Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, been dissecting the internet ever since I received my grandfather's Marlin Model 42!
I'd like thank the collective because I am now able to identify it's parts, working condition and test the lockup.
I have a fully function shotgun and am ready to go out with some light loads to fire!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Welcome from SW Ohio.

Reactions: Skeletor

·
Super Moderator
16,652 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL 444 MARLIN®" COUNTRY!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I appreciate the welcome, there is large wealth of information here and some funny correspondence!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's some other's as well. The varnish on the butt-stock was toast after grandpa pulled it out of the upper garage storage, being that he taught me woodworking we decided we are going to redo it. I know everyone's hearts just dropped of the earth, but please understand this is something we decided to do together. At the moment the stock is lightly stripped. I was very careful while removing only the damaged varnish in order to prep for the re-coat, I maintained ALL original wear and patina, and spent hours ensuring this. Buried deep in the website i found some folks discussing the old marlin finish procedures and was very happy to find that. Adding this to be honest about the condition if anyone noticed and asked why the stock wasn't glossy like the forearm. The forearm retains its original varnish, zero cracks or peeling, was leagues better than the stock so I'm leaving it. Will show everyone after I finish the varnish dip and pumice rub!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Howdy from South East Alaska!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.