·
Registered
Marlin 336A .35, Marlin A1C .22LR
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome again!

Thanks for the pictures!

ca'jun56
You're Welcome!...the gun is in surprisingly good shape for being manufactured in 1936. The finish is pitted somewhat and could definitely use some rebluing. I can't get the action to stay open, is this normal? Makes it hard to clean inside the receiver with action closed.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Hello Chris and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!!! Nice rifle!!!

Reactions: DJCee73

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Welcome aboard from New Hampshire.
Nice looking rifle, congrats!

·
Premium Member
14,154 Posts
Well it is not an A1E, or A1, they were made from 1936-40 and they had metal trigger guards. In 1941, 1945-47 A1DL, and A1C had plastic trigger guards. The A1E and A1DL, also came with sling swivels. The A1, and A1C did not. So if yours doesn't have holes, were they would of been mounted. Yours is a A1C, that someone put the rear peep sight on.
As to when it was made. The 1941, 1945,46 catalogs all show both models with a little different stock design. In 1947 the A1C, and A1DL are not pictured in the catalog, but it is still lists them in the price sheet. So I would guess that yours was made in 1947.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it is not an A1E, or A1, they were made from 1936-40 and they had metal trigger guards. In 1941, 1945-47 A1DL, and A1C had plastic trigger guards. The A1E and A1DL, also came with sling swivels. The A1, and A1C did not. So if yours doesn't have holes, were they would of been mounted. Yours is a A1C, that someone put the rear peep sight on.
As to when it was made. The 1941, 1945,46 catalogs all show both models with a little different stock design. In 1947 the A1C, and A1DL are not pictured in the catalog, but it is still lists them in the price sheet. So I would guess that yours was made in 1947.

The Model A1 was modified in 1941, though production stopped near the end of 1941 (as Marlin was primarily making weapons for the US military during World War 2), and did not pick up again until late 1945 and continuing until late 1946. Modifications included moving the safety again – it was now a radial safety on the right rear side of the receiver (WHICH IS THE SAFETY THAT IS ON MY GUN). The trigger guard of this modified version was made of plastic, (SAME AS MY GUN) and the stock was re-shaped, with a deeper pistol grip wrist and a rounded fore-end. Other variants included the Model A1E (built from 1936-41 and 1945-46), with a simple adjustable aperture rear sight; The Model A1E (built in 1941 and from 1945-46), with a different stock that had a fluted comb and a beavertail fore-end, as well as the aperture rear sight. and the A1DL, which had both an aperture rear sight and a target-type peep sight, as well as sling swivels fitted as standard. All of these variants of the Model A1 are identical to the standard Model A1 for game purposes."

·
Premium Member
14,154 Posts
Not sure we're your information came from, but the 1941 catalog, and the earliest 1941 price sheet that I have which is May.
Have the A1DL, not the A1E. Also shows the A1DL up to Nov. of 1941. There was no 42-44 catalogs, because of the war.

Brophy also states that the A1E was only made from 1936-40.

·
Super Moderator
15,893 Posts
Welcome again to marlinowners.com from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "The Original 444 Marlin®" Country! Hooaaahhhh!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had the A1C out today to shoot it for the first time since buying it from auction. Shoots really well, however, it jams on the last shot. First time I put 5 shells in fired 4 no problem 5th and last shell jammed. Second time put 3 shells in fired 2 no prob 3rd and last shell jammed. Not sure what's going on here. I'm leaning towards the clip is old and spring tension is not as good as it once was? Any ideas?
Thanks again,
Chris

·
Registered
821 Posts
I am leaning towards the fact that the feed lips of the magazine need to be adjusted closer together. Could you describe the nature of the jam in more detail? Does the rim of the shell get caught under the magazine feed lips, instead of popping up into the bolt face?
When there is another shell waiting in the magazine, the shell being loaded cannot slip under the feed lips because the next shell is in the way. When it is the last round, there is nothing to stop the round from slipping under the feed lips if they are out of adjustment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I am leaning towards the fact that the feed lips of the magazine need to be adjusted closer together. Could you describe the nature of the jam in more detail? Does the rim of the shell get caught under the magazine feed lips, instead of popping up into the bolt face?
When there is another shell waiting in the magazine, the shell being loaded cannot slip under the feed lips because the next shell is in the way. When it is the last round, there is nothing to stop the round from slipping under the feed lips if they are out of adjustment.

it jams nose up partially against the chamber on an angle with the rim end still in the clip. And it only jams up on the last round in the clip.
"EDIT" I believe your right Marvlin, feed lips on the clip seem to be flared out too much and I believe need to be bent inwards, as I did notice that the rounds were quite loose inside the front end of the clip not snug at all!!. To the point you could easily pivot them 90 degrees with very little force.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Had the A1C back out today after having to really work on the clip. The clip was a bit messed up had to bend the feeder lips back inwards, had to reshape the back end of the clip where the rim of the shells sit under. Had to do that a few times to get the all the shells to cycle through. But after alot of elbow grease I believe I've fixed the clip. I think I put about 75 to 80 shells through the gun today getting her sighted in properly with the rear aperture sight...Had alot fun today doing that with my Dad!! He loves the A1C so much he wants to buy it from me! 😆😆
Thanks again to everyone who helped me out I really appreciate it!!
Also I noticed my charging handle is loose in the bolt so much so I can almost pull it out. After shooting it yesterday and while I was cleaning I noticed this. I unscrewed the cap and took springs out and 1 part of the bolt but I didn't take bolt out.
When I bought it from auction the charging bolt would spin around in the bolt, is this fixable or is the little piece of metal in there that holds it in there just worn after 80 years or so?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts