Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is to introduce myself and seek some advice from all you long time members. I am a 3xretired widower and new Marlin 45-70 (1895 classic) owner. The advice I seek is whether or not a Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 is an adequate scope since I normally shoot from 200 yards or less. My brother-in-law from Great Falls, Montana has invited me on a hunt as soon as he can get permit information. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you're here! I don't own a 45-70 but on lever guns I prefer a bit smaller scope (like a 2.5-7X33 at the biggest). I expect some real experts will be along shortly! John

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The minimum power scope I put on anything is a 3-9x40. I would rather have the extra power and not need it then to want it and not have it. Welcome to the forums from southern Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
15,419 Posts
welcome from Texas

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!! The 3-9 40mm Leupold will serve you just fine I run those on all my rifles!!!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard! That scope is surely "adequate" as you ask, and most of this comes down to personal preferences. It would be a larger scope than I would put on it, but no reason you can't if you want. Enjoy...

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Hey Grunt,

Welcome to MO.

May I suggest the Skinner Sight? About Us

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Cajun. By the way I am originally from Louisiana (Pollock) until my country needed me and told me to report to the induction station in Shreveport, which I did, as I figured I owed something for breathing our free air. I surmised it was only for two years and I could do that standing on my head. I did and thought that wasn't too bad so I elected to do it again for 3 years and so that what I did and kept it up until one day they said they were through with me after 30 years and said to get out.
Also thanks for the advise on the scope.

·
Super Moderator
15,894 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Welcome From Alabama... I Use The 3 X 9 X 40 On My 308MX. I Like The Look Of The 33 Better On A Levergun, But My Old Eyes Need All The Light Gathering Help They Can Get.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Welcome from Eastern Tennessee. I have a Leupold scout scope on my .35 Rem. which is adequate for where I hunt. If I were planning to shoot at distances greater than 50 - 75 yards, I would go for a 2 -7 / 3 - 9 power variable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome from Mathews Va. (45 miles NE of you) I'm not sure of your scope choice I'm sure its good I just tend to like a Nikon 3X9X40 BDC Prostaff scope on my center fire rifles. !

·
Registered
14,845 Posts
Welcome to the MarlinOwners Forum from New York

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Hello and welcome from North Carolina, Great bunch of folks here. I to would recommend the skinner sight as msharley suggested. They are way better than factory sights, For me anyway.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts