full box of Hornady 160gr and hit a 6" dinger at 300 yds 20 out of 20 times... It has a Redfield Revolution 3 x 9 x 40...

What part of NorCal you from... I was born out thataway...

String instrument Shooting sport Musical instrument Recreation Shooting

·
Premium Member
11,264 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from Western,Pa.

·
Super Moderator
35,978 Posts
Welcome to the forums from south Louisiana.

cajun56

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Howdy from SouthEast Alaska!

·
Super Moderator
16,071 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Premium Member
16,062 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners,
A great place for friends to gather around the campfire and visit

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hello nieb15 and welcome to the forum from NE Indiana!!!! Enjoy!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts