Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am interested in a 22 mag for nighttime predator hunting, and in Michigan we are limited to rimfire by night. I prefer .223 by day, so this is just for range enjoyment and nighttime only. I noticed that many enjoy Marlins for their out of the box accuracy.

I am leaning towards the Marlin 982VS and would like your thoughts on several things:

1. Will it change the accuracy if I order a laminated wood stock from Marlin to replace the plastic stock?
2. Would you lean more towards the 882SSV model or the current model?
3. Can the triggers be tuned or replaced by a gunsmith?
4. Do the bolts remove from the action?
5. Which ammo would you start with on these guns?
6. Do they need to be broken in with cheap or premium ammo?
7. How many rounds breaks them in?
thanks,
Shannon

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
1: I would just purchase the laminated model..

2: Either Model is good to go ..

3: Rifle Basix triggers are what most use.. I have no idea about the new model

4: yes.. by just holding the trigger back you can remove the bolt..

5: I use CCI solids and HPs found they work best.. Rem v max is good to but shoots to different poi and and I didn't want to just use it all the time..

6: NO.. clean it shoot it.

7: Mine tightened up real nice after about the first 50 rds I would say or less even..

I have the basic 25mn.. nothing fancy ..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gj and I have the same model 25mn Mine shoots winchester 40gr hp's nice and tight also likes ww 33gr supremes stick with less expensive ammo for brreak in excluding dynapoints (too dirty) I d break in by shooting and clean sa you would a centerfire. This isn't the old inaccurate 22 mag of the past They will shoot and are one of the best rimfires for stuff up to and including song dogs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Shanipaqman:

I have the Marlin 882L which is the laminated stock/blued version. This rifle shoots very well - sub MOA @ 50 -70 yards. It happens to shoot the CCI 40 grain JHP and FMJ the best of all the ammo I've tried but likes Winchester 34 grain HP Supremes and Super X JSP's (40gr's). The bolt can be removed and my rifle is still breaking in with several hundred rounds through it. I mean for the trigger that is. You can have a smith work your trigger or you can if you know what you're doing, or put in a rifle basix trigger or just let the trigger break in, as I'm doing. All Marlins I have ever bought have been really good for accuracy right out of the box. Whatever you get, if it's a Marlin, you'll probably be very happy with it. By the way, I have a Simmons 3x9x32 .22 Mag scope on mine and it really works well.

GOOD SHOOTING! :)

Range Finder

1 - 4 of 4 Posts