Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I stumbled onto this forum while looking for help on the internet using a Google search. I read some posts but did not find anything specific to my issue which is that my Marlin 39 SA Golden is out of commission. I decided to clean it yesterday and so I took it down to clean the bore. It really wasn't very dirty, and that makes this issue even more ironic. When I tried to reassemble it, I had great difficulty (even more than usual) trying to get the stock end and the barrel end to mesh properly. The best I could do still left about a 1/32 (or less) inch ledge. I didn't want to rely on the screw to force it together. ( I have seen this recommended.) The really alarming part is that the lever will not function now. It hangs up after about an inch of travel.

I have looked at the complete re-build diagrams on this forum and they were more involved than I needed, but I could not determine what to look at in the action to see if there is something broken/misaligned or if the problem is simply that I cannot get the two sections of the rifle to mesh correctly. Any ideas would be welcome. I am pretty sure that this must have happened to other Marlin owners at some time or other. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Hi there and Welcome to the Forum! I don't have the simple answer for you, but I would dis-assemble again, and see if anything obvious is out of alignment. If not, I would re-assemble making sure lever, hammer, etc. was in correct positions and without overtightening the takedown screw, run it in snug. If your tolerances are close, it may need a good snugging to bring the halves together. I have had no issues with mine, but that would be my choice for lack of better info. Post a pic if you can, visuals always help. Someone here may have had the same experience and be able to guide you better. So, sit tight, and they will be along shortly I'm sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I am adding two photos to show how little the gap is. This is with the thumb screw finger tight but very snug. My recollection was that when things are lined up correctly, that one does not need to draw the parts together with the thumb screw. There are some Youtube videos where the presenter claims that the thumb screw will bring the parts together whether they are even close. I don't think that is recommended procedure.

I could take the gun apart again and provide photos if it would help. I don't know what the part arrangement should be so I probably would not recognize an obvious misplacement or misalignment. I really like this rifle and I don't want to screw it up. So I may just take it to a gunsmith as was recommended by Marlin (NOT) support. I will wait on that to see if someone here with experience can guide me to a solution.

Anyway here are photos of both sides of the rifle showing (I hope) the degree of separation of the two sections. IMG_2821.JPG IMG_2822.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Hey thatldo,
I have one that does that exact thing if I don't fully cock the hammer when I reassemble. I know the instructions say 1/2 cock, but it will absolutely not go back together unless it is fully cocked. I also have a non-Mountie version that slides together easily at 1/2 cock. Give it a go.
Oh and welcome o MO.

Reactions: thatlldo

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Micanopy Florida. That is a nice looking rifle you have. I hope what a9mmfan said will get fixed for you. If not someone on here will know what to do.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
Try it again in the full cock position, give it a little rap with the palm of your hand, might do the trick. The reason the lever is being difficult IS because the halves are not mated completely and the takedown screw is not tight enough. once you mate the halves, use a quarter to tighten up the screw. Using a quarter will only allow so much pressure for you to exert by hand, 'cause you can't put a lot of umph behind it. Some 39 model are fussy and they all are a tight fit, there is a sweet spot...you just have to find it. Good luck and keep us in the loop. Mr fixit

·
Registered
20,523 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Welcome to MO. Hope you get your 39 sorted out soon.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello and Welcome thatlldo, to the Marlin Owners Forum, from the state of Louisiana!!!
Hope you get the information you need to repair your gun, I'm sure you will, just stick around.

Team 45-70 #1214
cajunjohn

"This is America," "Everyone's got a bone to pick."

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Welcome from Connecticut

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
First off Hello and welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
[email protected]

With that said I do hope this will help you. The diagram on the right should let you see if any of your parts are broken. Just look and compare. Best of Luck.
These are thumb nail so click to enlarge
Marlin_39A39M_schem late model.jpg Marlin_39AOldModel_schem Early Model.jpg

Reactions: thatlldo

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. This is interesting. The instructions I have say "don't touch the lever" and it is in there twice. They don't mention cocking the hammer. I have no knowledge in this area and I am reluctant to experiment for fear that I will screw something up.

Anyway, I tried cocking the hammer back all the way before reassembling and it did not seem to make a difference. Maybe I should keep trying, but the outcome is discouraging. I still have the same 'gap' and the lever will not go forward more than an inch or so.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Welcome from New York squirrel huntin' country.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Welcome from an old shooter.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Kentucky! The first time I took my 39M down, I thought something was very wrong. It was VERY tight. And it was very tight going back together as well.
Sounds like yours is too.
Question, when it is " almost together " Is it tight to take back apart? Or is it not closing like its hitting on something and then separates back into two halves easily??
The Mods might be able to move this to either the rimfire or gunsmithing section for more help.
Some receiver halves are pretty tight. And no, you shouldn't be able to move the lever till fully assembled.
Again, Welcome and "You Are In good Hands "
BoB

1 - 20 of 33 Posts