Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Previously a lurker and absorb-er of information. Just got around to joining.

Have a 30AS, a 917 in .17HMR and recently brought a 1894 in .357.

Brought the 1894 as a project and because I finally found a JM one. It has German (Munich) proof marks from 1989.

I previously had a Remlin 1894 that went to the gunsmith twice and still wouldn't load a round into the chamber without two strokes of the lever. Even after the large burr on the chamber mouth was removed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A project? Surely a '94 in 357, a JM at that, is just about as good as anybody could want as it comes off the shelf?

I know that you guys down there are (almost) considered to be anti-social pariahs if you don't fit a sound moderator, but please don't trash a fine rifle by threading the barrel for such a device. I've seen some advertised on your local trading web site and they are just "wrong"!
I've gathered a few Marlins over the years and the 357s are great shooters, as are they all :)

Keep us updated on your project and enjoy your learnings from the MO site.

49er

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 1894 was pretty rough when I got it. Certainly rougher than the auction photos showed. It got even worse when I dropped it, breaking the toe off the stock and snapping the leaf sight.

I'll get the metalwork refinished in Cerekote and I've got replacement wood coming. Just deciding on what sights to get. Williams, Skinner or something similar.

I won't put a suppressor on the Marlin, but might put one on my Rossi 92 .357. I have have one on the 917 and many of my other guns.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
G'day Sniff.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Hello Sniff and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!!! Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Welcome NZ from the UK. I hear from a friend in NZ its a good country for shooters..... He makes suppressors and all sorts...

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
Welcome to the MO forum from Arkansas. The .357 is one of the most fun to shoot Marlins there are. I also like the 44/40 for sounding the gong.

·
Registered
21,196 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome from Northern New Jersey, the unfriendly gun state

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.