Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member here.

I'm glad I found this site (I know, everyone says that). I purchased a new Marlin 1894SS in 44 Mag last week. I was all excited and headded to the range on the weekend, boy was I disapointed when I got there. I couldn't get a shell to chamber at all. It didn't matter how hard I racked the lever, ever single shell would bind up in the throat of the chamber as it entered on an angle. If I double tapped the lever the round would straighten out and feed in.
I packed it all back up and headded home upset with my new unusable toy. I called Marlin and the dealer I bought it from. The dealer sounded very surprised I was having feed issues with my new gun, but Marlin on the otherhand was very honest in stating "we have been having an ongoing quality control issue with our 1894 production line. Send it back and we will take care of it" She then sent me the RA paper work and account number for the shipping company. Pleasant customer service, but not exactly what I was looking for in a new gun purchase.
Long story short, I was late leaving work and didn't make the shipping depot in time. I took my broken gun home a spent the next few hours playing with it before I had to send it on it's way for who knows how long. I took a flashlight and magnifying glass to the chamber after reading a few post on this site and sure enough I had a nice sharp burr of steel on the lower edge of the chamber mouth. I mean a sliver the size of a hair, I was able to rub it free with a jag and patch. I then polished it up as best I could and tried to chamber another round...I went in smoothly! The next one didn't. Back to Marlin Owners I go and found the stickey on the extrator spring. I straightened the spring some and tried again, two full tubes of Hornady 240gr cycled through the action smooth as silk!

I canceled my return and will now put a few boxes down the pipe and see how it goes from here.

Thank you Marlin Owners!

-CZ

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Welcome, CZ!

I love it when a plan comes together! You are going to have some major fun!

Jon

·
Super Moderator
16,351 Posts
Welcome from Olympia, WA; in the great Pacific Northwest - THE "ORIGINAL" MARLIN® COUNTRY!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,586 Posts
Zuk,

Welcome to the forum from Connecticut..................The Original birthplace of Marlin firearms.....

Glad to hear you got your problems squared away.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Welcome! I live almost spitting distance from your great country.. This really is the best place to solve just about any Marlin issue. I had a similar experience with my 1894 and once that tiny (almost invisible with my eyes) burr was smoothed out it cycled perfectly..

·
Registered
711 Posts
Glad you got her fixed yourself. Who knows, it may have come back in worse condition than you sent it.
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
71 Posts
welcome to the mo. your going to love that .44. i use it more than any other for gofers to sand rats to target shooting.

have a great time with yours

nailer

·
Registered
409 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from Eastern Ontario, Cda. (Ottawa)

Sincerely,

JDP

Team 35 # 88
Team 30-30 # 82
Team 39 # 31

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome from British Columbia.

Its a good thing you fixed it, having a gun sent in for warranty work in Canada can take a very, VERY long time.

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Hi and welcome from Bundaberg, Australia.

·
Registered
20,689 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all the warm welcomes, one from each corner of our fine continent!

MilPsych, your not too far from me. I have property near the Ottawa Valley, 63A is my WMU for antlerless. I purchased the 1894 specifically for dogging the hills up there.

I'm hoping for an Elk tag this year too, we have a few around my cottage and they don't seem to be very shy. Could you imagine being one of the first people to leagally harvest an Elk in Ontario in over 90 years. :) "fingers crossed"

-CZ

·
Registered
137 Posts
Greetings from a former "Bluenoser" and now a Floridiot, hope you get the permit and then the elk.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
C_Z, welcome to MO!! Glad you got the problem solved and the Marlin working properly. As you have seen we have a wealth of Marlin Knowledge here. Take care, John.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Welcome! I had a similiar problem with my new 1894c Cowboy Limited. It simply would not feed.
I was going to send it back also, but decided to try the repairs myself. I followed info. on MO and was able to totally correct my problems.

This Marlin Owners site is a wealth of information and a great place to be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took the Marlin out for some fun on Sunday. I put 50 rounds down the pipe with only one fail to fire and one round requiring a double clutch of the lever to chamber. The primer on the FTF did have a decent strike in it though, sh!t happens. I am NOW a happy Marlin owner.

Thanks again!!

-CZ

1 - 19 of 19 Posts